P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: DC Pro Series II

Default DC Pro Series II

Anyone heard anything about these??? Brand new, black nickle & gold plate for around $800.00-good, bad or otherwise?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

lisag

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

Must be the same company that offers the "Kansas City Jazz" tenors.

If memory serves, the DC Pros are an in house brand of Mr. Dominic Cucinotti(sp), of Monique "fame". I would stay away, as if you look, aside from the engraving they look like Monique copies (copy of a copy?), and his quote of "IT IS A COMBINATION BETWEEN THE PROJECTION AND BRILLIANCE OF A MARK VI SOUND AND THE FULLNESS AND BODY OF A KING SUPER 20 WITH THE SMOOTH ACTION OF THE SUPER ACTION 80" is copied from add to add, irregardless of wether the add is for a used King, Conn, or Martin, or a new DC Pro, Monique, or Keilwerth. Either Mark VI's suck (I'm using sarcasm, no flames plz), or.... well, you get what I mean.

Don't hold me to it, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere on his site him comparing the Cannonball to his DC Pro, and he all but said his DC Pro was a cheap, lower quality substitue. Be ware....
    "If you don't wanna be miked for a solo, just play Bari Sax." - me

Default DC Pro

These horns are a prime example of that happens when you pay someone 5 cents a weeks to build musical instruments in a factory. $800-900 piece of crap. But hey folks remember this horn plays better than any Mark VI out there.

Default DC Pro Series II

Hi, you guys. In answering your question about the DC Pro Series II, I have purchased 2 horns from Dominique (sp). The Monique Pro Series II Tenor, and the DC II Soprano. I was pleasantly surprised with both horns. The Soprano plays very well and has a very good tone, esp on the higher end.
    I've been playing since '73, and have had a few horns. So, do I love my horns? Actually I like them alot. Although I'm looking for a Mk VI Tenor with 120-129xxx serial numbers.
    For a new player, or accomplished player, the DC should be fine, esp if you are on a tight budget.
    Rick..

It appears that they are also the suppliers for the Sugal horns :P (unless DC stands for something other than "Design Concepts"). Wonder why they're so much more expensive with Sugal's name on them- Will Dom have then next?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=16203

Just my $0.02

john

Quote Originally Posted by john
    It appears that they are also the suppliers for the Sugal horns :P (unless DC stands for something other than "Design Concepts"). Wonder why they're so much more expensive with Sugal's name on them- Will Dom have then next?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=16203

Just my $0.02

john
    John,

I personally doubt that Gary is buying the same -CENSORED- that Dominic is buying. Gary is more of a better quality kind of guy rather then just price.

As for Dominics horns, we dont care from them. We have had several of the Monique instruments in my shop for repair and have had opinions ranging from complete junk to not terrible... but never what they are marketed to be.

My favorite was a DC Pro flute. Silver plated body, open hole, low C foot, gold plated keys and lip plate that the customer paid about $450.00 for if I remember correctly. Compared to a Major Name Brand flute (Armstrong, Gemeinhardt, Yamaha) can be bought for less and be far superior.

Ugh...

My post was meant more tongue-in-cheek than real but...

It isn't s big stretch to see 2 DC pro horns with the same identifying marks and names and assume that they may be similar or identical. Dom may have them next month

I did click on the Design Concepts link provided by Sugal on his soprano ad at ebay and his tenors certainly look to me like the same same "-CENSORED- that Dominic is buying." Probably just a coincidence.

just my $0.02

john

-yes it's still toungue-in-cheek

I bought a DC Pro II A year ago. I really like it. No problems yet. Really pretty horn too. Hope this helps. As for Dominic, he was very courteous on the phone and answered my emails quickly. Better than I can say for some of the others. I tried to get others to answer questions about their horns, with no avail. Give Dominic a try.

Default monique

I have a monique, silver plated alto. Everytime I play it I laugh. I'm laughing at you guys. It cost me $325 new and it plays great. Wish I had a tenor too.

I just recently bought a DC pro series two unlaquered tenor and it sounds fantastic. It is my first tenor and I had almost no trouble swihing from my alto. As far as i can tell the DC pro is a great easy to play horn definently worth the money

Default Re: monique

Quote Originally Posted by saxcop
    I have a monique, silver plated alto. Everytime I play it I laugh. I'm laughing at you guys. It cost me $325 new and it plays great. Wish I had a tenor too.
    It is great that you love your Monique. You are fortunate to have found a winner. The trouble is that there are good ones and really bad ones out there and its impossible to know a good Monique unless you play it.

Monique and Maxtone are a couple of the "brand names" that come from multiple Asian manufacturers.
    Jon Lloyd, aka Stencilman

Default Re: DC Pro Series II

I have a DC Pro Series II unfinished alto & agree with Big Jim - I think is great horn - it's tone is top notch and the feel is good - I have played pro. since the mid 70's & must this horn sounds as good as any! But player remember reeds & mouthpieces are very important - but most of all the man makes the horn / the horn does not make the man. I meet lots of players who brag about how good their $2000-6000 horn but they have a $200-600 dollar tone I would much rather it be the other way around (more money to spend on my family).
    thanx
    funkyroyx01
    PS; Dom. was great to deal with for me.

I have dealt with Dominic on Ebay and he is honest, packs well and ships fast. I bought my Emerson flute from him and it plays very well. Hope this helps anyone thinking about dealing with Dominic's.
    Yanagisawa A-901 alto w/92 bronze neck, Vandoren AL-3 mouthpiece w/Bonade lig, La Voz med reeds
    Keilwerth SX90R black nickel tenor, Vandoren TL-4 mouthpiece, Rovner Platinum lig La Voz med hard reeds
    Yanagisawa T-901 tenor
    Sankyo Etude flute
    Miyazawa flute

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I still have my series to unlac tenor that I got from dansax64. Great horn, great intonation (comparatively) and better tone than my Cannonball. That being said though It is chaply made. Has needed a bit of work and the action leaves something to be desired.

As a back up horn I say it's the S***
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CUSTOM: DG LT Studio, CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vando Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

I'm not sure what to think of Dominic. He's currently selling a used (for 3 months) Topsax Series II for more than Bob himself sells them new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPSAX-PRO-SAX-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Forum Contributor 2013

Apparently his practices are less than desirable. I think he also tried to sell his business on Ebay for something like a million bux. None the less the horns are good
    (0.o ) CUSTOM: DG LT Studio, CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vando Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Well I know Domenic personally, bought my 1st horn from him when he had his old shop on the Cambidge/Somerville, MA line.

I was buying a horn, and had a budget. He showed me a room full of horns and said "All of these are $200.00, take your pick". My buddy (an excellent player) was helping me find a horn, and after playing about 10 of them we came across a William Frank that sounded really nice. After hearing it play Domenic turned to me, 100&#37; serious and said "that one is $350.00".

He is pleasant enough, but in my opinion a real snake in the grass. I personally would not buy anything from him ever again.

GHEN

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by GiseleS1976 View Post
    i have a pro 420 series ups and the on-led keeps blinking and the alarm sounding like every 10 seconds. i checks the trouble shooting manuals and it said the reset the breaker on the back of the ups but when i push the button in it doesnt do anything. i check the ac plug and its not the house plug. please i need help what can i do?
    Wt......