P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honky Tonk part 2

Default Honky Tonk part 2

I'm looking for a copy of Honky Tonk(part 2) by Bill Doggett for tenor sax. If you do have a copy, please e-mail me at saxmaniac777@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by CMelodyMan; 11-29-2005 at 09:53 PM.

SOTW Columnist
    Forum Contributor/Distinguished SOTW Member

David, it is on the way.

Hi John - Thanks for your earlier tips on the notes to Honky Tonk it saved me ages using Transcribe (a brilliant tool by the way). Would it be possible to also have a copy of the Honky Tonk score ? Jazzsurfer@mac.com

Thanks
    Jazzsurfer

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Hi John,

If you have a transcription of the original tenor solo from "Honky Tonk," I'd love to have a copy of that myself. What a great tune--especially for impromptu horn sections!

Rory <rleitch@dal.ca>

ps. In your opinion, whose modern version of Honky Tonk is the coolest. I love King Curtis' version, but my favourite is from the Taj Mahal and the Phantom Blues Band live CD. It's Dennis Taylor on tenor I think.

SOTW Columnist

Gentlemen, check your mail. Rory, I grew up with Doggett's version and have heard a few others over the years but have not heard any "modern" arrangements. Not sure what is out there these days.

Hi John,

Thanks for the great transcriptions--I can't wait to play around with them!

Rory

ps. I see what you mean. I guess by modern versions what I'm talking about are more recent recordings by tenor players which pay homage to the original by playing it more-or-less note-for-note. Quite literally a tough act to follow!

E-mail problem

Default Honky tonk pt2

I have got to have a copy of this if I may.
    jschnarkey@charter.net

Thanks much, Kevin.

Robert Stewart plays a very cool, smokin' version of Honky Tonk
    from the album "In The Gutta". You can download it yourself on this page:
    http://therobertstewartexperience.com/discography.html

Default A Classic...

Maybe, it's just because I grew up listening to Honky Tonk Pt 2, over and over and... until i fell asleep, nite after nite in my "wonder years", but IMO it's a "Classic" that demands to be played more or less, "note for note", much like Jacquet's "Flying Home" and Hawkins' "Body and Soul" were, back in the day.

I would love to have a copy of this if I may.

dish4allus@yahoo.com

Thanks Steve!
    StarBand and WildBlue 2-Way,High Speed Satellite Internet Access provider
    http://www.wildblue.com/
    http://kd6tjc.mystarband.net/

Forum Contributor 2007

I would also like a copy of Honky Tonk. Would be more than happy to buy a copy if anyone has it.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Tinorman; 02-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Hi John

I know I´m a bit late, but I really would love to have a copy of "Honky Tonk" (1 or 2 or both...), too.

Thanks in advance

Saxmachine

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by xax
    Maybe, it's just because I grew up listening to Honky Tonk Pt 2, over and over and... until i fell asleep, nite after nite in my "wonder years", but IMO it's a "Classic" that demands to be played more or less, "note for note", much like Jacquet's "Flying Home" and Hawkins' "Body and Soul" were, back in the day.
    I know exactly what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's best to play a solo note-for-note. I'd rather hear some originality mixed in. Maybe play most of the "signature" licks, but then add some of your own phrases in also. I wonder if Clifford Scott actually played it the same, note-for-note, every time he played it. I bet he varied it somewhat. Just a thought. It is a good idea to learn all the original phrases and have them at your disposal.

Actually, I learned the King Curtis version first. Now I'm working on the Clifford Scott solo. Both of them are great.

You can either "swing it" or play is "straight." It's up to you.
    Don't forget to study the Circle of Fifths.

Quote Originally Posted by JL
    I know exactly what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's best to play a solo note-for-note. I'd rather hear some originality mixed in. Maybe play most of the "signature" licks, but then add some of your own phrases in also. I wonder if Clifford Scott actually played it the same, note-for-note, every time he played it. I bet he varied it somewhat. Just a thought. It is a good idea to learn all the original phrases and have them at your disposal.

Actually, I learned the King Curtis version first. Now I'm working on the Clifford Scott solo. Both of them are great.
    Yeah, I guess i agree with you about learning the original phrases etc. My bands don't play it (or know it) and most if not all of the audiences would likely be hearing it for the first time. With that being the case most of the time, I guess a personal (or modern) version might be more appropriate. I still hold out hope that somewhere along the way, I can be a "journey agent" and take some folks (and myself) back to the day.

BTW, The Ventures(yes, the guitar surfer band!) did a version of "Honky Tonk" that has a sax solo that's almost indistinguishable from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by pumseig
    Robert Stewart plays a very cool, smokin' version of Honky Tonk
    from the album "In The Gutta". You can download it yourself on this page:
    http://therobertstewartexperience.com/discography.html
    Hey man, thanks for the tip. Just scored the cd from ebay: very cool, scaled back version of Honky Tonk, some decent vocals and some good organ too. What a great young player--he's had some good teachers too!

Rory

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by xax
    My bands don't play it (or know it) and most if not all of the audiences would likely be hearing it for the first time.

I still hold out hope that somewhere along the way, I can be a "journey agent" and take some folks (and myself) back to the day.
    Yeah, I can't get my guitar player to learn it. And the guitar solo is just as important as the horn solo to establish the sound of Honky Tonk. So I never play it with my band. Every once in a while at a jam or when sitting in with a different band I do get to play it with a guitar player who knows the tune well. Curiously enough, it's always the best guitar players who seem to know Honky Tonk. The run-of-the mill guitarists usually don't know it. To really get it happenin' it helps to have a Hammond B-3 in the mix. But then you can't always have everything you want!

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

years ago I was sitting in with a buddy's band (maybe 6 years) and someone in the audience actually requested it. I had some of it under my fingers but not up to gig speed yet, so we couldn't honor the request.

funny thing is the guy looked a lot like JL.. so was that you John??

This is my first posting and I am actually new to SOTW. Still, I would love a copy of the sheet music to Honky Tonk. Not sure what the next step is, but thanks to anyone who can help.
    Bruce

SOTW Columnist

digbop, just sent it. If I missed anyone above please send your request directly to me at JSAXL@aol.com I do not always get back to these pages!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast