Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default [Famous] jazz musicians you've met?

Who is the greatest (for lack of better words) jazz musician you have met?

For me, Phil Woods or Pete Christleib. I shook hands and briefly talked to Phil at a clinic once, and was in Christlieb's combo at this local jazz camp. Christlieb is a pretty funny guy (or tries to be funny), and every once in a while he would tell us stories from the old days in the Tonight Show band for Carson.
    "Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife." -Kahlil Gibran
    Visit me on MySpace here

I've met Christlieb (when he was playing with the Bill Holman Big Band a few years ago), Ernie Watts, Chris Potter, and... I guess that's it.

Need to work on that.

Chris S
    Blog - LinkedIn - Digg - del.icio.us - GoogleShared - Twitter
    Chris S - SOTW Admin Emeritus

Forum Contributor 2011 TMadness1013's Avatar

Joshua Redman, Bob Mintzer, Marcus Strickland, & Maynard Ferguson
    Last edited by TMadness1013; 11-23-2005 at 06:59 PM.

Sonny Rollins, Maynard Ferguson, Stan Kenton, Rich Perry, Dexter Gordon, Phil Woods, Chuck Mangione, Joshua Redman, Mitchell (Booty) Wood, Richie Cole, Red Rodney, Ira Sullivan...that's about all I can think of...

Steve Turre is the only one I guess I've really met. I've been close to Greg Tardy and Miguel Zenon.
    IBSmiester

Tenor setup: Conn 10m (1952), Francois-Louis Ulitmate Ligature, Vandoren Java 3
    Alto setup: Conn 6m (1934) (borrowed), Otto Link Tone Edge 6* HR, Vandoren Java 2.5

Open Your Ears...

Steve Turre is the only one I guess I've really met. I've been close to Greg Tardy and Miguel Zenon.
    IBSmiester

Tenor setup: Conn 10m (1952), Francois-Louis Ulitmate Ligature, Vandoren Java 3
    Alto setup: Conn 6m (1934) (borrowed), Otto Link Tone Edge 6* HR, Vandoren Java 2.5

Open Your Ears...

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Well, I've met a fair amount, often playing the same town at the same time.

The biggest shock encounter I had was at a hotel in Paris. I pushed the elevator button, the doors opened and directly in front of me looking right at me was a Dashiki-clad Dizzy Gillespie with an entourage. I just stood there like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights. Talked to him for a few moments and found out that he had been playing in the hotel I was staying in but, darn, was on his way to check out.

One of the funnier times, I was in Luxembourg City Holiday Inn in the morning killing some time at a souvenir shop in the lobby looking at postcards on one of those circular stands that rotate. I started pulling it in one direction and felt a tug in the opposite direction. I pulled again and was met with another opposite tug. So I looked around the rack at my adversary and looking a bit puzzled at me was Joe Cocker. I was on Luxembourg TV and he had a concert the same (previous) day and he and his band were staying at the same hotel as I. He was really apologetic and nice about our little tug-of-war so we chatted a little.

Oh yeah, another one that was almost a little bizarre. I was leading a band at a Hollywood hotel and we kicked off the opening set with "The Days of Wine and Roses" as the stage curtain opened. I turned around as the banquet guest were applauding to acknowledge them and looked straight down at the first table and there was Henry Mancini smiling and applauding. The choice of Wine&Roses was purely coincidental. I had no idea he would be at the banquet.

OK that's not strange but later on as we were playing I kept getting this feeling that I was being watched. I looked around and could barely see a face in the shadows between the front curtain and the wall and this guy was watching us for several tunes. Then in the green room on the break here came Hank to chat with us and I found out that he was our back-stage stalker. Really nice man, by the way. Well, actually all three of these folks were.

These are some of the things that make the music "business" fun and I love it.
    Last edited by gary; 03-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

I talked with Sonny Rollins after a show of his in New York. I got an autograph and shook his hand.
    I also got the chance to meet Cecil Taylor, hanging out in the 55 bar in NYC, at a Wayne Krantz show.
    I once met Tommy Mars when the 'Band from Utopia' played at Toad's place in New Haven, CT.

That's all I can think of that I actualy got to meet and talk to.

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

Sam Butera, Frank Foster, Christopher Hollyday (remember him?) George Young, lesser known, Jay Davidson,(Cinderella) Tom Timko(Gloria Estefan), Steve Jankowski, Mose Allison, Frank Sinatra Jr, Nelson Riddle Jr. (foggy if he was Neslon as well but they were touring together like thier dads) Julius Erving, Billy Cunningham, Doug Collins, Steve Mix, Mo Cheeks, Henry Bibby, oops I slipped into another genre.

I met Gerry Mulligan when I was four - I only remember his beard and the wide-wale corduroy of his suit, though. I sat in with Dick Hextall-Smith and Bobby Wellins at different times, and they were both great people (and tolerant, luckily!).

CircaRevival

Dave Brubeck and Eric Alexander (Not at the same time)

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Mulligan, LOL. I was at the Longhorn Jazz Festival with some cronies from North Texas and Mullligan wanted a ride back to his hotel. The driver said sure, no problem but then after the concerts Mulligan was nowhere to be found. We finally gave up and went back to the car and there he was...passed out on the seat LOL.

passed out as in, unconscious. don't ask.

Mose Allison,,,of all the people listed yet, this is the one guy I think I would really like to talk to.
    Last edited by gary; 11-23-2005 at 06:46 PM.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Aside from Phil Woods and Pete Christlieb, I have also met Oscar Peterson, Eric Alexander, and Ravi Coltrane.
    "Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife." -Kahlil Gibran
    Visit me on MySpace here

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

I've met a bunch and played with a bunch over the years. At this second, I can't remember all of them. Here's a few:

Back ~1982, I played with Branford and had him in my quintet briefly before he got a call from Sting.

Back ~1980, Lucille Armstrong kissed my right cheek. She died within a few days.

A couple of years ago, I got into a small argument with Emilio about who was more important, me or Kenny Garret. I turned to my right, and there was Kenny Garret with the same hat he was wearing on the cover of DownBeat on the counter in front of us.

There's a few more, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste.....
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Quote Originally Posted by martysax
    There's a few more, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste.....
    ...and I see we've gotten to you just a moment too late!

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    ...and I see we've gotten to you just a moment too late!
    I've few recollections from 77 to 92. I've seen pictures, read articles and seen videos with me in them. It's like an out of body experience.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

I met several who no one knows
    Music is the key...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by martysax
    Back ~1980, Lucille Armstrong kissed my right cheek. She died within a few days.
    What did you have that she caught and died?

I met May-nard Ferguson and Stan Kenton; got May-nard's autograph, and Kenton remembered my name(a HS kid) the next year when I saw him again...what a memory.

I knew and was friends with several before-they-became-famous guys. And, a bunch of my col-lege professors are/were considered famous.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat
    What did you have that she caught and died?
    I don't know, I think she was hospitalized with pneumonia the next day in Waltham and died shortly after. I know she was enjoying the gig, she was bopping.

Marian McPartland kissed me on the same cheek with no ill effects, I wouldn't allow Doc Cheetham to kiss me. Bob Wilbur and I drank cognac from the same snifter, neither of us suffered any.

I think it was Lucille's health, not my cheek.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast