Sax on the Web Forum banner

Guardala experts chime in please

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  CashSax 
#1 ·
Thinking of maybe ordering a custom DG studio alto mpc from Sakshama. I need to know original DG alto studio model tip size.

I read somewhere 0.096 but I'm not sure. Most DG copies only go to 0.085.

I had an orig DG studio but lost it. I never measured it, but man it felt perfect.

#3 ·
Say blowhard curious did you personally measure one ? Liu Shizhao on his site claims the orig DG studio alto mpc to be 0.096. I am simply trying to double check the orig DG tip size before ordering a custom alto mpc.

I played an orig DG alto studio for yrs but never measured it. Whatever size tip it was, it felt great. In a fit of stupid I sold it.. Recently I tried a new boutique mpc at 0.085 and found it too small of a tip, I couldn't play it.

Before that I had bought a big tip metal berg alto mpc to try out..but at 0.110 it was too wide. So perhaps the 0.096 is a sweet spot..!!

**update** ..one of of our very kind fellow sotwers measured his orig DG alto studio and claims it's 0.090 at the tip..I need more info. We got a mystery going on.

#6 ·
Hi mojo nice to talk, been awhile..we do have mystery. I don't know if Dave himself made all his alto models tip sizes consistant.

So that being said so far here's what I do know.Liu Shizao makes a copy of the DG alto studio and he makes an .85 and a .96, he states the .96 is exact to the orig DG studio alto mpc.

..Mojo that is very interesting that you have seen such a spectrum of sizes in the DG models. Not much info on the orig Guardala alto mpcs out there.

Anyway whatever I had it was easily the best alto mpc I ever played..must confess I never paid much attention to my alto tip openings, first mpc of note I remember was a 6* Lakey, 45yrs later I play an 8* CL...

So there we have it... Mojo you have probably seen more DG's than anyone except DG himself, and I Thank you for giving me the info I need to make a choice.

#13 ·
Hi,
I own 3 original DG HM Studios. Two of them at 0.085 and one at 0.090.
My Sakshama 0.085 works as nicely as the HM ones, great work.
My two cents.

Cheers,
Anselmo

#16 ·
Hi,

Sorry, checking my records I must make some corrections.

-The Studio at .090 is more around .092 actually.

-My Sakshama is at .090.

And as said: The Sakshama works very nicely, very, very close to the originals. Not better or worse, just SLIGHTLY different (as you can expect from any hand made stuff). Really close I would say.
I also have a tenor Sakshama MBI and I can say it is superb, in live situations I prefer it over some of my originals.

I would get any Sakshama's G mpc with NO doubts at all. Mines have proved to be amazing mpcs to me.

Cheers,
Anselmo

PD: I have no interests or connections with Sakshama.

#17 ·
Hi Anselmo, On alto I still regularly play a Lakey hard rubber 8*3 that measures .095 and I could go up a Tip size easily, (actually considering a 9*3)

So I recently bought (and sold) a Berg metal .110 alto mpc that just felt way too wide open, also I keep in my case as a backup spare an old Rico Metalite M11 that measures .110, but unlike the Berg I can actually play the Brilhart.

OK here's the story.....so I ordered a Alto G model from Sakshama, we settled on a .100 tip opening should be fine for me.Needless to say very excited, going to take around a month to have it made.

Have decided to have it plated as the bare bronze is not for me.

#19 ·
Congratulations!!!!!!
I told you: "you couldn't go wrong". They are really fantastic pieces, a great work.
Enjoy it!

#21 ·
I should mention..before the gig this morning I was digging in my alto stash for a decent reed for the show.. then warming up at one point I thought for a minute the #100 tip felt too small, then while messing with a handful of my different strength reeds I started feeling like the custom #100 tip was too big... !!

anyway...What I finally realized is this thing is right on. It's perfect, I think it's a bit more open than my original Guardala studio was. I just need to spend some time and money to find the right reed combo. I'm living with a cardboard padded Rovner lig for now. not my all time favorite but it holds the reed.

#23 ·
Mojo I've had reed trimmers since I was kid, I used a .50 piece and a match before that..I use a simple straight edge razorblade for shaving or notching a reed if necessary. But I'm not usually happy with a doctored reed, of course occasionally I will resort to "adjusting" one that's too stiff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.