Sax on the Web Forum banner

Soprano Tone Problem

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Mark5047 
#1 ·
After playing tenor and alto (and even bass) for many years, I just purchased a soprano, and wow is this a different beast! When playing the horn, I noticed that the tone (not pitch) would change suddenly for no apparent reason. It’s not a squeak – the tone just gets thin and difficult to play. I decided to try some mouthpiece testing by itself and noticed that when starting with a low tone and gradually raising it, it would suddenly jump up unpredictable. I’ve never noticed this with my alto or tenor mouthpieces.

I certainly don’t have my soprano chops yet, but this doesn’t make sense. I’m playing on a no name mouthpiece and lig with a fibercell 2.5 read. Has anyone else noticed or had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Gary T

#2 ·
I had a similar problem and it was due to the chamber opening for me.. I was given a Dukoff D6 and added my Fibercell 2.5 reed and have not had an issue since. I use a Rovner Light along with it.

#3 ·
Gary T: I've been playing soprano for 49+ years and I find Fibracells give my experienced soprano chops a real work-out. Cane reeds are much easier to control, especially when your embouchure is tired. Do I use Fibracells? Yes, but only with selected mouthpieces. Most of the time, I use cane on open pieces. With Fibracells, I can only use them on more closed pieces. DAVE

#6 ·
Yeah... I'm preety new w/ soprano also. I had no trouble getting all the notes out, but i cant get in tune...lol. Maybe this I need to practice more. About the tone... i'll see if i can help. Probably won't be able to help more than a guy who's been playin for 49+ years though. I'll come back later and put my thoughts about the tone in.

#7 ·
If your playing a no name starter mouthpiece my guess is you are probably wasting your time worring about tone problems esp since you already have a developed embouchure.
Try out a bunch of good mouthpieces and find something you like, then you can start worrying about technical problems at least knowing its not the equipment.

#8 ·
I dont know why, but I cannot play Fibracells on sop. I have tried with various mouthpieces but I have had the same issue - they are just unpredictable and dont sound as full. I did try several strengths and had pretty much the same issue. On a whim I tried cane and was really surprised at how much better it sounded, with much better control. I also found significanly improved results on a Vandoren mouthpiece. Guess I will be sticking with that, but I sure miss the Fibracell!
FWIW, I do play Fibracells on alto and tenor with various mouthpieces and have not had problems.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.