Sax on the Web Forum banner

UK

21K views 120 replies 87 participants last post by  delboy1961 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one but so far I've not noticed any bios from the UK.

I'm a newcomer to the world of sax, I've been playing for about 15 months. Unfortunately due to ridiculous amounts of work I'm pretty much restricted to around half an hour of play a week (at the moment I get too tired after that) and I've had to postpone my lessons for a while.

I do enjoy playing the sax though, I just wish I had more time to practice.

Phil

#52 ·
Hi guys, I'm the new girl in town! I got me a yani. A901 nearly 6 weeks ago, and have been trying to blow the roof off ever since. Neighbours haven't complained, but I know one of them is actually deaf anyway, before I started. This was my 40th birthday present- managed to persuade hubby to buy me something decent-sax is so much better than diamonds!
Unfortunately I spend too much time practising and the housework never gets done anymore! Hey, one has to get one's priorities right- I've spent the last thirty nine years in waiting- I've got some serious catching up to do!

Anyway, sax is great, I can make some real groovy noises. Is the sax. as it easy as it appears. or am I likely to hit some big wall soon?
I love this website- it's like the tardis, there are huge chasms of info on here, if only you know where to look!

It might be called 'sleepy' Suffolk, where I come from (near Ipswich) but I'm as sure as hell gonna wake 'em all up with my horn! :cool:

#55 ·
BuffetBlowerDude said:
Some days I`m a Sax God....blowing up a storm :D hardly hitting any duff notes and scaring only two out of our three cats from the house! ...the next day I suck and put the instrument of torture away again after 10-15 minutes....does that happen to anyone else?....good days, bad days?
Oooooh yes!

#60 ·
Hi,

Yet another one from the UK. I' m from Quainton which is between Aylesbury and Bicester...

Been playing Tenor for a couple of months....

#61 ·
Hello folks,

Londoner and newbie, both to SOTW and saxophone. Been teaching myself bass clarinet for a couple of years, picked up a soprano sax about a month ago and have been having quite disgraceful amounts of fun with it! Tried other saxes, but nothing seems to fit me like the sop...

I love my Yani!

#64 ·
I'm in Gloucester UK, been practically brought up in the local jazz scene since my early teens

Hannibal... there is a great jazz scene in and around Cheltenham (re: Cheltenham Jazz Festival), which I have been involved in for about 12 years... let me know if you're still interested and I'll point you towards some friendly regular jam sessions.

#67 ·
Hi all

Found this site recently - I'm from Surrey and am a "returning" player. Played alto for about 7-8 years in teens / twenties then nothing until a year or so ago when I bought myself a 2nd hand tenor Yani 880 - lovely instrument! Still got my trusty old YAS23 as well and enjoying playing again so much that I'm trying to convince myself I can afford to splash out on a decent new alto......great to see all these posts from the UK!

#69 ·
Hey you fellow neighbours from the sunny old UK. I'm a recent members and glad to see i'm not alone here in the UK. I play the piano as my main instrument but love to play the sax aswell. I play in a sax quartet on any instrument required depending on arrangements!!!! I am also the conductor of my university wind band and the musical director of my local amateur dramatics society. I am studying music composition at university so who knows where that will lead me to.
Hope to hear from more of you fellow UK members.
Nice speaking to you.
Martin

#72 ·
Sut Mae!

I'm a 47 yo welshman, who started on the soprano about 7 months ago. just about to begin learning alto as well. Hero is Jan Garbarek, hence the soprano (R&C Deluxe R1 straight) which has a lovely tone. Any visitors to Wales very welcome to drop by - I know nobody, apart from my teacher, who plays the sax, especially soprano!

BB x

#75 ·
I own up to living in Essex but came from Surrey originally. Playing 2 of the same saxes my dad played around Guildford from c1936 onwards, plus a Yani stencil soprano and a small menagerie of guitars.

#76 ·
StewartMilton said:
Hi

One more from UK.... I'm in Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Play tenor (Kohlert stencil) and clarinet in a Bristol based church worship team, and have just bought my first alto (Yeah, I know most people do it the other way round, but I've never been one to follow the crowd). Am loving the Alto (a 40's Pan American), I can see it getting a lot of use in the future.

Love to hear from anyone nearby, particularly the Dorset based technician above!

srmiltonATbtinternetDOTcom will find me.

All the best,

Stewart
Hi. I'm from Bath, Somerset. I'm new to the forum and I'm finding it so helpful. Anyway..see you around maybe...:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.