Sax on the Web Forum banner

Any advantage to buying a Bauhaus Walstein from Woodwindandbrass?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ilikezoot 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking a purchasing a BW soprano (as some will have seen in a previous thread of mine).

I can get it cheaper and with a 1 year 'health check' and 5 year warranty at a sax shop in stoke, but I see on sotw that most who buy these seem to get them from WWAB.

The shop in stoke do a test play and any adjustments before sending out, I am not sure what WWAB do, just wondering if there is any particular advantage to WWAB, such as them being main distributor and getting preferential treatment or anything like that?

Thanks

#2 ·
WWAB gets a lot of on line business from those not close enough to visit shops. Getting a deal like the one offered to you from a local shop like yours is a great way to go. You get to hold and test before you buy, a one year check up to fix any basic problems, and a warranty. That's nice. I have yet to play a BW, but they receive solid marks here at SOTW.
Good luck in your search!

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately stoke isn't exactly local and due to general business of life I probably won't be able to get there so ill still have to receive it by post. Pete, to your knowledge has BWs QC or constancy got any worse over time? I saw a thread somewhere suggesting it is and I'm quite nervous about not doing the travel to shop and play a load of saxes thing I'd usually do, the shop in Stoke order them as required so would only have the one in.

#5 ·
As far as I know the horns are set up be Stephen Howard, an extremely good technician. I don't know about their QC or consistency as I haven't had any dealings with them for a while, but you will always get people ready to bash a Chinese horn it's just what happens, I did see something about one isolated incident regarding an overseas importer that I saw and the last I heard is that they are no longer relying on international distributors because of that.

If Stoke isn't close then there isn't much advantage with the 1 year service. I would recommend you ring them and speak to Martin, he is a very straight guy.

#6 ·
I will do, where would I find the number? As far as I can see the number is the same on the BW site as it is WWAB. I'd be more likely to get to stoke for a service at 1.5hrs than Portsmouth at maybe 6hrs!

#9 ·
I checked with Curly but they no longer sell BW, and incidentally neither do sax.co.uk (they said its due to WC issues, part of my concern).

Sorry Pete thanks, I thought you meant that Martin was from BW, not WWAB.

#12 ·
Woodwind & brass has some really great offers at the moment, f.e. a reduced BW curvy (if you want a curvy). I could buy their M2 gold and silver tenor for a reduced price some weeks ago and really love the horn (I have the same model as alto, too).

#13 ·
The basic model can have play in the action. The AI model is improved in that it has larger screws fitted to take up the play. Even then there can be play in the action.
For some reason they can't make sops as well as the altos or tenors.
I had a customer buy the AI model and a couple of springs came out. (Holes too big). I fitted new springs and he hasn't had an issue since.

Mine is the basic twin neck model. It has an issue when I got it that had been missed. (Cork too thin so Bb wasn't closing.) An easy fix.
Octave key didn't work 100% of the time as it was loose. Needed swedging and the metal is very tough so it isn't easy to do.
Loose keywork became apparent after a little use. It still works though. I don't use it much now so I'm not too bothered about it, but if I had to buy a sop again I'd get a secondhand known make.

#14 ·
This is my concern, but not being an expert or tech I'd feel really nervous about buying a secondhand, there is nowhere near me with a good selection of second hand in my range to try, so I'd just have to buy on eBay and hope for the best which makes me nervous.

Sounds like the AI would be a better bet. Is play in action something that a tech could sort?

As with all things there are good and bad reviews for BW, but a large number seem very impressed with the results in this kind of budget (if I had the budget I'd buy the Yani).

#16 ·
This is my concern, but not being an expert or tech I'd feel really nervous about buying a secondhand, there is nowhere near me with a good selection of second hand in my range to try, so I'd just have to buy on eBay and hope for the best which makes me nervous.
You're about an hour and a half from one of the biggest second hand woodwind sellers - Woodwind Exchange in Bradford. Not the cheapest but they have the biggest range to try.

If you buy on Ebay go with a good make so you have some idea of a consistent level of quality. It's normal to have a bit of adjustment needed whether you buy new or used, so just be prepared to get small issues tweaked.

Taking out play in the action can usually be done, but it can be a bit trickier on a Bauhaus because the brass is harder then pretty much anything else. The play is there from the start rather than due to natural wear and tear. Holes are oversized and bigger screws may be required. The AI already has bigger screws and even that doesn't sort it out. Whether it's a problem# that'll effect playing is something else. In some cases it will - in others not so much.

#15 ·
I have decided to buy the reduced curvy as I've always wanted a curvy, has a lacquer/corrosion issue in a small area and the wrong number stamped on the bell but nothing which should affect playability as far as I can tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.