Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Peavey KB60 keyboard amp

Anyone familiar with this model? I got one used for a good price.
    Its got 50 watts, 12" speaker and a tweeter.

It seems to have no "line out' jack but it does have a "headphone out" that is 1/4".

My question is if anyone knows how this jack work-- can i run a line out from this jack to a PA? Also if i plug a cord into this jack will it shut off the internal speaker? If so, any instructions on how to modify this myself so i can use this unit as a monitor on stage and feed a line out to a PA?

It has a weird effects/ send/receive too. It looks like it has an effects send.receive jack in one jack. I havent figured out how this is supposed to work either.

I know i can experiment and also obtain a manual but i thought id ask if anyone here can tell me anything they learned about this amp on these issues.

Thanks.

incidentally i tried to use this amp at a blues jam tonight, with a mic on a stand, playing tenor sax, playing through the amp rather than beign mic'd through the PA. This did notwork well, Ihad the amp up to "7" on volume and it wasnt doing well competing wtih the guitars. Any more than "7", or ifi tried to use the spring reverb in the amp, i got feedback.

I have the KB100 - just one size bigger - I used to use it in rock bands for my synth monitor - sometimes i'd put the sax in there too.

Overall, my experience is in line with Gary's - For its size, there just doesn't seem to be much oomph (and for Peavey's that's all you can expect, it certainly won't be a quality sound). The larger 100 i found was good enough volume for rock band synth - but the sax volume was barely ok - not what I would've expected for such a large amp.

I also have a little "Peavey Backstage" guitar practice amp - that thing is amazing for rock gigs - it is VERY small and light - and packs more volume than the KB100!! It sounds terrible, but I've found when I'm playing some of the pop/rock gigs for the college club circuit - quality of sound becomes less of a concern as much as just plain being able to hear yourself sandwhiched between a guitar player and a drummer

I definitely wouldn't rely on EITHER of these amps for sound other than bare monitor.
    Tenor: Mark VI (JJDV 8*) Alto: SA80II (Beechler S6S)
    Sop:SA80II (Selmer F HR)
    Clarinet - R13, Eddie Daniels mpc, Flute- EF Dean Custom

My audio electrical engineer friend says most likely i could use the headphone jack output to a PA (if i got the right plugs).

Also he says if the headphone jack cuts out the internal speaker it isnt that hard to rewire the unit to bypass this. ITs not much of an amp anyway but that way i could use it as a powered monitor on stage.

HE also says it isnt that unusual to have one jack serve as both an in and out effects jack, it must be a stereo plug, one "channel" on the plug is in, and the other is out, but i dont know how standard this kind of plug was ever used for effects in and out but he says he has heard of it before. If i am using a mixer it is probably easier to run the effects through the mixer and just feed a monitor output to this amp from the mixer. But if i wanted to use a guitar pedal or something wtih no mixer, then i could figure out hwo to get the effects pedal to use this 1/4" stereo plug. Maybe thats how guitar effects pedals work i dont know....

If i use a mixer i dont need the line out jack from the amp.

I got the manual for this amp from the peavey website. It has 2 different effect send/receive sets of jacks.
    One is a combo jack for send receive that uses a stereo 1/4" plug.
    This is pre EQ.

the other one is post EQ and it uses 2 jacks-- PREAMP OUT and POWER AMP in.

Also the PREAMP OUT can be used as a LINE OUT to a PA (so i dont have to use the headphone out jack. The headphone out jack cuts off the internalspeaker.)

Also there are HIGH and LOW GAin input jacks on this amp, on each of 2 channels. The HIGH one is the one to use for general use. (I wasusing the low one to avoid feedback but this results in less gain.)

This is all explained in the manual.