Sax on the Web Forum banner

My Buescher New Aristocrat Project

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  A Greene 
#1 ·
So I tried to sell this but decided to keep it after playing it. It has a beautiful sound even on ancient pads.

It's a Satin Silver 1933 Buescher New Aristocrat with the #3 Neck. At some point someone took the snaps out of the key cups. BUMMER. I play a Large Chamber Caravan and am a Rascher Fan so this is right up my alley in terms of tonal concept.

Here's My plan

Full Overhaul using White Roo pads (I like the white roos)
Custom Size Metal Dome Resonators to closely match the size of the original Snap Resonators

Although not original this would be me close.

I'm sure this is a money losing situation but I really want to experience the whole "Vintage Buescher" thing. If any tech has suggestions - or any set-up tips - please let me know.

#3 ·
I have an early New Aristocrat which I sent to Mark Aronson in July for his silver restoration (it was lacquered) and got word form him today that it will be on its way back in about a week.:mrgreen: It should look pretty much like the soprano in my avatar (which I purchased directly from Aronson). I really liked the way the NA played on old dried out paids and corks and can't wait to see how it plays after rebuild!

Your horn looks like a nice one....I think you'll be happy that you decided to keep it.

#5 ·
Full Overhaul using White Roo pads (I like the white roos)
Custom Size Metal Dome Resonators to closely match the size of the original Snap Resonators

Although not original this would be me close.

I'm sure this is a money losing situation but I really want to experience the whole "Vintage Buescher" thing. If any tech has suggestions - or any set-up tips - please let me know.
FWIW, I think this will get you as close as is possible, and it's far less expensive than trying to put the snaps back in.

#6 ·
Finally got the horn back and it's really nice. Fairly sure I'm going to resale - as I'm really a modern sax kinda guy. But it's always a good learning experience to play through early 20th Century (1900-1930) classical literature on a 'period' instrument.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.