P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: OLD Selmer Brevete

Default OLD Selmer Brevete

I might buy an old Selmer Brevete from a friend ( he just got a Buffet E12 (?) think thats it), This is a 1930s clarinet, and not in bad shape. The keys have some play to them, and can only be fixed with a complete rebuilt (i mean so that it doesn't move at all, it plays wonderfull and the sound is great). I will get a Brand new Buffet mouthpiece with this, so how much is it worth? If i get it for $50...maybe $100 is it worth it? Sorry, but like many of you here (i can actually say it here, and have people understand.....its wonderful) a sax player, just started clarinet. I might as well ask it here too, what are the most common mistakes alto to clarinet "switchers" make?

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

Hard Call. The Brevete goes back a pretty good ways. You could put up to $300 into it before it was what you wanted. Add in the cost of the instrument itself and you are in the $250-$400 range. For around the same money, you could find yourself a Selmer Centered Tone or at least a Series 10 in decent shape.

Let me put it this way . . . I would not want more than $200 tied up in it if it were mine.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist
    Forum Contributor 2010

I agree with Fred. You'd be hard pressed to sell the instrument for what you would have to put into it to get it where it's playable. Unless there is some emotional attachment to the horn or something that you think is way cool, you should probably get a better horn.
    "I played the wrong, wrong notes." - Thelonious Monk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quinn the Eskimo Vintage Horns ~ Woodwind Forums ~ The Bis Key Chronicles

cecco,

I have one of these old Selmer Clarinets with a serial number starting with the letter 'K'.

By the way...the word 'Brevette' in French simply means, 'patented'.

It was my Grandfather's Clarinet when he was in High School and was purchased in 'about' 1927. He gave it to me for Christmas when I was 10 years old and that Clarinet is the musical instrument that started me on my journey into the world of music.

I keep it in playing condition and will not sell it simply due to the family history.

However, after switching to a Selmer 'Series 9' Clarinet a number of years ago, one day I decided to take the old Selmer 'K' to a polka gig and play it instead.

I could NOT play the 'K' in tune for love nor money !?!?!?!

Just something to consider about the very old Selmer Clarinets. And I'm sure that there will be others who will post who will say that they have one and have NO problems keeping in tune. My experience is that after playing a newer Selmer, I couldn't deal with the intonation of the old timer in a bandstand situation.

I suppose if it was my only Clarinet I could learn to deal with it...(would HAVE TO)

Good luck.

ok thanks guys, yeah its a little on the sharp side. It it playable, i mean i can play everything (well as far as my range goes.... only a high D for now) and the low notes comes out nice and clean.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

These are pretty good clarinets. I restored and sold a nice one (with 7th ring and articulated G#) about four years ago; and I have another one in the shop awaiting its turn on the bench (someday, in my 'spare' time).
    Dave Spiegelthal

sorry, can u explain the 7th ring and G# key...which ones is that? Seeing as how i'm a sax player...and just barely started with clarinets