Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

Just remember Dave, God only made a few perfect heads; the others he covered with hair.
    SOP: Antigua Winds SS4290RC; ALTO:Couesnon Monopole Conservatorie; TENOR: Yamaha YTS-61;
    BARI: Vito-Yanagisawa Low A; CLARINET: Noblet Paris; FLUTE: Amadeus by Haynes

I am checking my 590 right now, and the B and A key pads are indeed not centered on the tone holes. (The Bis and G keys are centered just fine, as are the other keys on the sax.) Specifically, the left edge of the holes (from the player's perspective) are close to the rivet/resonator, and the right edge comes close to the edge of the pad.

Fortunately, it appears to have no effect on how my horn plays. These keys are all quite large relative to the size of the tone holes, so they are all sealing just fine. Of the two, the B key is the farthest off-center, with the right edge of the hole only a few millimeters from the edge of the pad, but it still seals. The A pad has quite a bit of room between the edge of the tone hole and the edge of the pad.

Dave - so who should I be apologizing to, you or your father?

I have the 586LQ and the B and A keys are fine. Fairly well centered and all the keys must be sealing well as the horn plays great after 3 months of constant playing. No issues so far. Fine horn.
    Elwood: "No Ma'am, we're musicians."

Quote Originally Posted by bradshawm
    Dave - so who should I be apologizing to, you or your father?
    Definately me.

Its ok, I am used to it. I have been even confused for my grandfather once before. Yeah... nice.

To you it is then, Dave. My humblest apologies.

Thanks to the rest of you who took the time to look. Sound's like the one I got was an exception. There always has to be one, and just like I'm always the one who gets the cherry pit out of the cherry pie, I think it is my lot with sopranos . OK, no more pity parties.

My wife doesn't really care for the sorpano, and is using this as an opportunity to try and convince me to switch to alto, and buy one of those instead. I really like the sop, and never played alto until two weeks ago when I tested a Jupiter Artist. What a sweet sounding horn, and my wife definitely like the alto sound better. I was surprised I could play so well even though I have never touched one before. It will be a hard decision whether to have a new soprano sent, or wait and check out some altos. Now if my wife would just free up enough money for both...

In that case, Brad, you might want to check out the Antigua Winds Supreme A520LQ alto. It too is a very attractive, solidly constructed sax with exceptional intonation and pleasing sound. Don't take my word for it, ask Dave about these saxes, they're another fine example of the better quality horns, like the Jupiter Artist, coming out of Taiwan lately.
    SOP: Antigua Winds SS4290RC; ALTO:Couesnon Monopole Conservatorie; TENOR: Yamaha YTS-61;

It will be a hard decision whether to have a new soprano sent, or wait and check out some altos.
    Not meaning to be the little guy in red pajamas who sits on your left shoulder holding a tiny pitchfork, but at these prices, maybe you can afford both!?

I also can't help surmising that if Antigua comes out with an updated "YS" serialled curved soprano, people will fall over each other to buy them. I know I'd sure be tempted! 8) Particularly if Dave talks them into making one in bronze!!!

goodsax,

I was out of town the other day and decided to stop at a small music store I saw along the way. They had 2 520LQ's hanging on the wall (much higher price that Dave's). They handed me one to play and told me it was all tuned up, etc. Not even playable. They handed me the other one and took the first back to their tech to look at. The second did play OK, but had three notes that were almost impossible. I played on a Unison alto while waiting for the first to get back in from the tech(very, very nice horn). When the first was brought from the back room after adjusting, it played very well, except for a couple of difficult notes, but nothing too bad. I liked the sound quite a bit. I am not good enough to evaluate an alto's playability beyond the basics though (i.e. altissimo and low notes). What is your opinion on that stuff? Any difficulties?

Regarding the store, I don't see how they expect to sell horns, when they hang them on the wall in unplayable condition.

Brad - I had no problem with playing low notes on my 520LQ, but I never really had much luck, in general, with altissimo. I hit high F# okay, but it had an F# key, so no big deal. The most impressive feature for me was the intonation which was right on for most of both registers. Unisons are good saxes too, but they cost a lot more and aren't that much better than the Antigua Supreme, in my opinion.

You're right about the music store you had the bad experience at. That's why I think Kessler's is a better bet because everyone who's shared their experience about buying from Dave's shop has had nothing but good to say about their service and customer-oriented policies. If you get something from them that isn't right, you can be sure they'll make it right.

Paul Coats is the Antigua alto player to answer the altissimo question if he sees this thread. He's the player and educator who has the following message in his signature line, "You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web."

Thought I'd e-mail the man himself as you suggested. Tried twice, and got a reply back saying that e-mail address had been blacklisted. Hmmm....

Tried to email which man? Paul Coats? If so, that doesn't sound right. He's a very active and responsive sax educator. tenorman@teche.net should be a good email address for him. I've used it several times in the recent past without problem.

I meant Paul. I tried it again. Got the same response.

"550 This system is configured to reject mail from 216.239.161.195 [216.239.161.195] (Host blacklisted - Found on Realtime Black List server 'formmail.monkeys.com') 554 5.0.0 <tenorman@teche.net>"

Someone out there does not like his address.

That's alright. He'll find this post eventually. In the meantime, he might be interested in the fact that some of us can't get through to him. Probably enjoying the vacation from being inundated with questions from ignorant souls like mine.

Well, I talked with Dave Kessler today about the 590LQ I returned. He stated that they could not find anything wrong with the horn. I drove to Portland today to play some alto's, and started with a store that sold Antigua's. On their 586LQ, I had the same problems. The low G through B were very weak, almost non-playable to me. I had a hard time hitting them. When I tried the 520LQ alto, I had the exact same problem. After thinking about it, these were the same notes that were unplayable for me on the ones I mentioned a few posts back. The girl noticed how well I could play all the other notes, and assumed it was the horn, so she got out another one. And again, on it, I had problems with the G and A. Finally the owner came over. He handed me a third horn (same problem), and put his mouthpiece on the one I just tried and it played like a dream for him. He had me try a couple mouthpieces, and the only thing that would play well for me was a Morgan 5. A C* ,Yamaha 4C and ProTone just would not play for me on those notes.

This is so weird Bottom line - I guess it is just me. I have heard so many people say that it is a personal thing, but I would not have believed it was that personal . I guess Antigua's and me were just not meant for a relationship, unless I go on the proverbial mouthpiece chase that seems to have consumed so many people.

The good news, I played a ton of other horns today, and never had a problem with any of them.

Thanks again to all of you who gave me advice.

Marshall

bradshawm: Out of curiousity, which store did you go to in Portland?

Coufman, That's a good questions. I went to a lot of stores, and in an effort to not be too long winded, I merged together info from visits to different stores in my previous post. I'm not from Portland (actually a country boy) so I can't keep them all straight, but I do remember clearly the store with the 520LQ's - The Music House on 60th and Glisan. When I first entered I thought I had gone to the wrong place, because it was so small, and the only thing in sight were guitars, and misc items, etc. It felt more like a small country music store than a big city one. The store was so small, that the three Alto's we had out seemed to fill the floor. When the owner came in and saw it, I can just imagine what he was thinking. I am in the military, and was in uniform so I felt rather conspicuous anyway, the daughter didn't know saxophones, and was having a hard time explaining to her father what the problem was, and we were standing there croweded by all these saxes on the floor. I'm sure we were quite a sight. The owner was very nice , and very patient as he helped me out, and we packed up the horns. He had a pretty good cash price, though not as good as Kessler's and was willing to throw in a Hite mouthpiece that played better for me, though I still struggled with those same notes. Nice store, the kind of place I like doing business in. Very homey and down to earth. Of course, if you ever want to do anything saxophone, you need to talk with the dad.

Sorry for being so long winded, you just had to be there.

Marshall

Brad, I got through to Paul and he said if I could get your email address he would get back to you. He's been away for awhile. It's curious, but I used the same address I gave you to reach him. Maybe his inbox was full when you tried because he has been out of state at a meeting of some sort. You can contact me at my email address by clicking the email button below.

Rob

I meant Paul. I tried it again. Got the same response.
    <snip>
    That's alright. He'll find this post eventually. In the meantime, he might be interested in the fact that some of us can't get through to him. Probably enjoying the vacation from being inundated with questions from ignorant souls like mine.

Thanks for the help Rob. Although I would enjoy chatting with him, I am not in need of his input any longer. I puchased a Unison S300 a couple days ago, and absolutely love it. Now this post can get back to to discussing the Antigua Sopranos :P

Marshall

Distinguished SOTW Member

After arriving home from vacation, I got my Antigua 590LQ - plays better than any sop in my battery. And, no misaligned pads. DAVE

Forum Contributor 2013 Alexwan84's Avatar

I'm currently considering to buy a good soprano sax.....but my budget is not very high.....so some recommend me to buy a Antigua Winds 590LQ Soprano sax and some recommend me to buy Jupiter 847SG Artist Series Soprano Sax.....can anyone help me out which one should I choose? Thanks alot. And Is anyone there know that there is any dealer of Antigua Winds and Jupiter in Malaysia? Cz I'm satying in Malaysia..... Really appreciate alot.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast