Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Clarinets of Questionable Quality - aka CSO

Taken from The Clarinet BBoard. CSO is a tongue-in-cheek name for a clarinet of questionable value or clarinet shaped object. In case this link disappears here is what there is so far:

Laval
    Rex
    Diamond
    Monique
    Wexler
    Weimer
    Heinse
    Gruskin
    Parrot
    Bestler
    BandNow
    Cecilio
    Simba
    First Act
    Harmony
    Lindo
    Selman
    Bentley
    Hawk
    Iolite
    Sky
    Schill
    Bridgecraft
    Wernburg
    Jinyin
    Heimer
    Maxtone
    Artemis
    Venus
    Cibaili
    Grand
    Blue Moon
    Steuben
    Top Tone
    Earlham
    Lark
    Palatino
    Elkhart Series
    Johnson
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

They forgot Buffet!

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by retread
    They forgot Buffet!
    Smile when you say that partner.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

You mean Buff-it!

You know, maybe we could to the same thing. It could be really helpful. You could put in the area on advising what to look for in buying a new horn - you know, the section no one reads before they post "ok, so now i wanna get a tenr sax so wat shud i by"

It could also start some wonderfully entertaining flame wars.
    Ohhh man, I'm getting wet just thinking about that. Do it. Oh please, Do it!
    Last edited by gary; 02-01-2006 at 05:01 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Add "Lark" to that list, worst clarinet ive ever played.
    I like to play...

Or is that boooo-fay?????

Add to the list 'Benson' and 'Jason'. I'd swear they came out of the same factory in China... I challenge the best clarinettist on this forum to play a half-decent high G on those wretched things.
    A horn in the hand is worth two on the stand

The problem is, they can easlily change the name. In fact, if I sell junk, that would be my plan: sell it under one name until word gets out, then change the lable and start over. It's not hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JfW
    The problem is, they can easlily change the name. In fact, if I sell junk, that would be my plan: sell it under one name until word gets out, then change the lable and start over. It's not hard to do.
    That's why it's important to research what you want to buy and use a little common sense.

Gee product "X" normally sells for $500 to $1000, but some guy in China makes the same thing for $50.......and it's of the highest quality and brings much luck and happiness.........

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeck20
    Gee product "X" normally sells for $500 to $1000, but some guy in China makes the same thing for $50.......and it's of the highest quality and brings much luck and happiness.........
    And if it's "larruppng" that seals the deal!

From the ones I've seen, they seem to put more effort into the case than the instrument. The 'Jason' in particular had a case that would put a Buffet B12 case to shame.

Pity the clarinet didn't even fit together properly...
    A horn in the hand is worth two on the stand

Techs around here refuse to repair the cheap horns sold at Costco, because they can't be made to play well.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retread
    They forgot Buffet!
    Given all the trash-talking that goes on over there, I'm kinda surprised not to see Selmer mentioned!

I'm waiting for such a brand labled "Hamster" to appear. I think that would be quite funny for no apparent reason.

Distinguished SOTW Member Razzy's Avatar

I have a clarinet called "Henkin" and it plays amazingly well for a plastic student instrument. My teachers have played it and were very surprised. One plays an R13 and the other plays a Selmer, both in various orchestras pits etc. So in case a Henkin ever crosses your path... firstly, be calm, don't make any sudden movements, and play dead... but secondly, try it out with an open mind. It puts many higher level clarinets to shame.
    My quintet album - Released June 2013. Please enjoy.
    Glenn Miller Orchestra - See when we're near you and come on out to a show! Ask me about comp tickets.
    Mike Lorenz - a great musician who I collaborate with often. He also produced my album.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Henkins were made (or at least marketed) by Conn, named after Dan Henkin (I think that's right) who at the time was president of the company. Some of you may recall when Keilwerths were marketed in the US by Conn and labelled as "DJH-Modified" (DJH was Dan J. Henkin).
    Dave Spiegelthal

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

The Yamaha YCL-20 is a well-known and respected brand and model. You can take it to any repair technician in the country and they will know what you have and how to make it do just right. I've play clarinet since 1964 and I've never seen or heard of a Bridgecraft. Most repair techs would be in the same position; many would refuse to work on it. Not saying if that's right or wrong . . . just that it would happen. I'd go with the 20 in a heartbeat.

As the Yamaha 20 is used, it could need a lot spent on it to make it play well, which is one of the potential pitfalls of buying used. But there are also new instruments that don't play well out of the box, and some that can't be made to play well. I suggest looking for a used Yamaha that’s recently been serviced by a well-respected independent technician. Or, you might consider one of these instruments: http://www.clarinuts.com/clarinuts/p...rinetItems.asp

Default Gibson/Baldwin brands?

Does anyone have any info. about the Gibson/Baldwin (Epoch)brand of instruments that Target is currently selling? I know Target is not the usual place to buy instruments but the names Gibson and Baldwin caught my attention. Thanks

[Gandalfe: I edited out the long, unnecessary quote from the first post in this thread.]
    Last edited by Gandalfe; 10-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Forum Contributor 2014

Maybe those names are meaningful if you are buying a guitar (Gibson) or piano (Baldwin). Don't waste your time on an instrument that doesn't play. If you can't play test it yourself, which would probably convince you to steer clear, maybe you can get an instructor to assist you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast