Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default saxophone fingering (keys) on Oboe

Hello,

I saw recently on Ebay-UK an oboe that had a standard saxophone key layout. Are these still available? Anyone know where I can get one?

xraydog

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xraydog
    Hello,

I saw recently on Ebay-UK an oboe that had a standard saxophone key layout. Are these still available? Anyone know where I can get one?

xraydog
    If it's this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7340503459

then I'm the seller. They are not still available that I know of which is why I've described it as rare: I've never seen one before.

Why not not buy mine, it's a great doubling instrument for saxophone players if you can blow the thing. I never had the time to do the necessary embouchure practice but the fingering was very easy.

Distinguished SOTW Member kymarto's Avatar

As a former oboist I can tell you that even a standard system oboe has fingerings very similar to the sax--if you can double on flute you can double on oboe. It is, of course, the embouchure and the reeds that are going to be a problem more than the fingering.

The only real fingering differences are in the F, F#, Bb and C and the very lowest notes--at least until you get to the third octave. Also the standard oboe offers a lot of alternate fingering possibilities, especially in the low notes, that the sax lacks.

Toby

Default Re: saxophone fingering (keys) on Oboe

8 years later from the original post... but i have one of these. it is wooden with silver keys.

attached is the before picture. it is currently in the shop being overhauled.
    Last edited by ETsaxophoneHOME; 11-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ETsaxophoneHOME View Post

8 years later from the original post... but i have one of these, wooden, and for sale.

Ordinarily this is not a place for for sale ads.
    However, allowed in this special case.

my bad... fixed i'm actually wanting to keep it. heres what it looks like now

Any progress?
    "Do unto others and others will have you done in.”
    "If I have to tell you one more time, I'm going to come over there and dance a jig so fast your head will spin!"

So, I've stumbled across a sax-fingered oboe....and I'm considering purchasing it if the price is at all reasonable. While the novelty of it alone may be an enticement, are these things even remotely playable? I think it could be a fun way to ease into oboe playing (although someday I'd want to find the time to get serious about learning actual oboe fingerings)

Any thoughts? Just a novelty....or actual musical potential?

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradfordlloyd View Post
    So, I've stumbled across a sax-fingered oboe....and I'm considering purchasing it if the price is at all reasonable. While the novelty of it alone may be an enticement, are these things even remotely playable? I think it could be a fun way to ease into oboe playing (although someday I'd want to find the time to get serious about learning actual oboe fingerings)

Any thoughts? Just a novelty....or actual musical potential?
    If you really want to play the oboe, get yourself a Renard 330 and a teacher.

You'll have an instrument that plays, and will have resale value if you decide oboe is not for you.

Decent oboe and a teacher is money much better spent than buying a workaround.

Hmmm...good point. I guess I need to think about just how much I want to play the oboe. Frankly, while I like the idea, the practice time required to be any good at it may not be worth it.

Perhaps I'll save it for my retirement....or just goof with the doublereed and the "workaround" until I'm serious enough to do the Renard 330 and the teacher.

I just realized that the question wasn't addressed....are sax-fingered oboes just a novelty? Or do they have actual musical potential?

(Merlin, I appreciate your response, but I'm not sure if you've got an issue with the instruments themselves or the fact that the "workaround" offends your sensibilities....)

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

I'm sure if you actually could find a decent sample of a sax-fingered oboe and find an oboe tech who was actually willing to put it into good shape, there might actually be some musical potential.

However...the main problem in playing an oboe is not the fingering schema. It's the reeds.

Doesn't matter how easy you make the fingering system, how similar it is to your saxophone. It's really not going to facilitate playing the instrument.

It's also going to ingrain fingering habits that will become a problem to unlearn.

People ask how I can play so many instruments and retain all the fingerings for them (as well as alternates!) They physical sensation is connected to the sound for me. If I'm playing oboe, the feel of the reed in my mouth and the sound I hear helps my fingers remember that I'm playing oboe, and that I need to use oboe fingerings.

The one thing that saxophonists CAN do if they want to make things easier is to look for an oboe with an automatic octave key system. Quite a lot of European oboists employ instruments with this system rather than the semi-auto system favoured in North America.

My first two oboes and English horn had this type of system. I eventually learned how to play semi-auto as well, so now I can grab just about any system oboe (including thumbplate and dual system).

Since you suggested you might want to actually play the oboe with some degree of dedication, I was moved to offer advice that would spare you wasted time, money and effort.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Merlin's advice is good IMO, but I did have a sax fingered oboe for a while,it was a Uebel. I managed to do some doubling work on it so it was slightly beyond "just a novelty", but I never got into the oboe mentality of knowing more about reeds than bunging one into the hole,on the end and blowing very very hard.

It was a cheap instrument, and I sold it for not a lot of money.

Thanks, Merlin, for the additional perspective. Understanding your thinking on the matter is helpful....in fact, I'm now convinced that I should just wait on starting to learn oboe until I'm ready to do so with the degree of seriousness that it deserves.

Pete -- I'm glad to hear from someone who has actually played one of these sax-fingered devils...and a bit surprised to hear that you were able to gig with it successfully. I'm not surprised, however, that you sold it for little money....they are odd creatures to say the least!

My daughter's primary instruments are sax and oboe, and she's very advanced on both. She can also play the other three woodwinds. She says, like Merlin, that she associates a particular instrument's fingerings to that same instrument's sound. Oboe and sax fingerings are very similar, easily learned, and not confused. It took her maybe one day to learn the fingerings for each instrument. Oboe reeds and sound take far, far longer to learn well, years.

She has also played on a sax-fingered oboe, a Loree, and it wasn't a very good instrument.

Thanks again for the perspectives. It seems that no one is particularly fond of these horns (probably why they were never produced in great quantities).

I think I'll just wait until I'm prepared to be serious about the oboe.....unless I can get the thing dirt cheap

Distinguished SOTW Member Mark Fleming's Avatar

I looked around for a Linton sax-fingered contrabass clarinet for awhile, but by the time I found one for sale several years later, I'd done enough research that I didn't go for it. There are no reeds available for its unique mouthpiece. It's reputed to be a poor build quality Orsi stencil for an oddball Linton design, so no parts horns and no tech will likely want to deal with it. Basically, a really cool looking $1,000 wall-hanging conversation piece.

Turns out I don't play my "real" contrabass clarinet that much. My fingering confusion is more than made up by the sweet sound and the quality of the instrument. If I finally get serious, I've got a great horn to learn on. If I never get serious, I've got a horn that holds its value while I goof around on it over the years.

The clarisax and the obosax are probably extinct for a reason. Too many people thought about whether they really need one.

Mark

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETsaxophoneHOME View Post

8 years later from the original post... but i have one of these. it is wooden with silver keys.

One exactly like this (or this very same one) sold for just over £600 yesterday: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2808143741...84.m1423.l2649
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!

Yup. I was watching that one. Clearly not "dirt cheap", so I happily waved 'goodbye.' To Merlin's earlier point, for US $1,000 (not to mention the overhaul that would likely be needed as well as the risk that it still might not be much of a player when complete), the time and money might better be spent on practicing with a proven horn and a good teacher.

Still, someday I'll find one of these at a garage sale or junk shop for next to nothing and will feel great about it (then even if it doesn't play, it will make an attractive wall hanging).

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

And another identical one is on eBay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAX-OBOE-SAX...item1c23ff36bb
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast