Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Just got a 586LQ soprano

I just received a 586LQ soprano in near-new condition from another SOTW member, and I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. It feels very nice in my hands (the original owner barely used it after purchasing it from Kessler Music in March, so it's already set-up), and the keywork is solid, actually far better than I expected on a horn a third the price of a Yani, and my expectations were fairly high to begin with, given the good things people have to say about the Antigua sopranos.

Since this is my first soprano, I obviously have a lot of work to do on my tone, but after about three hours, I find that I can get a very agreeable jazz sound with a metal Runyon Quantum & with the spoiler and a Vandoren ZZ #2. The reeds are brand-new, but already a little too soft, so I will probably move up to a #2.5 in the near future.

Out of curiosity, those of you who play an Antigua soprano, what is your jazz set-up?

Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

Antigua 590LQ - Jody Jazz #9, V16 2-1/2.

I don't have a 'Jazz' set up. I do have a 'universal' set up though.

On my 590SP, I use ZZ 2.5's on a Yanni metal 7.
    MMM, srcsax, baritone. Honest & decent sellers. All more than worthy of an endorsement.

Distinguished SOTW Member

I agree with Russ - all I play is jazz, though. I use a Super Session J with Java #2 reeds on my 590LQ.

For what it is worth, I recently advised another SOTW poster with whom I was meeting to switch from the Morgan Protone that came with his 586BN, to my Selmer S-80 F. Great changes in his sound - more power, sweeter tone, perfect intonation. DAVE
    Dave

I'll have to try out various Selmers. I have a hard time finding very many to try out locally, though. I'm thinking I might also try a Jody ESP when I can finally afford one.

Just a short message to tell you that finally I got my new 586LQ Soprano which replaces my Maxtone.
    I've played it for half an hour with a Morgan Protone piece and fibracell soft and med-soft reeds.
    Two things came to mind while playing:
    - action is really comfortable
    - high notes, above A are now in tune :-)

Got to go now :-)
    I'll come to you with a detailed report.
    Joe Pine: "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman."
    Frank Zappa: "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."
    baffonero@soundclick

I play a Lamberson Fmaj7 on my 590LQ.
    Fred for president!!

I use one of the Gary Sugal "composite" soprano sax mouthpieces on my 586 LQ. I originally bought it because it was inexpensive, however, it can keep up with many other well-known HR soprano mouthpieces in the $100.00 range. I'm still going through reeds, although I am primarily using La Voz softs.