Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is the Yanagisawa 880 considered an intermediate horn (not a pro horn)?

Hello,
    I had a chance to play an 880 in very nice shape at a music store today, and it was very nice. It played great, very comfortable, and it sounded great, very responsive with a darker and richer tone than I expected. When ever I've read about the 880 it is refered to as an intermediate horn, but the one I played seemed like a pro level horn. I'm just curious why it's called an intermediate horn rather than a pro horn. BTW, the store is asking around $1600 for it (it's very clean, looks almost new): does this seem like the going price on these?

Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

Garbage. The 880 is as pro as it gets. It was Yani's top of the line when it was made. As to the price, realize that "market price" varies between individual sellers (SOTW, ebay, ads, etc) and retail establishments. I personally think that $1600 is on the high side of the curve, but for the condition you say it's in (assuming the pads are like new), it's not out of the question for a store. Maybe you can talk them down a bit since, ( . . . it's only an old intermediate model . . . "

Distinguished SOTW Member

CK: I agree with Fred. I bought one new in the late 1980's . . . the best horn Yanagisawa made at the time. I paid $1300.00 for it, including a Selmer MKVII neck fitted to it. My grandson plays it now in high school. Great horn. I don't know who would consider this model to be "intermediate" but if so, they don't know what they are talking about. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member shmuelyosef's Avatar

I agree all around...that price is at the high end, but you could ask the store for 6 month free service to make sure that all the bugs are out of it...that could be another angle to get value out of the store setting (i.e. you can play and see the horn, unlike SOTW, eBay, etc)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" --- Henny Youngman

Thanks for the confimative replies. It is very nice. I played it along with a Yamaha YTS-62 (mk. I) that they had and the 880 had a sweeter tone....the YTS seemed to have a snappier response, perhaps a bit more dynamic, but the 880 seemed just as nice, just as comfortable....I guess they both derive from the Selmer.

Thanks,
    Cliff

Forum Contributor 2006

Somewhat off-topic, but is the Yani-made Vito VSP an 880? In pics I've seen, it looks identical and has ribbed construction, but doesn't have an underslung octave arm or double-arm C and B keys. I'm wondering if it is an 880 or something older.

i think the yani vito vsp is closer to the 800 series. i have one and its the best alto i have ever played! i upgraded the neck to a yani 880 underslung and now it looks the part of a pro horn. it shure plays and sound like one

Forum Contributor 2006

I lucked out and got a VSP tenor on eBay for "peanuts." Only indication of source is the Yani lyre symbol above the serial number. On a close-up, I can see that the VSP also has the bar-stock type saddles (instead of "real" or traditional post saddles) for side- and palm keys -- just like the 900, 901, and 902. So it must be an 800, after all. But.... it also has fully ribbed construction, like the 880 (and 990, 991, and 992) whereas the later Yani "entry-level" pro models don't. Certainly plays well and sounds great, too, but -- par for the course from ebay -- it needs its orginal pads replaced... they're shot.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

I've heard the 880 and the Yamaha 61 horns both described as "step up" models, and that is crap. They are both excellent horns that were the top of the line from their respective makers. There don't seem to be that many 880s floating around, so maybe that lends to folks misinformation about them. I agree that $1600 might be a bit high, but I'd pay $1600 for my old circa 1981 model YTS-62 if I could find a brand new one.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

I've always been confused by the 'intermediate' label. 'Student horn' I get, 'Pro Horn' I get, but the intermediate thing seems to be someone trumping up a student model with laquered keys and an F#, or someone else degrading proffessional equipment with the tag to make it perceived as inferior.

The 880 was, and is, a superior instrument.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

Cool avatar. I need more cowBELL.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

Default yani 880, martin stencil

I believe functionally the martin stencil I have is basicly an 880. However, My Martin/880 came with medal adjustments in the lower keyguards whereas some 880's have nylon/plastic ones. Similarly, the little bridge on the left pinky spatula between the B and C# is medal on my martin and plasatic on some 880s. Also the alt. F# key on my martin is button-llike whereas some 880s are oval shaped.

I suspect the stencil horns may have cosmetic "blems" and were sold at a lower price as "step-up"/intermediate horns even though they play as well as the pro horns. Mine doesn't have the clean workmanship found on a buffet or selmer. I've also had a key guard post and the alt. F# key guard come off. This may be because I don't use the original case.
    Last edited by stinnergy; 02-23-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010 Fungus Mungus's Avatar

The 800 and the 880s both featured ribbed construction. The 500 was considered a "step-up" horn. The 800s were made from sturdier materials than the 500-series and back, as Yani started importing raw materials from the US at that time. This is straight from the horse's mouth...Hidemasu at Yanagisawa.

Anyone that says the 800 series (800 or 880) is an intermediate horn doesn't know what they're talking about. Unless it's a silver-bodied model, $1600 is a bit high for the horn, though in Japan, a good example of an 880 will go for $2000.

fm

Some martin/yanis are 800's (like vito/VSP) and some are 880's (with double-arm c/b keys and Selmer style pinky spatula.) I believe my martin/880 is a "transitional” mongrel of parts available at the factory from 880's (key guards, alt. F# key, front high f/e key) and 990's (under slung octave key).
    Last edited by stinnergy; 02-28-2007 at 10:22 PM.

deleted

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tryptykon's Avatar

My 880 tenor is a great, great horn ..

I've played and owned most all the top rated vintage tenors--

Conns, Kings,Bueschers VI's,SBA's,R.I.'s..for a period of many years; side-by-side.

I'm well-familiar with their nuances and the 880 is a very worthy competitor.

The rest is up to the player.

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

I've always heard of the 880/990's as the pro model and the 800/900's as the semi-pro. Still a pro horn but maybe without some superficial bells and whistles ie. the underslung octave mechanism. Both are really pro models and some even prefer the 800/900.

My alto is an 880 made in '89 and it is fantastic. I picked it up on eBay for about $850.

i picked up my yani 800 for 200$ on ebay . it was listed as a vito student alto. its the best alto i own

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tryptykon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent27
    I've always heard of the 880/990's as the pro model and the 800/900's as the semi-pro. Still a pro horn but maybe without some superficial bells and whistles ie. the underslung octave mechanism. Both are really pro models and some even prefer the 800/900.
    My 902[Bronze]tenor is an incredible player .

My alto is an 880 made in '89 and it is fantastic. I picked it up on eBay for about $850
    Got my 880 tenor on eBay for $950, shipped - also an '89 !

Why is the Yanagisawa 880 considered an intermediate horn (not a pro horn)?
    It's considered an intermediate horn? Only by people who don't know much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast