Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    & Forum Contributor 2008

Default skb tenor case-hand luggage?

Immigrating Sunday,I've packed everything, in particular the tape measure and was wondering/hoping that my tenor in its skb gig case will fit in the hold.
    The women at the airline kept saying 45 inches, but i couldnt establish whether that was square or what the deal was. If they don't allow me to take it hand luggage, i'll hitch with it!
    Anyone taken a tenor long haul?
    Dave

As Billie Holiday put it, "Lester sings in his horn; you listen to him and can almost hear the words"

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar

The 45 inches typically means total of length + width + height, for example a typical carry-on bag measuring 22L 12W by 11H. That said, I've flown with my Walt Johnson tenor case, which exceeds that total by 10 inches or so. All depends on the size of the overhead compartments in the plane, how friendly the airline employees are on that day, and sheer luck.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Forum Contributor 2006

I flew British Airways to UK at Christmas with my tenor in a protec (shaped) case. After reveiwing all the advice I could find on this forum I decided to take the casual approach and just carry it on with confidence. I had no problem. I think if you contact the Airline they will only recite what their rules state, and according to the rules a tenor in any style of case is usually too big.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    & Forum Contributor 2008

I agree with Kimsey, just go for it...oh i did. Thanks guys.

I have to say i could have fit my tenor in 3 times over in the hold with Emirates, and actually put it in someone elses as our hand luggage already took up at 2 on its own.
    So here i am in sunny Australia with not a gig to my name and contemplating busking ( as suggested by my wife to pay for a fine after aquiring a speeding ticket on our 3rd day) damn lower speed limits!

Anyway here goes, anyone know any good jazz jams in Perth? All i can find is surfers rock Dude

Cheers
    Dave

As Billie Holiday put it, "Lester sings in his horn; you listen to him and can almost hear the words"