Sax on the Web Forum banner

Dolnet Tenor Worth the Effort?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ThomasK 
#1 ·
I've run across a Dolnet tenor cleverly disguised as a Jean Cartier that I could probably pick up pretty reasonably. Problem is . . . it pretty much needs the works. It may not even have a case, and the lacquer isn't in great shape either. It's also marked "Standard". So I'm wondering if this one would be worth the cost of bringing it back to life? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I'm thinking it's still a hard call; I'll have to get some total price figures before I could proceed. It's still possible to buy some pretty nice condition Dolnets pretty cheap on ebay, which makes this sax less appealing unless I can get something worked out on the overhaul. Plus, I've never played a Dolnet and know only what I've read about them. There are some strong Dolnet supporters, but the pricing market doesn't seem to support the adherants' claims. I guess this is the kind of sax that I wouldn't want to put more $$ into than I could get out of it.

#5 ·
Don't know about tenors, but the alto I had was very solid. Weighed a ton (well, 6 pounds actually compared with about 4.5 for most altos). Octave movements down were very secure and the lower register was very good indeed; no real complaints about the upper register either.

Full of extra keys and this, plus the way I had to blow, deecided me not to keep it. In effect, I would have had to develop a completely new way of playing which, as a tenor and bari player mostly, was not worth the effort.

Interestinging sax and I can see why people would like it. I hope these comments may be useful to prospective purchasers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.