Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rock & Roll Soprano

21K views 94 replies 49 participants last post by  ofafeather 
#1 ·
Been doing the Google thing and came up with little or no info. Anyone know of any Rock & Roll Soprano sax players? Would be interested in hearing of any artist or sound clips.

Thanks,

Als

#3 ·
Mel Collins did some great stuff an soprano and tenor. Here is a discography . I've no idea which is tenor, which is soprano - other than the King Crimson stuff has a good deal of soprano and the Eric Clapton work is on tenor.

Of course it depends on what you consider to be rock'n'roll - Jeff Coffin plays a mean sop with Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. I think the tune 'low Rider' fades out with a soprano solo. Hopefully John Laughter can chime in with something more authoritative....

Ah... the ole cap'n.. Sam with the showing scalp flat-top, particular about the point it made....

#6 ·
astuart, a few Top 40 hits would suggest that most of the soprano work is rather laid back;

SHISH-KEBAB-RALPH MARTERIE-?-ALTO & SOPRANO
LITTLE DIPPER-MICKEY MOZART QUARTET-?-SOPRANO
THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT-THE TOKENS-?-SOPRANO
I’M AN URBAN SPACEMAN-BONZO DOG DOO-DAH BAND-BOB KERR-SOPRANO
IT’S TOO LATE-CAROLE KING (per L.P. credits) CURTIS AMY-SOPRANO
HELLO IT’S ME-TODD RUNDGREN-MICHAEL BRECKER-SOPRANO
JUST YOU N’ ME-CHICAGO-WALT PARAZADER-SOPRANO
LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAID-WINGS-TOM SCOTT-SOPRANO
SMOKE FROM A DISTANT FIRE-SANFORD/TOWNSEND BAND
OTIS HALE-TENOR
JON CLARKE-SOPRANO
FOOL IF YOU THINK IT’S OVER-CHRIS REA-STEVE GRAINGER-SOPRANO
SAME OLD LANG SYNE-DAN FOGELBERG-MICHAEL BRECKER-SOPRANO
LOVE PLUS ONE-HAIRCUT ONE HUNDRED-PHIL SMITH-SOPRANO
MAKE LOVE STAY-DAN FOGELBERG-AL GARTH-SOPRANO
OVERKILL-MEN AT WORK-GREG HAM-SOPRANO
FORTRESS AROUND YOUR HEART-STING-BRANFORD MARSALIS-SOPRANO
CAPTAIN OF HER HEART-DOUBLE-CHRISTIAN OSTERMEIER-SOPRANO
ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE-MEL SMITH & KIM WILDE-PETE THOMAS-TENOR & SOPRANO
SWEETEST SMILE-BLACK-MARTIN GREEN-SOPRANO
BABY COME TO ME-REGINA BELLE-PREMIK RUSSELL TUBBS-SOPRANO
END OF THE INNOCENCE-DON HENLEY-WAYNE SHORTER-SOPRANO
GIRL I’M GONNA MISS YOU-MILLI VANILLI-MEL COLLINS-SOPRANO
PACIFIC 202-808 STATE-GRAHAM MASSEY -SOPRANO
GENTLE-DINO-?-SOPRANO
ANTS MARCHING-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-SOPRANO
PERFECT DAY-VARIOUS ARTISTS-COURTNEY PINE-SOPRANO
WHERE ARE YOU GOING-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-SOPRANO
KENNY G-too many too list.

Actually a few of the jazz players tend to really push a soprano which is something that you might want to look into if you would like to hear some interesting work. For example, John Coltrane's "Inch Worm."

I am sure the rock soprano is out there but I just have not heard it. Perhaps more so in the blues area?

#79 ·
I'M AN URBAN SPACEMAN-BONZO DOG DOO-DAH BAND-BOB KERR-SOPRANO
Are you sure of that, John ? I thought Rodney Slater was the one responsible. AFAIK "I'm The Urban Spaceman" was recorded in 1968, after Bob Kerr had left the band. Anyway, Bob Kerr plays trumpet and cornet: I don't think he plays soprano sax (though I could be wrong).

#7 ·
Thanks Guys and JohnL for the info. I will check these out. What I was looking for and haven't heard is a special funky sound or rock sounding riffs that a rock player would use if he played soprano. Similar to tenor or alto but played on soprano.

Als

#8 ·
astuart said:
What I was looking for and haven't heard is a special funky sound or rock sounding riffs that a rock player would use if he played soprano. Similar to tenor or alto but played on soprano.

Als
In that case, definitely check out Soul Serenade by King Curtis. He plays very funky licks on the soprano on that one. No reason you can't play the same licks on soprano as on alto or tenor. It's just that the tone/timbre is so different.

#12 ·
Thanks Admark, been listening to Marsalis on Sting's "Dream of the Blue Turtles" and the song "If you Love Somebody, Set Them Free" has great sax licks. Not sure if this is alto or soprano but I think either would work. I also found a midi for the song.. http://www.sunncity.com/music/mid6/if-you-love-somebody_sting.mid.. The song track says tenor but the riffs are what I was looking for.

Als

#15 ·
Kenny Brooks of Ratdog (Bob Weir) is playing some GREAT soprano. They did a show at the House of Blues in Atlantic City in early September, and his soprano solo on Iko-Iko was way cool. He's got some kind of very collectible Selmer with a super sound. If you haven't seen this band, it's great sax!

#19 ·
What's the guy's name in the Dave Matthews Band? He plays soprano a lot.

#21 ·
^yeah, leroi moore has a very distinct sound, there are more techincally gifted saxophonists but moore is very talented and one of my favorites to listen to. he's very smooth. he's usually on tenor or alto, but he has some very good soprano solos too, although his soprano stuff tends to be very lyrical so it may not be exactly what you're looking for. but he's a good funk style player too so maybe you can find some good stuff like that from him.

check out "Seek Up" from Dave Matthews Bands's "Live At Red Rocks" album. Also "What Would You Say" from the Listener Supported Album.

#22 ·
lotus, can you help me with the names other Top 40 hits that the band has made which feature some solo work by Mr. Moore. I would like to add the names to my CD book. These are the ones I am aware of to date;

#21 ANTS MARCHING-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-SOPRANO
#22 WHAT WOULD YOU SAY-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-ALTO
#15A SO MUCH TO SAY-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-BARITONE
#39 TOO MUCH-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-BARITONE
#13 STAY (WASTING TIME)-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-TENOR
#15 WHERE ARE YOU GOING-DAVE MATTHEWS BAND-LEROI MOORE-SOPRANO

Did "Seek Up" make the charts? Thanks.

#25 ·
nope seek up never made the charts, great song but it wasnt a single.
here are the only two other ones i can think of that feature Moore, but neither one really has a solo. Grey street is mostly riff and background playing, Crash only has one note. I think you've already got all the singles with solos or any other prominent playing from him other than Grey Street.

Grey Street (album "Busted Stuff") Leroi Moore-Alto (I think)
Crash Into Me (album "Crash") Leroi Moore-Baritone (just one note at the very beginning)

and yeah that article was great, its the first good article i've found about him even though I've tried looking before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.