Sax on the Web Forum banner

Phil-tone Solstice vs. V5 A35

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  The Z 
#1 ·
Hi all,

both of these Mouthpieces seem to be able to go into that Westcoast-Zone as well as be acceptable for legit playing. I've heard some beautiful playing examples on both of them. I think Hayden Chisholm plays on a V5 and he gets a beautiful sound of it, also Lee Konitz uses one.

From reading and looking at pictures i found out, that both feature a rather flat baffle, the Solstices has a larger chamber than the bore, for the V5 it's the other way round, both feature a step from chamber into bore. Solstice has undercut sidewalls, V5 straight sidewalls.

What is your opinion on those mouthpieces? Has anyone played both and can compare sound and feel? Maybe Phil can chime in.

I'm currently quite happy with my Phil-tone Meyer 7, but I'm thinking about getting something different, maybe less bold and fat but more subtle, spread and sweet.

Thanks!

#3 ·
A35 has a smaller chamber so more focus and a bit brighter. However it may be less resonant and lively. If you like the curve on the Meyer you will like the solstice.

If you are looking for that sweet fluty/woody undertone you won't find another modern piece with it.

Happy to help if you decide to go that direction.

#7 ·
Phil,
The Z, what did you decide?
After trying a few mouthpieces at a local shop I realized that what I also wanted is a little smaller tip. I then tried the V16 A6M and liked it very much, it's well made, responds well and has a smooth singing sound with my Leuthner Vienna reeds. It also is less bold but sweeter sounding, which is what I was looking for.

#6 ·
If you want a round and rich tone I'd suggest either the sapphire or the eclipse

The sapphire tends to present with a very rich and round tone that is reminiscent of the blue note era. It is quite refined but can get in your face when you push it. The eclipse has more grit and texture to the tone. I guess more husky. It may be a little closer to the piece you are playing in terms of being a little spread and possessing a lot of color. If you want to move towards a more refined buzz and warmth e Sapphire would be my suggestion.

Shoot me an email with a link or two of a YouTube recording that is in the direction you are trying to go.

Of course I was taking tenor...are we still on alto?

If so probably the Aurora is a good call for something dark, warm and round that still projects.

Take care
Phil

#9 ·
The Z: Interesting that you discovered a squeaking problem with the V16. I had the same problem with one I'd bought new. It constantly chirped for me. I had it re-faced and that helped a bit, but I finally I just gave it away. Many here claim that one feature of Vandoren mouthpieces are their quality and consistency right out of the box. Hmmm . . .

As far as Phil's pieces, I have a soprano Sapphire that plays really well, but no altos from Phil. DAVE

#10 ·
I was thinking about getting the V16 refaced, but then I thought that initially I actually wanted the Solstice. I can't comment on Vandorens consistency, this was the only piece i ever bought of them. Many people seem quite happy with them though, i happened to have bad luck.

Z

#12 ·
I finally ordered a Solstice in a 0.078 opening from Phil Engleman, which I wrote should lean to the darker and rounder side of things.

It arrived last week and now I'm really happy.

Beautiful Sound, round and dark, not to bold but with a subtle edge or grain in the sound. It's flexible and for me it's "neutral", which for me means, that I don't have to fight it, constantly dampening or brightening the sound to where I wan't it. I just blow and the sound I imagine comes out. I think it can go to a lot of places though, soundwise - I'm looking forward to exploring them.

Articulation is great, it feels fast. Resistance for me is how it should be. Subtones, easy. Altissimo is easily accessible, more than with any other mouthpieces I tried before.

Now it's time to get my alto chops up - I feel that soon I'll be equally at home on alto as on tenor.

Thanks to Phil-tone's Solstice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.