Sax on the Web Forum banner

Legends Chris Potter (RS Berkeley)

24K views 114 replies 32 participants last post by  minicooper 
#1 ·
Some of you may know that I have been looking for "the mouthpiece" for quite a while. Since 2008, I have owned at least 20 different pieces trying to find the one that would help me get my tone closest to what I heard in my head. A friend of mine, who endorses RS Berkeley, had received a Chris Potter piece from Les to try out and I asked him if I could give it a go.

Guys, let me tell you, this thing is legit. It gets me exactly where I want to be, tonally. It's dark, but it projects enough; it can get an edge when I need it; it subtones like no one's business; I can whisper low Bb and the high notes are big and round. Most importantly, for me, it has the classic tenor "hollow" tone that I've been dying for. Intonation is effortless, across the entire range of the horn. I'm not going to say it's "freeblowing" because it's not, it has that "good" resistance that everyone talks about, but it's not stuffy in the least. It's very easy to play, but not "freeblowing" if that makes any sense.

From what I understand, this is an exact copy of Chris's mouthpiece, so in effect, it's an exact copy of a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE of a FL Link. So, if you are like me and you've been looking for the classic tenor sound, ala Dexter even, or just want a VERY GOOD FL LINK without rolling the dice on one you can't play first for $600+, I would definitely consider dropping $450 for one of these. Les told my friend that this model is his best selling Legends piece, and if you notice, I think there has only been 1 come up for sale here on SOTW...

Even my wife, who never does this, opened up the door to my practice room to ask me what I was playing because it sounded so good. I told her that I'll never have to buy another mouthpiece ever again, and that made her day. Please, if you ever see me looking to buy something else, point me toward this post so I can slap myself in the face. My search is over.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks, yours was as well obviously. All of yours are... do you still have your Potter piece by the way?

What's the finish on the metal like? I'm curious how that piece will hold up to tarnish and wear as it gets older. I'm looking for an excuse NOT buy one but Im not sure if I can hold out much longer. :)
The finish is... weird, honestly. I'd rather they'd just have nickel plated it or something, but it's a minor thing for me because of how well it plays. It's discolored (darker) already from spit, etc.

Great review, ever since these came out I've been meaning to get one.... Maybe nows the time! Out of curiosity, will this fit regular ligatures that fit metal links? Selmer 404, stock link lig, etc?
I don't have a 404 or stock link lig, however, as it's a Link copy it should fit whatever fit on Links. I've been using the lig I use on basically every metal tenor piece I've had, it's a generic one screw lig of some kind and it fits.

#3 ·
Some of you may know that I have been looking for "the mouthpiece" for quite a while. Since 2008, I have owned at least 20 different pieces trying to find the one that would help me get my tone closest to what I heard in my head. A friend of mine, who endorses RS Berkeley, had received a Chris Potter piece from Les to try out and I asked him if I could give it a go.

Guys, let me tell you, this thing is legit. It gets me exactly where I want to be, tonally. It's dark, but it projects enough; it can get an edge when I need it; it subtones like no one's business; I can whisper low Bb and the high notes are big and round. Most importantly, for me, it has the classic tenor "hollow" tone that I've been dying for. Intonation is effortless, across the entire range of the horn. I'm not going to say it's "freeblowing" because it's not, it has that "good" resistance that everyone talks about, but it's not stuffy in the least. It's very easy to play, but not "freeblowing" if that makes any sense.

From what I understand, this is an exact copy of Chris's mouthpiece, so in effect, it's an exact copy of a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE of a FL Link. So, if you are like me and you've been looking for the classic tenor sound, ala Dexter even, or just want a VERY GOOD FL LINK without rolling the dice on one you can't play first for $600+, I would definitely consider dropping $450 for one of these. Les told my friend that this model is his best selling Legends piece, and if you notice, I think there has only been 1 come up for sale here on SOTW...

Even my wife, who never does this, opened up the door to my practice room to ask me what I was playing because it sounded so good. I told her that I'll never have to buy another mouthpiece ever again, and that made her day. Please, if you ever see me looking to buy something else, point me toward this post so I can slap myself in the face. My search is over.
What's the finish on the metal like? I'm curious how that piece will hold up to tarnish and wear as it gets older. I'm looking for an excuse NOT buy one but Im not sure if I can hold out much longer. :)

#5 ·

+1

#11 ·
Coincidentally, I was on mine last night. It's really good. I compared it to Johnny Griffin 8* from this same company (or was it Drake. Not sure right now). It was quite easier to play (may be because it's not as open) and adapt to. I gambled on Steve's neffmusic.com review and ordered one from Tenor Madness last year and it paid off. I'm really spoiled for options when it comes to tenor mouthpieces but this is a really, really good (note the emphasis) piece that could easily win your heart.

#17 ·
Great mouthpiece, I've gone back onto it from my original HR link. Here's my review - and playing it last Sunday on a gig http://danforshaw.com/wp/two-tenors-at-the-haymakers/

Like Steve Neff said - the only -ve for me is the finish, it became discoloured VERY QUICKLY after playing it and I can't get it back. I'm using one of the SAXSAX ligatures which are good Winslow type ligs.

#20 ·
You must have some inside information because this is the quote form Chris Potter:

"I was very pleased the first time I played this mouthpiece and was amazed to find it's even a little better than the vintage piece it was based on for the sound I'm trying to get. It has a good, clear response in all registers and most importantly, it offers me the flexibility of tone color that thus far I had only been able to find in older mouthpieces. I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I do." - Chris Potter

Does he play it all the time? I don't know, but then again he also didn't play his favorite metal link or favorite HR link all the time also......... I have a bunch of pieces I love but I don't play them all the time either. Doesn't mean I don't like them but now and then I want to mix things up or go for a different sound or vibe........

#30 ·
I bought a RS Berkeley as a backup for my Florida USA Link 7 star. This mpc is really great and I am not sure if I like it more than my Florida at the moment. The only issue is the finish. It looked horrible after two days playing. Lots of corrosion. So I had it professionally silver plated. There was no difference soundwise after this and now I can play it without "metal flavor".
Here is a picture of it:
Writing implement Office supplies Pen Cylinder Font

#31 ·
I bought a RS Berkeley as a backup for my Florida USA Link 7 star. This mpc is really great and I am not sure if I like it more than my Florida at the moment. The only issue is the finish. It looked horrible after two days playing. Lots of corrosion. So I had it professionally silver plated. There was no difference soundwise after this and now I can play it without "metal flavor".
Here is a picture of it:
View attachment 76245
Maybe you can gold plate over the silver. So originally it tasted like metal? Not good!

#32 ·
I saw him at the Blue Note late last year and he had his link metal Florida on. Master classes and promotional pics or clinics are the time when the endorsers endorse. In the end, he will not be playing the piece for anyone when they are at their gig, so, the endorsement thing is worthless. The finish issue seems to be a big one. I can never understand why someone does not make a mold of an old Link with the same manufacturing process as Link used and just finish some pieces just like they did. Same with the hard rubber. It would be far from rocket science and would not necessitate the 3d machines and all that Buck Rogers crap. The finish on that piece looks like a dollar store pot finish. There must be very few people in the process that might vet ideas over at RS Berkeley. But hey, if it works, then who cares? The proof is in the sound. And many greats had rasty looking pieces they played for decades with homemade modifications.

#95 ·
I saw him at the Blue Note late last year and he had his link metal Florida on. Master classes and promotional pics or clinics are the time when the endorsers endorse. In the end, he will not be playing the piece for anyone when they are at their gig, so, the endorsement thing is worthless. The finish issue seems to be a big one. I can never understand why someone does not make a mold of an old Link with the same manufacturing process as Link used and just finish some pieces just like they did. Same with the hard rubber. It would be far from rocket science and would not necessitate the 3d machines and all that Buck Rogers crap.
There are a lot of reasons why this isn't a good idea. A few off the top of my head.

1. Mouthpiece material doesn't matter. You'd be nuts to spend unfathomable amounts of money on making a material that mimics old hard rubber when you can just a readily available modern material that is easier to machine/cheaper.

2. I don't know the specifics of how they did it back then, but it's going to be a less precise process than modern manufacturing with more hand finishing. That introduces more variability into the process which is bad in general but good in that you're more likely to end up with something exceptional by pure accident. Hence why vintage pieces from this era are holy grail mouthpieces, but if you talk to anyone who has actually tried to get a good one, they'll tell you that there are a lot of horrid pieces from that era.

3. I'd be very, very surprised if there was anything special going on in the finishing department. Probably just a tolerances table that the techs had to adhere to. That would obviously be lost forever, and besides, it's functionally no different than taking an example of a good link, measuring the dimensions as well as you can, manufacturing based off those dimensions, and then adding whatever tolerances are economically viable.

4. Even if you did that, the public wouldn't care. That's pretty evident in this thread. Scan created using techniques more precise than the gold standard hand tools? Doesn't matter. The old piece is still better because it's old. As a whole, musicians know absolutely nothing about engineering, physics, and manufacturing in general. Hence why flautists gush over gold springs and why the best equipment always comes from whatever that instrument's golden era happened to be.

#33 ·
All I care about is how it plays. I've bought pieces in the past that looked like crap for 400+ because I played them and they played incredibly. That being said my Chris Potter piece does look horrible. I looked at the picture in Dr. G's post above and it surprised me because it's a totally different color than mine and I forgot it used to be that color. Mine is all dark brown and and almost black in places with green on the sides and table. Washing it with soap and water does nothing. I'm afraid to use anything stronger as I don't know what it will do to the material. If anyone finds a safe solution let me know. thanks, Steve

#41 ·
By the way, this piece is my main piece now since a month or so. Before I was on a robusto 8 metal. I am a link guy after all and this piece rips! I noticed that the tip is uneven though. The reed does not line up on the right side to the tip but over shoots the tip a bit. This piece is a exact copy so i suppose all of them are like that?

#61 ·
The Moody and Dexter pieces from RSBerkeley are gold plated. The Potter piece is the only one with that less than optimal finish. I wonder why they did that when the other two are gold plated? I wonder how hard it would be for them to put out a gold plated version. I know I would be interested............

#72 ·
By the way, I recently rented Pat Metheny's The Unity Sessions video and it looks to me like Chris is playing a RSBerkeley mouthpiece throughout the recording. In the many close-ups you can see the mouthpiece has this mat dark grey appearance. You can see it on the iTunes preview of this video at around 10 seconds into it. He sounds awesome as always. Thoughts?

#74 ·
In Febbruary 2015 I heard live Chris Potter with the Underground Quartet (with Fima Ephron instead of Craig Taborn), he had the RS Berkeley mouthpiece, Selmer 404 and Rico Jazz Select 3 Medium unfiled.
He sounded great as usual... mic'd with a AKG 414 (great mic for saxophones!!!)

To me, the RS Berkeley sounded a very very little darker than his regular Florida No Usa... I could listen the sound check, sitting at less than 10 meters/32 ft from Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.