Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Help identifying a Couesnon Sax, alto or sop

I've found a Couesnon in a second-hand shop in France, it appears to be a "1900" Opera model from 1929. As I play clarinet I thought it would be interesting to try the sax. It is not a tenor, but I'm not sure if it is an alto or soprano (it is curved). The pads need changing and there is no mouthpiece so I can't play it to get a note. Can anyone help me? It measures 54 cm from the top of the tube (without the crook) to the base of the bell. I can email pictures... Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hamwa
    It measures 54 cm from the top of the tube (without the crook) to the base of the bell. I can email pictures... Thanks.
    It's definitely an alto, not a soprano, but at 54cm it may be high pitch rather than low (which plays in tune with modern instruments).

Thanks Stitch. Have you any idea what I should be looking for in terms of new pads? The original pads are glued and have no resonator, i have found a couple of pages on Ebay, one is in the uk ,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOPRANO-SAXOPH...QQcmdZViewItem
    and the other one is in France,
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MakeTrack=true

Would these pads be okay? Also, one more small question (!!)...Can you give me some advice on a mouthpiece? I am looking at an Otto Link 6 or a Meyer 7or 8. I use a Vandoren B45 on my clarinets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamwa
    Thanks Stitch. Have you any idea what I should be looking for in terms of new pads? .....

.......Also, one more small question (!!)...Can you give me some advice on a mouthpiece? I am looking at an Otto Link 6 or a Meyer 7or 8. I use a Vandoren B45 on my clarinets.
    I'm afraid I'm not suitably qualified to answer Hamwa, but I'm sure those that are will chime in.

With regard to the high pitch issue, you might take a look at http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin...ad.php?t=29934 - I measured a HP Besson at 54cm, but the sax under discussion in that thread is 50cm, so it's hard to be sure what the Couesnon would be. There are other Couesnon owners on this board, so perhaps one of them will be able to help (I have a much later model, which I'll measure in a while, though you'd probably be better asking someone with a similar vintage sax).

Quote Originally Posted by stitch
    I have a much later model, which I'll measure in a while ....
    Just measured my Couesnon Monopole alto: 54 - 55cm, so it looks like yours is probably Low Pitch, which is good news.

Default couesnon sop sax

Hi, Hamwa and Stitch

I have a Couesnon soprano sax, 347 serial number, but I don't know about the history, or price, or collectionist of this sax. It have two octave keys. If you know about it, send me information to ohchiques@msn.com. I apreciate that. Thank you.