Antigua Winds

Thread: Beechler S6S

Default Beechler S6S

Just ordered a Beechler S6S without ever playing one. I usually play a Meyer 5 with #3 Gonzalez reeds. Should I be expecting to have to change strength?
    bronzZoot
    YAS875EX - AL3 - BG Traditional - Gonzalez
    YSS875EXHG - Caravan - BG Traditional - Gonzalez

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Most of the new Beechler pieces I've seen had pretty rough tip rails and questionable facing curves.

The S6S is more like a Lakey than a Meyer. I like the Large chamber Beechlers with a medium facing curve.

Distinguished SOTW Member

SJT: I have an alto Beechler S6S with the diamond inlay on the beak. Loud doesn't adequately describe this piece. "Mojo" tweaked it so it doesn't squeak anymore, but it is still WAY too much for my tastes. I would think softer reeds would be a legal requirement. DAVE
    Dave

I thought the only facing curves (last letter) were short and long. Though what Beechler means by that is a separate question. Has anyone seen one like Merlin mentions....such as a L6M?

I've only seen the medium chamber and short facings, for example a M6S. I assume they are the most popular. They have round chambers a bit small than a Meyer medium.

I've seen a tenor piece with the small chamber and yes it did look similar to a Lakey chamber. Super20dan has said they are more controllable than Lakeys.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

I just had an L4S in the shop which I redid to .080" with a medium facing. Great player - much like an old Brilhart.