Antigua Winds

Default A gold-plated Series III neck?!

Anyone tried these? I saw these for sale on www.netzmarkt.de/thomann They seem to be engraved also. I'm thinking of replacing my original mkVII neck with this one or with the sterling silver one. Comments?

Thanks!
    -TH

Well.. case closed I bought the Series III sterling silver neck. I got it this morning. I tried it for few minutes and my first impression was that I need harder reeds. My horn (MkVII) responds now much more quicker and it's more free-blowing. My usual Java 3's felt too soft. Anyone had similar experiences? Didn't notice any improvement on intonation (intonation is anyway quite good with the original neck). Soundwise I noticed that my sound is a bit more brighter, livelier, crispier.. So far I like it a lot! It's interesting to see how the new neck will perform when playing loud.

Anyone tried this neck with MkVII tenor?

-TH

NOT super20dan

Your observations are consistent with what most experienced players notice about switching to a sterling silver neck. But beware! There are nay-sayers about, who will tell you that it's all in your head!

Enjoy it!

Well, if it is in his head, noone can take it away from him, right? So why worry about nay-sayers? :-)

Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Contributor 2010 AG's Avatar

Default sterling silver III necks

use one on both my MKVII & Serie II alto......I'll part with that neck when someone pries it out of my cold, dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AG
    use one on both my MKVII & Serie II alto......I'll part with that neck when someone pries it out of my cold, dead hands.
    Wow AG... You're so devoted to them that your user name is the chemical symbol for Silver! Now, that's what I call a fanatic
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Default rofl

I just now saw this......shows you how much I get around. well, since I'm confessing I might as well admit to having a sterling silver early Florida alto link STM 6 ....but not all has a silver lining, I have a brass Florida STM 6* too, and perhaps in the way of some minor redemption I am seriously thinking of trying some of the other III alto necks as my altos are having to share the silver one.

anyone tried the new gold/brass III alto necks? I can't read German so I haven't found the gold plated engraved one yet on that link up above, but I had heard of it. wonder if they're more than the sterling silver?

so much gear to look at....so little money...sigh

Before you go looking overseas, check Kessler Music. Dave either stocks or will order any Selmer neck, and offers discounted prices for SOTW forum members:

http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/saxnecksSOTW.html

Their SOTW member-only price for the Gold Brass Series III is currently $254.
    Last edited by Mike Ruhl; 08-02-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Default been there, done that

and sent an e-mail inquiring.....but I've since learned the gold plated neck is NOT engraved, not by Selmer, perhaps later after the purchase by someone else...and this from a well known Selmer dealer. the gold is still over yellow brass while the sterling neck is solid silver I believe. gold neck will have a bigger sound than the stock, but the solid silver should make the more dramatic difference I would think. at this point I'm leaning towards buying aother III neck, one for each alto, but I think maybe the solid silver would still be best....for what I need/want, totally wrong perhaps for another.

for me the gold neck would be a crap shoot, no one here has one to give their impressions of, they're new & have to be ordered from the factory or by special order thru a dealer...I know what to expect from the solid silver one.

tried & true....even with plate
    with "solid" silver....just imagine

Quote Originally Posted by AG
    with "solid" silver....just imagine
    Don't have to. I've played a silver-necked Super 20 tenor for 30 years. Get the solid silver neck.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I took Randall's advise and picked up a good deal on a solid silver series III neck and it turned my horn tame 54 into a monster. Paired up with a Lawton B its a Power house. Clean focused projection, a big sound and great response. I highly recomend it....now if only I were as good as my gear

Smile I was afraid of that

now I really want one.....sigh

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

The gold brass plays darker than the Silver. On a 54 it is even darker than the stock neck. I hear the copper III is great...they are cheaper if you can get one.