Sax on the Web Forum banner

Clicky keys/pads

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Gordon (NZ) 
#1 ·
Recently I've realized that the keys on my tenor have gotten really clicky. I think it may be the pads; they seem to have gotten stiff over time. I know my instrument needs regulation, but do you all think it could be time for a repad?

#2 ·
It's hard to diagnose this issue over the internet, but I'm clairvoyant and I can visualize your saxophone. I feel that it is a tenor. No, wait, an alto. No, it's a tenor. I'm positive now. I can see from channeling your chakra colors that it is a tenor. And it is made of some kind of metal. Brass, yes, brass. Brass with little buttons that you push to change the pitch produced by the instrument. And I see a name . . . . a Yana something, or maybe a Yama . . . But that doesn't matter now.

Anyway, I have the answer for you based on first determining whether it the keys or the pads making the noise. How do you tell, oh great mystic sax guy, you might ask. Well, is it snicky or or is it clicky? Snicky is the noise of a pad lifting. Clicky is the noise of too much play in the mechanism. I'm getting a feeling that it is, yes, I can hear it now, it's clicky. You need to have some swedging to reduce the play in your upper stack. And your side Bb key has too much lateral play. And your great grandmother has something to tell you . . . . but that can wait. Getting the sax fixed is more important.

Mark
The Saxophone Whisperer

I blame this post on Union Jack IPA

#4 ·
I don't think so.

#7 ·
You can also hold a few barrel ends, like maybe the high F key or the Low B or Bb key barrels, right near their posts, and see if you can move the barrels side-to-side at all on their screws or rods. Could be that.

If it's actually a click metallic sound (metal to metal) then this isn't likely due to the pads. If it is more of a clap or clup sound, then perhaps (depending on the kind of pads - oftentimes very firm pads will 'age' in this way.

It's may be either clicking at the pivot points, clicking due to a piece of felt or cork which has fallen off or compressed too much, or.....

Does it happen all over the sax (upper stack, lower stack, palms, sides, spats ?

#8 ·
#11 ·
Very clever, Mark, and so apt. :)
I would like to add the "slap" noise. That occurs when a perfectly adjusted, high quality pad hits the entire tone hole edge simultaneously - a sign of great work. Not likely in this case.
Then there is the "kschlong", when the back of the pad contacts the tone hole before the rest, but the pad is resilient. The player presses harder and eventually gets a seal. Not likely that either, because the pads have probably hardened. Although servicing is required or it will lead to the "schlo-click" when the pad hardens.

In this case the rather hardened) back of the pad hits the tone hole first, then the player presses harder on the pearl at the front of the pad, so the key's cup&pad see-saws on that first point of contact, such that the pivot rod leaves one side of the sloppy pivot tube and "clicks" to the other side. becuase the player has resited se\eing a tech for a long time, there is a hardened dent in in the back of the pad, and no amount of adjusting will correct it. The sax, through long-term neglect of proper adjustment, and the player pressing hard and wearing out pivots in an attempt to get a seal, needs new pads and the swedging works. :)

#13 ·
Yes, I brought it in and got it repaired. I'm not sure exactly what they did to it, since my dad picked it up for me, but I think they might've treated the pads somehow. They're like a whisper now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.