Sax on the Web Forum banner

Stan Getz on "Night Rider"

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Lando 
#1 ·

Recently, i bought Stan Getz - Best of, Audio CD ...

Listened to "Night Rider" which has symphonic Orchestra with him at backdrop and he's mostly trying to chase the band and what an amazing chase, i must say !

I was literally thrilled to see the beautiful and Cutting Lead work on it ... ! thumbs up for Stan Getz Jee !

:evil: ! The Sax Guru ! :twisted:

What r ur Views/analysis about "Night Rider" ?

#2 ·
I first heard that tune back when I got the CD years ago (my favorite off that CD is "Blood Count"). I was really into it then. Now I don't like it as much for some reason. Maybe it's because I played it over and over until I got tired of it.

#3 ·
Vami,

Get Stan Getz' Focus CD and you can hear all of the tracks that he recorded with strings. Eddie Sauter's writing for strings on the Focus recording is absolutely great. I don't usually care for the string writing that I often hear behind jazz players. Too often it falls into a kind of syrupy formula. However, Eddie Sauter's approach to strings took them out of that often-hearded style and gave the strings the kind of b***s that one hears with the great classical composers. When I listen to Focus I hear a Bela Bartok influence in Sauter's work. Bartok is one of my favorite composers. If you want to hear some string playing that will rip your head off listen to the Bartok 4th string quartet. It's like hearing Coltrane at his best.

Roger

#4 ·
I second that emotion. Eddie Sauter was a brilliant arranger, and the real-time tension between the lush strings playing his charts, and Getz improvising melodic lead... Well, Getz recorded a lot of beautiful solos in his career, but the "Focus" album stands out from beginning to end as some of his most breathtaking, inspired work. I've listened to it again and again for decades, and never get tired of it.

#5 ·
Gitanes Jazz

Last weekend I got a copy of "Gitanes Jazz" by Stan Getz with Astrud and Joao Gilberto on vocals. It was on sale at a giveaway price.
I must say Stan Getz on the tenor is "magical". I can't stop myself listening to it. I'm still playing it every night.

#6 ·
About 5 years ago a friend of mine contacted the proper estates and universities and managed to get Eddie Sauter's original string parts for "I'm Late, I'm Late" from "Focus".
They were sketches at best. He recreatd the string parts and I transcribed Getz's solo.

It was an interesting transcription to do. With the string parts in front of you and really close listening you'll find sections where the strings go into 7/4. These sections are not played very well by the strings. It is obvious, by what he plays that, Stan does not think these sections in 7 at all

I can send a pdf of the solo if you shoot me an e-mail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.