Sax on the Web Forum banner

Legends Chris Potter (RS Berkeley)

24K views 114 replies 32 participants last post by  minicooper 
#1 ·
Some of you may know that I have been looking for "the mouthpiece" for quite a while. Since 2008, I have owned at least 20 different pieces trying to find the one that would help me get my tone closest to what I heard in my head. A friend of mine, who endorses RS Berkeley, had received a Chris Potter piece from Les to try out and I asked him if I could give it a go.

Guys, let me tell you, this thing is legit. It gets me exactly where I want to be, tonally. It's dark, but it projects enough; it can get an edge when I need it; it subtones like no one's business; I can whisper low Bb and the high notes are big and round. Most importantly, for me, it has the classic tenor "hollow" tone that I've been dying for. Intonation is effortless, across the entire range of the horn. I'm not going to say it's "freeblowing" because it's not, it has that "good" resistance that everyone talks about, but it's not stuffy in the least. It's very easy to play, but not "freeblowing" if that makes any sense.

From what I understand, this is an exact copy of Chris's mouthpiece, so in effect, it's an exact copy of a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE of a FL Link. So, if you are like me and you've been looking for the classic tenor sound, ala Dexter even, or just want a VERY GOOD FL LINK without rolling the dice on one you can't play first for $600+, I would definitely consider dropping $450 for one of these. Les told my friend that this model is his best selling Legends piece, and if you notice, I think there has only been 1 come up for sale here on SOTW...

Even my wife, who never does this, opened up the door to my practice room to ask me what I was playing because it sounded so good. I told her that I'll never have to buy another mouthpiece ever again, and that made her day. Please, if you ever see me looking to buy something else, point me toward this post so I can slap myself in the face. My search is over.

See less See more
#85 ·
Recently me and a saxophone freak friend of mine had a meetup where we compared horns and mpcs. So much fun and he brought his Berkeley CP piece so we could compare to mine. My piece was silver plated by the previous owner and my friends piece was original. Guess what, there were some differences between them. If it had to do with the silver plating or not, i am not shure but mine was a bit darker i think and his was still dark but with slightly more edge to the sound.

#89 ·
The one I tried that led me to buying the one I have now, is just a hair brighter than the one I ended up with. They're not so different that it's drop-dead noticeable, but it's there (and probably only noticed by the player). I've A-B'd them a few times to be sure.

#87 ·
Keep in mind that all machined pieces are to some degree hand finished. CNC or not there exist vsriance between pieces. Plating makes a super tiny difference. I woul account for the differences in finishing and machining.

I just read the description of these pieces. They are molded and then hand finished.
Considering plating as a variable is nothing. A molded piece has a lot of variance. Hand finishing introduces more. Comparing based on plating just does not make sense.

Don't get me wrong....I have no issues with variance as long as ever example is a good piece. Every mark VI will sound a bit different. I'm just saying there are huge variables in the production process. To focus on plating is like saying candy canes wrapped in different types of cellophane will taste different due to the wrapper, not the recipe.

#93 ·
So to boost this thread a bit I will tell you that i now have tried three different examples of this piece. They vary pretty much in how they take air but also how they sound. Still enjoying mine, its my main piece for a year now and it replaced my robusto metal.

#94 ·
Roger, I've never played a Potter 'piece, but from my experience with Sakshama's mouthpieces, there of course is going to be an ever so slight variation from mouthpiece to mouthpiece! I have three of his "Shorty" tenor 'pieces. I love all of 'em, but all three are ever so slightly different. As you know, it's all about personal comfort level and it sounds like you've found it! If I didn't love the Shorty's so much, I'd maybe try a Potter, but I think between sop, alto and tenor 'pieces, I've already spent my fair share of $$$!

John

#97 ·
It's probably going to happen soon! I read on Facebook, I think it was in one of the Otto Link groups where a guy who had worked with Babbitt on a new stm that is a Florida copy! To be released in 2019.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

#99 ·
10M Fan has been posting on FB that he's working with someone who will be able to CT SCAN his arsenal of great examples of vintage pieces, and they plan on releasing these copies in the future. Claims these will be the most accurate copies to date.

As far as this Potter piece, slap me in the face and point me toward this post, because I sold it last year and have still been searching. I still stand by the fact that it's a great piece, but eventually I found mine to be a little too dark and lacking in that "sizzle" thing. So now I'm on to a Barone Super New York, by way of a Marantz Legacy, Lamberson J6, Phil Tone Tribute, Phil Tone Mosaic and Barone Jazz (which are all, very, very good pieces).

How long I'll stay on the Super New York is anyone's guess. I've decided to stop saying "I've found THE mouthpiece" because I'm sure I'll get an itch sooner or later...

#100 ·
As far as this Potter piece, slap me in the face and point me toward this post, because I sold it last year and have still been searching. I still stand by the fact that it's a great piece, but eventually I found mine to be a little too dark and lacking in that "sizzle" thing. So now I'm on to a Barone Super New York, by way of a Marantz Legacy, Lamberson J6, Phil Tone Tribute, Phil Tone Mosaic and Barone Jazz (which are all, very, very good pieces).

How long I'll stay on the Super New York is anyone's guess. I've decided to stop saying "I've found THE mouthpiece" because I'm sure I'll get an itch sooner or later...
I've exclusively played mine (Chris Potter) for about 3yrs now. Like you, I still play test mpcs from time/time; not because I'm searching for any grail -there is none (I just believe I'm in affordable mpc heaven -life is short- and there are so many excellent mpcs available for contemporary players).

I tried Andy Sheppard 7* and Navarro Bebop Special metal (8) on several visits to a local shop. Last visit, I ended up going home with both :faceinpalm:. For the first time in 3yrs, Andy Sheppard/BBS made me play another mpc (AS) outside of the shed and the audience noticed a difference with many coming to personal say positive compliments -not knowing what was made the difference (an easier playing).

Still love the CP as well as others (Tribute, Mosaic, Robusto, Johnny Griffin, FL, George Garzon etc to name a few) which I still keep. The latest duo just play with a lot more volume, slightly brighter than CP; with almost no resistance and low Bb plays effort less.

Disclaimer: Don't try the AS or BBS mpcs or GAS might bite you again! This is not to redirect the discussion to other mpc comparison or to lower the praise for CP but just that there are many great pieces out there..

#101 ·
I tried a Andy Sheppard 7* mpc at sax.co.uk back in November. I compared it to my RS Berkeley and they was different. The AS had a more focused,pointy quality to it while the RS had a bigger more complex sound and accepted more air to be pushed through it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

#103 ·
I bought this piece. I agree that the tip shape is a little off, however, I found that when I line up the reed from the left (and you have the reed overlapping the right side of the tip) you get the "dark" version. When I line up the reed with the right side of the tip, the center of the tip rail shows a tiny bit, but the piece really comes to life.

Just an FYI.

#110 ·
I know I’m coming to this conversation late, but I’m testing out one of these and it feels almost unplayable. The tip seems more open than others pieces I have that are .105. Maybe it’s the way I’m lining up the reed. The tip is super thin so I may be misjudging how to line up the reed on this mouthpiece....any advice? The tip seems off. I’m using Rigotti 2.5 medium

#112 ·
I know I'm coming to this conversation late, but I'm testing out one of these and it feels almost unplayable. The tip seems more open than others pieces I have that are .105. Maybe it's the way I'm lining up the reed. The tip is super thin so I may be misjudging how to line up the reed on this mouthpiece....any advice? The tip seems off. I'm using Rigotti 2.5 medium
Unplayable how? I played Vandoren Red Java 3 on mine comfortably.

#115 ·
Problem solved...I realized when I was playing that I felt air coming out of the shank along with a little moisture. Turns out my neck cork was a little too compressed from one of my Otto Link pieces that has a smaller shank bore. A little Teflon tape and now it's much better and more responsive. I was feeling like I was losing air even though I was blowing like I normally do

Thanks to all for helping me troubleshoot and sorry for the false alarm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.