Sax on the Web Forum banner

Help on buying Soprano ! (best choice under 2k)

8K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  LostConn 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm new here, hello to all!
I'm trying to buy a used straight soprano sax, i play alto tenor and baritone;
i love the ones that come with the bent neck but they are out of my budget (my dream is yss62r silver )

my choices were between :
-yss 475 (i wish i could get 675 but you can get it under 2k)
-paul mauriat system 76 2nd (here you can get the one with two necks or the one-piece only; does something change (tunning, sound) between the saxophones that have interchangeable necks and the one-piece only? (i've noticed that there aren't too much fans of the p. mauriat here)
-yanagisawa ¿? could you recommend me something here?

i appreciate your answers and im open to extra recommendations

thanks!

#2 ·
Hello. A good bargain horn is the Vito soprano, which is a Yanagisawa stencil. It in turn was modeled after a Selmer Mark VI and can sometimes be found under $1000. If you choose vintage, the Conn/Buescher/Martin triumvirate is a good option and they can sometimes be picked up for very reasonable prices (any work needed must be taken into account). If you could save another $400 - $500 over the $2000 you can purchased a used Selmer Series II or even Series III. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
No, not all... there are Vitos made by Yanagisawa and Vitos made by other companies,including Beaugnier and also KHS-Jupiter ( Made in Taiwan also called Republic of China) . Like this.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?142084-FS-Vito-(Jupiter)-Soprano-mint-475-w-accessories

this is someone who actually, unlike some who obviously don't know what they are talking about, really knows a lot about the various incarnations of the several Vito Stencils. Look them up.

http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

#9 ·
#13 ·
What horn do you play now that you really love, if any? That will tell me alot about how you approach blowing and that, in turn, may shed some light on what direction you should consider.

BTW/ The 475 is a strong horn and I prefer it big time to the 675 for sound. Nothing wrong with the 675 but sometimes I think Yamaha slices the bread a little too thin. But not at either end: the "low end" is excellent as is the "high end".

#15 ·
A year or two ago I bought a nice condition YSS475, slightly used but in great shape. If you are patient and watchful you should be able to find a nice one that is not that old for $1K - 1.4K USD. Intonation wise, I've found this horn to be very good. The springs are a bit heavier/stiff and the action is a bit higher than on some higher end horns, but it plays well and I think would serve you very well until/if you decide you really need an upgrade - though you could still go far with this horn. And if you decide you want to sell it, you'll likely lose very little and not have a hard time moving it (for a soprano, anyway).

#16 ·
I play a vintage 62 on alto, a 875-custom on tenor and a selmer bundy on baritone

i always liked soprano but for working needs i had to buy the tenor first; i could get the tenor for under 2k on ebay on a great auction; and now i'm looking for that always wanted soprano; i had (don't know why) this thing for bent necks, i just think that's my thing, maybe it's just something that got into my mind
anyways, it really changes the sound between 475 and 675? some time ago i was used to find yss 675 on lower price on ebay but now they are all above 2k...

thanks again for all your answers!

#18 ·
Viking has a bent-neck soprano for $1,850.

http://www.viking-instruments.com/M60-VALKYRIE.html and scroll down.

Seems to be within your budget. Just sayin'. Haven't played one meself.

Hi! I'm new here, hello to all!
I'm trying to buy a used straight soprano sax, i play alto tenor and baritone;
i love the ones that come with the bent neck but they are out of my budget (my dream is yss62r silver )

my choices were between :
-yss 475 (i wish i could get 675 but you can get it under 2k)
-paul mauriat system 76 2nd (here you can get the one with two necks or the one-piece only; does something change (tunning, sound) between the saxophones that have interchangeable necks and the one-piece only? (i've noticed that there aren't too much fans of the p. mauriat here)
-yanagisawa ¿? could you recommend me something here?

i appreciate your answers and im open to extra recommendations

thanks!

#19 ·
I would recommend looking at the vintage route.

I was able to get a 1927 true-tone and have it overhauled for about $1500 total investment. Much cheaper than most new soprano's and the tone has no comparison. I have tried some new top of the line selmer's, yamaha's and yanagisawa's, and none of them compare to the buescher.

#20 ·
Viking Soprano M58S is my choice. It's a copy of the Yamaha 62. Price is right, tone is great, intonation from bottom to top is perfect. It also travels well. Nice warranty on all of the horns.

HWJr.

#21 ·
Viking Soprano M58S is my choice. It's a copy of the Yamaha 62. Price is right, tone is great, intonation from bottom to top is perfect. It also travels well. Nice warranty on all of the horns.

HWJr.

#22 ·
I just bought a Sax Dakota soprano SDSS-XR 72 - the one made from raw bronze alloy with no lacquer. You can get them under $2000 if you shop around. Wow - what a sound! Very, very dark (which I prefer). Super comfortable, GREAT intonation, seems built like a tank. Hands down the best soprano I've ever played (have played on many, including a Mark VI for years). Of course, your mileage may vary - different strokes for different folks and all that. But the Sax Dakota horns are really impressive these days. That soprano, paired with my soprano planet Open Sky 2 mouthpiece makes for the most comfortable, expressive, gorgeous sound I have ever gotten out of a soprano.

#23 ·
You have several good recommendations, and there is a lot available under $2K. Wanting a bent neck, however, eliminates a lot of vintage saxes that can be had for under $2K. Yamahas, Selmers, Yanagisawas and Keilwerths with bent necks are hard to find under $2000. If you see one under $2K jump on it, but they regularly appear used for under $2500.

As you know, if you buy on eBay, you need to have a good tech and budget-in work to get it to playing condition. You might get lucky, but it is a crap shoot.

Although saxes form China are improving, most companies still cut corners, so if you get a well-designed one, it will need an overhaul in about a year. Second, their brands tend to be not well-known, so it is hard to sell them for more than $2-400 or so no matter what you paid.

That puts you into Taiwanese made brands. Most of the surviving companies have top-end products that are pretty good. Just avoid their lower-end products. You mentioned P. Mauriat, but there is also Cannonball, Jupiter including Keilwerth ST-90, and Chateau.

There are also the Taiwan-made boutique horns that have been suggested to you, Sax Dakota, Viking, 52nd Street. There are a number of others that can be had new or nearly new for under $2000. The danger here is if a boutique quits business, the re-sell value of the sax usually drops quickly. If you don’t care about re-sell value and can afford to lose a thousand or more on a horn, that gives you more options.

I suggest you visit some local music stores and try some sopranos out. They will have a limited number a these brands, so you might have to try several stores. I suggest that you avoid store brands unless it is a sax specialty stores of no small reputation, like Roberto’s Winds in NYC or Kessler and Sons in Las Vegas. Even then, be careful.

My other suggestion for success in your soprano venture is that you fit into your budget a good, well-finished mouthpiece. This is a lot more crucial than on alto or tenor because the tolerances on a soprano mouthpiece are so small. Many stock, mass-produced mouthpieces will give you difficulties that you will attribute to your horn. On soprano, the mouthpiece is more important than the horn regarding several aspects of sound creation.

I recommend you start by talking to Joe Giardullo at SopranoPlanet. He has already posted on this thread and magsman recommended his Open Sky 2. Joe’s mouthpieces are a good value, but there are other brand options, such as Theo Wanne, Brancher, Pillinger, and others, not to mention other custom facers. Whatever you do, a well-finished soprano mouthpiece will make your journey much more pleasant.

Best of luck.

#24 ·
That puts you into Taiwanese made brands. Most of the surviving companies have top-end products that are pretty good. Just avoid their lower-end products. You mentioned P. Mauriat, but there is also Cannonball, Jupiter including Keilwerth ST-90, and Chateau.

There are also the Taiwan-made boutique horns that have been suggested to you, Sax Dakota, Viking, 52nd Street. There are a number of others that can be had new or nearly new for under $2000. The danger here is if a boutique quits business, the re-sell value of the sax usually drops quickly. If you don't care about re-sell value and can afford to lose a thousand or more on a horn, that gives you more option

Best of luck.
Speaking of Taiwanese saxophones, I think Lien Cheng, while it has been manufacturing since 1945, is quite underrated. I have a curved soprano and I am happy with it. The problem with this company is that it started to use its own name only in 2000 and prior to said year it builds saxophones for other companies under different brands.

#29 ·
+1

That's a great price.

If you can find one, a Yani S800 might be worth a serious look. Incredibly lyrical horn, and I still haven't completely dialed in my setup. I picked one up earlier this year for a very good price and my S901 has been collecting dust in its case ever since.

#28 ·
"There are also the Taiwan-made boutique horns that have been suggested to you, Sax Dakota, Viking, 52nd Street. There are a number of others that can be had new or nearly new for under $2000. The danger here is if a boutique quits business, the re-sell value of the sax usually drops quickly. If you don’t care about re-sell value and can afford to lose a thousand or more on a horn, that gives you more options. "

Well that's not really right in my experience and I respect your opinion. No disrespect.. My humble opinion . Buy a new Selmer tenor and be prepared to throw away $2000.00 on resale. Buy a Yamaha tenor and prepare for the same . So many on the market used. Had a customer who was buying a 875ex alto for $4800.00 from a store and they passed.Whats a used one sell for or for that matter or a Super action 80 II alto? This is an honest conversation. I like honesty. Whats a used Yamaha 675, 875 sop sell for these days or a used series III? What was the going price New?

#31 ·
Well that's not really right in my experience and I respect your opinion. No disrespect.. My humble opinion . Buy a new Selmer tenor and be prepared to throw away $2000.00 on resale. Buy a Yamaha tenor and prepare for the same . So many on the market used. Had a customer who was buying a 875ex alto for $4800.00 from a store and they passed.Whats a used one sell for or for that matter or a Super action 80 II alto? This is an honest conversation. I like honesty. Whats a used Yamaha 675, 875 sop sell for these days or a used series III? What was the going price New?
Rich, you are spot on. I rarely think about new horns, especially when it comes to Big 4 manufacturers for that exact reason, too much depreciation when you drive off the lot, so to speak. For under $2000, I had already eliminated new saxes from these manufacturers in my consideration. It is a great point though.

And FWIW, I really like what you are doing with your horns, which also have a good and growing reputation. Best wishes.

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.