Sax on the Web Forum banner

Music Medic Conn 12.5m neck review

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  JayeLID 
#1 ·
Just throwing this out there for current/ prospective 12m players. I recently purchased one of these necks and am very satisfied. I was almost considering selling my 12m for the problem that most people dislike 12m's for; being forced into using large chambered vintage-style mouthpieces. I currently play on a Jody Jazz HR* 8 which play dead in tune with this neck. On the original neck I can't even play this thing even with it dangling off of the end of the cork.

As far as sound is concerned the difference is extremely minimal. The only detectable difference I noticed with some extensive A-B ing on a mouthpiece that works on both is that the newer neck seems more articulate/ stable. I wouldn't even say that the original neck was more flexible/ bigger sounding in any way. Picking up a later 12m and adding on this neck is an extremely cost effective buy IMO.

What this neck is not is a huge upgrade to the sound of the instrument. This is a quality of life purchase and makes the 12M more usable in situations where you really need to be heard. I don't have to worry about my horn denying mouthpieces anymore which just makes my job easier and less stressful.

I'll try to make a direct comparison of the two necks and post it on here.

See less See more
#9 ·
thanks for that.....
looks alot different hey...?
how much did this one cost you...?
cheers,philip
View attachment 84441 View attachment 84440

The neck is not only longer but the bend us a bit higher up; for me this is more comfortable. The palm keys did play a bit flat with the original neck compared to the 12.5m neck. Will post sound file in the morning

#10 ·
https://clyp.it/tzz33mfg - original neck
https://clyp.it/diyvfge4 - 12.5m neck (music medic)
Take this with a grain of salt; recorded on an older cell phone. I think I ended up being slightly closer to the mic on the recording with the music medic neck.

From my perspective the 12.5m neck sounds/feels tighter. It's also easier to get really articulate at times or just have more definition. The difference is not huge. I bought mine for 750USD; I think the newer ones have braces and an improved octave mechanism. Keep in mind I chose bare brass ( the cheapest option).

Before anyone asks; I'm playing on a Jody Jazz HR* 8 with a size 3 plasticover. I've messed around with plenty of reed/ mouthpiece combos but this works for me. Extremely easy to play. Considering the chamber size I have to have this one almost dangling off of the end of the original neck. Even if I throw some paper on there for a quick fix it's very uncomfortable and difficult to adjust pitch. In contrast; the 12.5m neck tunes about half way down the cork for me. Very practical. I'm also playing on a transitional 12m and not one of the later ones.

Like I said, don't consider this some kind of huge sound upgrade. The difference is very minimal. I think I ended up a bit flat on the recording with the original neck, but it's pretty difficult to get it in place even after tuning. The only advantage I think the original one has is maybe it's more flexible. That's not really something I would like on a baritone most of the time. I prefer a lot of cut; otherwise you will never be heard in a section IMO.

Advantages:
-longer/higher neck for (myself personally) increased comfort
-Ability to play any mouthpiece without worrying about it falling off
-slightly more stable/ articulate
-minor intonation improvements (in my experience)

#12 ·
I've been looking for a 12m neck for the Honors Jazz Band I teach on Saturdays. When searching through their disorganized music closet I found a late model 12m (nickel keys) but it had a modern Bari neck with no octave key. After finding some used on eBay for 400 and music medic for over 600 I ended up reaching out to one of the Chinese companies that sells necks on eBay. I shared some photos and specs and now they offer one for 99!

I though I should share for the good of all you Conn lovers on a budget!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192451340536?ViewItem=&item=192451340536&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

#13 ·
Great to know, is the tenon diameter a good fit ? or did it have to be adjusted/replaced ?

At the end of the day....to get a neck to 'work' with a horn (probably even as picky a horn as a 12M)....this advice STILL is a spot-on way to determine an acceptable match:

(When I say 'work'...I mean providing a neck which will intone the horn well up and down the registers. That's not necessarily the same thing as providing the same sorta tonality/response that the original neck would provide.
The MM neck, from reports, seems to produce a close sonic match to the original 12M neck. Most generic chinese necks don't do that - although neither will they 'wipe out' the tonal signature of a vintage model - but again, if for the price point you can get a workable horn from a $99 neck, that's a darn good result).

#14 ·
I have an even older Conn New Wonder bari, but the neck for that has the octave pip on the side and no lever; and it's not like anyone is going to make a new one of those given how rare these old horns are used. But the cheaper alternative for me to play a modern styled mouthpiece on the NW I, and one that will also work with a 12M, was to get an extended shank (5 1/2" total length) RPC rollover for bari.

#16 ·
JayePDX - Good question. I have not tried it yet. I have to jump through some administrative hoops to order it. Not even sure if I can get it seeing as ebay is not an approved vendor for Chicago Public Schools. I may have to buy it myself and get reimbursed. I'm still waiting to hear back. When I do, and if I can order it I will be sure to review.

Grumps - Contact the guy selling the necks on ebay. He was very responsive and posted the 12m neck within a few days.

#19 ·
All true. But when you get down to it...all that is important when you have a neckless body...is finding a neck which works with the body. Thus my reference to the youtube video above.

If the neck intones the horn decently up and down and if a tech can tweak the tenon (or replace it) to fit the body receiver.....that is really all one can ask of a generic replacement. Because now one would have a complete horn that plays pretty well.

I agree with you, IF the goal is to find a neck which really is CLOSE in performance to the original (or in the case of OP is actually an IMPROVEMENT to the original)....that is laudable; also an entirely different level of neck-horn matching. Thus, expect to spend $300-800 for it. Some folks don't want to invest that sort of $, or don't have it.

But if you are buying a generic off of eFlay, and there's no way to test the natural pitch per that video - at least 1) be sure the tenon diameter is within .25mm of the original neck tenon so it can be expandable/compressible to fit the original receiver....and 2) make sure the neck tube is relatively LONG, and not short.

If you have those 2 things going, you at least have a decent chance to get it to work (with simple tweaks).

#20 ·
The way I see it, if it works, with modification or not, I have a viable instrument for this kid to use in house at the program I teach. There is a beautiful P. Mauriat at his H.S. he can use on concerts but traveling downtown with it on multiple busses would be hard on the poor kid. Also, rather than letting a beautiful horn collect dust in a school closet, it would be great to see it getting used. If not, there is a return policy and it will have been a fun experiment.

#23 ·
Or you can sell it to me.
The worst-case scenario here would be if the natural pitch of the neck is intoned higher than a 12M neck, by like more than 1/4 step. That would make this neck unusable on that body, likely.

If it's the opposite, pitched lower, then as I mentioned the tube could be trimmed, or maybe not even necessary if the m'piece can be pushed in enough to get the sax in tune.

The other issue would be the tenon. If it needs replacing, a tech can order proper-sized tenons and it's not a hard job (unless the neck tube end which inserts into the tenon is significantly smaller than the tenon collar ~ in which case there are end-arounds which can still get you there, but it requires more time by the tech). A $99 roll of the dice ? Maybe worth it.

I have seen folks spend $99 far more foolishly, fer' sure...

#22 ·
They tend to bid up more than $200...closer to the $250 range from what I have seen

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-In...n=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

For some folks, there's a significant difference between $240 and $99.....enough of a diff to make a purchase feasible or not.

Now, if the $99 generic needs significant alteration (say the tenon is not withing adjusting range, so it needs to be replaced; then say the natural pitch of the neck is significantly lower than a 12M neck so the tube needs to be cut a bit)...that tech work may run $75-100 or so, in which case at the end of the day there might not be much savings, indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.