Sax on the Web Forum banner

barely puch down the octave key

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ratracer 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a question. When I go to play D and E and up I see that my beginner sax book shows the octave key pushed down. I've noticed that when I push it completely down I get a screeching sound. When I push it just a tad to let air through I get a tone (sometimes)
Someone shed some light down on this

#2 ·
Something is wrong.

Take your horn to a tech, then find a teacher - preferably one that plays woodwinds.

#3 ·
You need to explain yourself more.

Are you saying when playing D and E and above with the octave thumb key pressed, the notes do not play ?

or

Are you saying they only play when the thumbkey is pressed just a little bit ?? But when pressed completely they do not ?

"I see that my beginner sax book shows the octave key pushed down". What does this mean, exactly ?

#4 ·
Hi guys, So i've played several saxophones that i've rented, and they all do this. Which makes me think it's my fault.
I have to let down on the octave key (I'm not sure if that's the right name for that key) I have to push ever so lightly or it screeches!
but in the saxophone book I have, it shows the the key in black, pushed down

#5 ·
OK, so let me write it this way, and you can confirm this is the situation you are facing:

When you play second octave D, E, F, G....you press down the thumb octave key completely....and the note screeches and doesn't play.

But when you play those notes and you press down the thumb key just a tad, the notes speak OK, yes ?

Next Q: when you finger a... G for example (left hand 1-2-3 fingers pressed) and press the octave thumb key all the way down...does the NECK keycup (on top of neck) OPEN at all ?

#6 ·
As Dr G said, you need a teacher, or at least sit down with another sax player. They will figure out what you're doing wrong in about 30 seconds. There's no way we can fix this without seeing and hearing you and your sax.

In spite of what you've said, still sounds like a mechanical problem where both octave keys are opening or not at all, possibly due to the way you're putting on the neck.

If it is you, could be anything from reed placement, reed strength, embouchure, air support, accidentally pressing side keys, foreign object inside horn, who knows. Beginners also squeak as a matter of course until they learn the proper techniques and get some practice time under their belt.

#9 ·
OK, so there it be.

The notes G and down cannot speak properly as long as the neck octave key is opening.

.... LIKELY problem is there isn't enough cork beneath the octave key thumb.

There are TWO octave key cups...ONE is on NECK, second is at the top of the BODY tube, below the neck receiver. Find that BODY one.

From the notes G down, the BODY key cup should open, the NECK key cup remain closed. From notes A and above, the body key cup should close, neck key cup should open. It is the G key which activates or de-activates this mechanism.

It sounds like when you press thumbkey, while fingering G or below, BOTH the neck keycup and body key cup are opening.

That is a misregulation.

USUALLY the misregulation is that the thumb octave key is depressing TOO MUCH. (could be an alternative misregulation, but this is by far the most common).

Try slipping some material between the body tube and the back of the octave thumb key....maybe like a piece of cardboard. Then a piece of cardboard folded over once if necessary. Then try fingering a G note. You still will want the thumb key to depress slightly, of course.

Depending on how much material you put between the thumbkey and the body, you should get to a point where the thumbkey still depresses, which while fingering a G ...should still open the BODY octave key cup....WHILE keeping the NECK octave keycup closed.

If you can get that to happen, you have your answer: there is not enough cork at the underside of the octave thumb key.

There should be enough cork there to allow the BODY octave key cup to open when fingering G, yet keeps the NECK octave key cup from engaging (i.e. keeps it closed).

This is an easy fix, literally a 4-minute tech repair. Or you DIY - can glue or tape a piece of material (felt, cut cork) to the body beneath the thumb key yourself.

It's freezing temps in PDX today and we are just getting our first snow of year....

#8 ·
Thanks everyone! I hope if you live in Colorado you all stay warm! It's on record to be the coldest day in 2 years. (colder than Ankron Alaska)

#15 ·
hey there sax for Jesus
I just wanted to say hi
I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say
that I like your name
looks like your post was started in 2013
hope you continue to play
I just retired and have more time to practice
and then more practice the bettbt you get
but you run into new problems
kind of like life

#16 ·
OP - you haven't reported back to confirm JayePDX' advice worked, so along with the other excellent advice, make sure you're not hitting the left hand D, E, or F palm keys with your palm or fingers when depressing the octave key with your left hand thumb. If you're not holding the sax properly with the left hand, if you crack one of those keys inadvertently, you may be getting your "screechy" sound...

Since moving from alto to tenor seven years ago, from time to time, I still tend to hold my left hand too high to efficiently utilize the left hand palm and left hand pinky cluster keys cleanly...

And yeah, to pile on, a teacher would be invaluable...

Let us know how it turns out for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.