Sax on the Web Forum banner

Strange Dolnet

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Wind_Mill 
#1 ·
I've found a very odd Dolnet alto for sale on ebay. It appears to be a Studium (blurry pic) but does very clearly say Dolnet on the Bell, and has the Deco engraving. The keywork looks like an M70 (that is, like a Buffet S1 or a Selmer: the bell key rods come up to the pinky table on the right of the bell brace). There seems to be a high F#. Here's where it gets weird: the key guards aren't the half-octagonal Dolnet ones. They're more like those on some Noblets I've seen (as does the keywork), or even French Vitos. And the bell-brace is a Selmer-style ring. I'm waiting for the serial #.

I've noticed that a few later Mantes horns have this Selmer-like keywork, but it's always a bit different: the last (I'm assuming) Beaugnier Vitos, Noblet, the M70. I find it fascinating, but then I probably have too much time on my hands... ;)

Any ideas, anyone? Is this an unknown treasure or a Frankensax? Any advice hugely appreciated.

#3 ·
Me again - OK, either I've gone insane - possible - or this is a near-carbon copy of a Selmer MK VII. The only real difference I can make out is that the bell-body joint is soldered, not screw-fitted a la Selmer. Even the case looks the same. Dolnet-Selmer stencil or the ultimate in dodgy gear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.