P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: UK

Hello folks,

Londoner and newbie, both to SOTW and saxophone. Been teaching myself bass clarinet for a couple of years, picked up a soprano sax about a month ago and have been having quite disgraceful amounts of fun with it! Tried other saxes, but nothing seems to fit me like the sop...

I love my Yani!

Hi all,

Another Brit, well Scot, living in Fleet, Hants. Complete newcomer, no musical history. My wife gave me a surprise present (an alto) for my 50th 3 months ago. I'm a lucky man

Another Essex boy here.

I'm in Gloucester UK, been practically brought up in the local jazz scene since my early teens

Hannibal... there is a great jazz scene in and around Cheltenham (re: Cheltenham Jazz Festival), which I have been involved in for about 12 years... let me know if you're still interested and I'll point you towards some friendly regular jam sessions.

Hi - playing not long - only just started looking and joining in here - but I have noticed quite a few from the UK and have found this to be a great encouragement.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

And a big hello from Sunny Southampton to you all!

Hi all

Found this site recently - I'm from Surrey and am a "returning" player. Played alto for about 7-8 years in teens / twenties then nothing until a year or so ago when I bought myself a 2nd hand tenor Yani 880 - lovely instrument! Still got my trusty old YAS23 as well and enjoying playing again so much that I'm trying to convince myself I can afford to splash out on a decent new alto......great to see all these posts from the UK!

Nick,

Welcome....
    AlistairD
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Raganato Wood ER1 Vintage - Hahn Reeds - Olegature and Lebayle Ebony - Francois Louis Reeds - Brancher Lig

Hey you fellow neighbours from the sunny old UK. I'm a recent members and glad to see i'm not alone here in the UK. I play the piano as my main instrument but love to play the sax aswell. I play in a sax quartet on any instrument required depending on arrangements!!!! I am also the conductor of my university wind band and the musical director of my local amateur dramatics society. I am studying music composition at university so who knows where that will lead me to.
    Hope to hear from more of you fellow UK members.
    Nice speaking to you.
    Martin

Hey im from scunthorpe area as well!!! im just in the process of buying my 1st alto sax, can anyone reccomend a good tutor in the area??

james

Hiya,
    I'm from Essex, 15 years old and have been playing the Alto for 4 of them! I'm also playing the Soprano at the moment. I have a YAni A901, and I don#'t know what the soprano is as it's not mine!
    I havn't spotted too many UKers either!

bex xxx
    Bex

Sut Mae!

I'm a 47 yo welshman, who started on the soprano about 7 months ago. just about to begin learning alto as well. Hero is Jan Garbarek, hence the soprano (R&C Deluxe R1 straight) which has a lovely tone. Any visitors to Wales very welcome to drop by - I know nobody, apart from my teacher, who plays the sax, especially soprano!

BB x

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

Hello everyone....Just to say that the saxophone is not unknown down here in North Devon. Tenor mainly, (Customised R&C R1, & Grassi "Pro 2000)...a bit of C Melody for a change, & plenty of blues harmonica.

BB

Where are you in Wales? Another soprano (and tenor player). Monmouthshire

PM me if you like

Charlie

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

I own up to living in Essex but came from Surrey originally. Playing 2 of the same saxes my dad played around Guildford from c1936 onwards, plus a Yani stencil soprano and a small menagerie of guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartMilton
    Hi

One more from UK.... I'm in Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Play tenor (Kohlert stencil) and clarinet in a Bristol based church worship team, and have just bought my first alto (Yeah, I know most people do it the other way round, but I've never been one to follow the crowd). Am loving the Alto (a 40's Pan American), I can see it getting a lot of use in the future.

Love to hear from anyone nearby, particularly the Dorset based technician above!

srmiltonATbtinternetDOTcom will find me.

All the best,

Stewart
    Hi. I'm from Bath, Somerset. I'm new to the forum and I'm finding it so helpful. Anyway..see you around maybe...

Hi everyone, and BertieB & Sorelip in sunny (?) Wales.
    Originally from Wolverhampton, I now live in Rhayader.

Hi all

Am I the only one who will admit to living in Sheffield, the car crime capital of the world!

I've been playing tenor for about 6 months and I'm just about to take my grade 2 test. I'm also in the brink of buying a Bari!

from
    Vaughan
    Monkey see, monkey do!

Hi all. I'm in Edinburgh. I manage to get in a fair amount of playing around town.

Vaughan, you will love the Bari. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughanb
    ...I'm also in the brink of buying a Bari!...
    *DROOL* If only I had the cash. I'm certain you'll love it. I know I would! I played Clarinet in Wind Bands when I was younger and fell head over heels with it all those years ago.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast