Sax on the Web Forum banner

Legere Signature reed question

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Fader 
#1 ·
These reeds are the EXACT same color as my metal mouthpiece, therefore there is no contrast between the reed and mouthpiece tip and I can't see the tip of the reed well enough to line it up properly. Anyone have any solutions for this ? Thanks!

#3 ·
For the vertical component (how high the reed sits), view it side-on. You should be able to see where the reed sits relative to the tip that way. In terms of centering it, you can probably tell from the front or back of the mpc. Or even by feel.

#10 ·
This image I posted is of a reed I had played for a month or so - maybe six weeks. I just had a peek at the marker I used - it wasn't an actual Sharpie, but a Staples brand, non-toxic permanent marker.

Ultimately, I'd have to side with the other posters here, and say it's probably better to use your sense of touch to find your reed's position. You often cannot count on lighting conditions to be good enough for a visual approach.

And of course, let your ears and embouchure be the final judge in the matter, since symmetry isn't always indicative of the ideal reed position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.