Sax on the Web Forum banner

What ever happened to Guardala?

23K views 72 replies 33 participants last post by  allenlowe 
#1 ·
Can you still buy them anywhere? Is David Guardala still in the saxophone and mouthpiece business today?

#32 ·
So he's out. Surprised no one's seen him.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#34 ·
So he's out. Surprised no one's seen him.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Well, I would presume he's traveling in different circles now, if he's traveling in any circles at all. For those without independent means of support, the life of a released felon in the United States is usually extremely grim, with access to employment, housing, and even basic citizenship rights often curtailed. I don't know how many victims he had, but if I were in his shoes I wouldn't be eager to encounter any of them.

#33 ·
I read a victim's report on daveguardala.net, it's really sad and frightening. Wonder if any of the victims verified serial numbers before entering a transaction with Guardala? It might or might not have raised a red flag, I say this because pevention is the first
thing that comes to mind. On the other hand, he wasn't a friend.

#35 ·
I bought a Crescent from him in the late '80's sometime. The transaction went fine but I was never all that thrilled with the mouthpiece.

He's probably leading an anonymous life somewhere outside the music world like most people.

#36 ·
I imagine if he put the money he scammed away from so many people in a safe bank somewhere, he is living large in an island somewhere.
Although, I could imagine he could have made a pretty good living in prison being able to reface many things into a quality shank.
;-)

#37 ·
Of course he got in a position were his criminal tendencies could flourish too. Lots of dreamers basically saying here's my money - make me sound great like MB. He went to prison for four years, no picnic. It's done and over, he was convicted and paid his debt to society.

#38 ·
Like any felon who served their time he has paid his debt to society, but has not paid his debt to this victims. For them to recover what he stole/scammed would involve expensive civil suits which would end up with them paying huge legal fees in order to get their money back from somebody who is not in a position to give it to them.

#45 ·
What some folks don't realize, is that many of his victims were friends and associates.
Yes quite, I know one of them quite well. Some people seem to think this was just about customers ordering and not receiving mouthpieces (as we see in another thread in which one person has not yet receive a mouthpiece from a reputable company, and immediately that company is compared to Dave Guardala. DG committed fraud on a very grand scale, including practices such as selling a single trademark to multiple buyers.

#46 ·
If the guy was smart enough to fraud so many people, I imagine he was smart enough to make a Swiss bank account or other comparable account that cannot be accessed by a court of law. I am very sorry to say this, but I truly think he is somewhere living it up with the stolen money.

:-/

#48 ·
You would be surprised at how little prep work goes into most crime. If the criminal wanted to work they would just work for the money.

It takes a lot of narcissism to break the law. That trait very frequently extends into the delusion that no one is nearly as smart as the criminal and that no one will catch him or her.

#47 ·
Admin note

As SAXISMYAXE posted earlier, we're watching this thread. Please think before posting.

#54 ·
Its really sad. I had a conversation once with a gentleman who knew DG in his early years. According to him, aside from being talented DG was a very good guy, very giving, generous and kind. Reportedly, (I do not know this for a fact) drugs and other lifestyle changes led to the behaviors that sent life in a completely different direction. If that is the case its really too bad and, of course, not the first time we have seen that story unfold. Most of the time people do not turn to crime overnight. Some sort of desperation leads them there. One bad choice leads to another. Then it just becomes a new way of life.

#57 ·
Crime has many reasons and they vary from case to case.

One Dutch Bishop, the late Bishop Muskens, shocked many by saying that if you steal an apple because you are hungry you might be justified. He said often that politicians use and abuse poverty for their goals.

Of course he spoke of stealing an apple as effect of being hungry. He never mentioned (how could he) embezzling large sums from friends and investors.

Some criminals are just that, some others become like that.

They do something that they think it works, get a buzz out of it and they they start having this omnipotence delirium, thinking that they can get away with murder!

Often those who embezzle from others start small and then move to large sums of money, think that they are going to get away with it and that, somehow they are going to be able to play the field and juggle this things in the air forever.

The reality is that it never works and that all that goes up must, sooner or later come down.

Maddof, Tanzi, are a macroscopic example of that sort of thing.

The world of small investors and pension funds has learned, painfully, what that meant for them.

I don’t quite think that they had a reason and any justification to steal so much from so many.

This was NOT an apple, they were not hungry.

There are also pathological criminals. People for whom there is no right or wrong, but that is something else again.

I don’t know DG or his case, I only ever read things here about him. I don’t need to know.

A court of law has determined that he needed being punished, and he was.

He may never repay those who he cheated but he served his time.
What he will do, for the rest of his life will be forever marked by what he did back then.

The Justice of countries might have been served, human justice might never be.

#58 ·
One Dutch Bishop, the late Bishop Muskens, shocked many by saying that if you steal an apple because you are hungry you might be justified.
There are also philosophies that shock people by saying it is criminal to hoard and then not share apples with those who have none. I apologise for the digression, especially into an area that may get close to a political discussion.

#59 ·
......or religious, since, I think that most, if not all, religions agree that the world was given to us all and there should NOT be haves and have-nots but that we should all partake.

But I don’t think that stealing from another has any justification if not to feed yourself and your kin.

There is an important difference between being a Robin Hood and a ROBBING hoodie.

#70 ·
this one is definitely my type! Some who know me well lovingly (i hope) refer to me as Homer Simpson. But i am not sure what it means.

To back on topic: i hope Mr Guardala, wherever he might be, has sorted himself out, and is doing more good than harm this time around. The cynical side of me thinks that Grumps is closer to the truth than we would like to admit.

#72 ·
If anyone has located DG. This is Dave's big chance to do one thing right! Your brother who you left penniless along with the rest of us is now at a point in life where he is surviving on hand outs from churches and shelters. Thanks to You fleecing him out of first his inheritance and then his profit sharing of 80K. Your brother, Paul has cancer and for the second time in four years is going through chemo as of the beginning of August 2015. Dave here is your big chance to help your ONLY brother, who you left penniless and broke. Your brother who worked hard his whole life stocking shelves at a sweat shop and now doing the same in Florida at a Winn Dixie grocery store in Spring Hill. I bet someone who reads this knows where you are. DO THE RIGHT THING!!! HELP YOUR BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

Dave your brother is a good person and he doesn't deserve what you have done to him. It's not right that he is living his life this way. He has also been denied by insurance his medication yeah they can do that, and unlike you this is not a made up bull$&@$ story this is for real.

I have Paul's permission to post this. He does not use a computer. All past posts done here and elsewhere under Paul's name were not Paul and I'm pretty sure those of you who read them and been on SOTW for any length of time are smart enough to figure out who posted fraudulently under his name.

Ps. Debbie's brother passed away as did G.G. The trombonist, so in a sick way I guess you lucked out because there is one person you owe who won't be coming after you.

I have had this note sitting on my computer since the beginning of August and aggravated over the contents. Well, since no one I know, knows where you are and I can't send you this privately it's an open letter which is really meant for only you Dave. Therefore I will not respond to anyone about this in any way. It's a clear message for one person only.