Sax on the Web Forum banner

What ever happened to Guardala?

23K views 72 replies 33 participants last post by  allenlowe 
#1 ·
Can you still buy them anywhere? Is David Guardala still in the saxophone and mouthpiece business today?

#2 ·
The relationship with the builder of Guardala Saxophones, B&S in Germany, was terminated. You can buy virtually the same horns under the Chicago Jazz brand or B&S brand. B&S now makes horns for the Orpheus company under the Chicago Jazz label. This company owns the LA Sax and Vespro brands as well.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.orpheusmusic.com/

#3 ·
I have been wondering too....
Last time I talked with Branford Marsalis, he said that Dave was still in talks to start up his line of saxes again, but with another manufacturer.
Bran didn't say which maker, but that when he heard he would let me know....
Been over a year now and still no word on Guardalas horns.

#5 ·
I emailed a guy on Ebay about 2 months ago saying he was the president of Guardala's company - the auction was for a $1500 guardala bari mouthpiece. I asked if they were gonna start up again, and his answer was, "No, we're too old." I don't know if it was a legitimate business partner, but that's what he said.

#6 ·
There are a couple of Guardala patents registered. Each has two names on them: Dave Guardala and partner Jeff Powell. I think they are both in their mid-40's. Jeff hangs out on the web from time to time at alt.music.saxophone under the name Abbedd and ansermetniac. He was apparently was the CNC programmer and the marketing man and also assisted in some of the mouthpiece designs. Dave did all the final hand finishing.

Jeff has implied a few times they were going to start something up, but it looks like Dave has been the hold out. I read some comments that implied that Dave's fingers/desire are just not up to doing that much hand finishing anymore.

#10 · (Edited)
Bill Mecca said:
Or maybe Dave has just had it with Powell and the ill will he has created, because you know, HE did it all.

Basically they made some poor business decisions and the business is kaput.

And Abbedd's public relations work needs a bit of tweaking :lol:
Bill, for years...I did product consultation-clinics for Guardala.
Dave was a gifted,innovative guy. Who in his teens worked L.I
wedding club date bands and played anchorman bari in big bands local.
There was nothing to do with Powell,at all. :)

In those days Jeff never dealt with the public-he spent ALL DAY behind a lathe or machine. Even on Xmas or Thanksgiving they worked.I 'd get calls from the shop from Dave and they'd be eating pizza making mouthpieces on holidays/Sundays.. :shock: . or taking orders. Jeff never dealt with the public. These guys made a committment to raise the bar in mouthpieces and they DID.

I WAS THERE. Just so folks know.

Dave just hit a emotional turning point. Of couse Guardala STARTED a high end market that went wild as we know. But, Dave had the HANDS. The gift. Plus he knew sound. He knew the difference betweeen a King Curtis sound and a Brecker sound. And could get the imagery, sonically going within the mouthpiece tobe a tool for the artists tastes. ( IF, of couse YOU knew where the tool was to be used )

SO,I know Jeff for years. Lot of stuff went down via lawyers and court
on patents and such. Jeff got /and wasn't always this dark or combative.
Reverse the roles. ;)
Jeff really took a loss.
So did Dave. Look at the results. sad,imho.

If you'd meet Dave in person, and talk to him, you'd enjoy his knowledge and smarts. we used to speak 2-4 times a day. Once in Texas Dave was LATE for a clinic Brecker & I were doing...there was a set of drums on the stage..somehow...we just looked at each other...and Mike went on the drums and we got into a pretty intense sax-drum free-duo thing. Dave comes in, with this LOOK on his face. It was pretty fun. ( Brecker is a guy who could make a living as a drummer.imho )
Those were good times. Dave Guardala knew his stuff and was seriously gifted. The way he used to put Jeff in his place was funnier than anything.
AND~ jEFF LOVED IT. :D ( they were friends too )

Anyhow- just so ya know the facts. :cool:
For years I couldn't say much about it cuz it was such a drag,but I'm ok on it these days. It was upsetting tho' to those of us near Dave G. He was a exceptional dude.Loved by all us.

#12 ·
Bill Mecca said:
Thanks for the insight Tim, I have heard bits and pieces of that before. I understand Dave is gifted/talented.
My pleasure. I think Dave, set a standard. His horns were ALMOST there.
There was a fantastic proto-type tenor...based off a Mk 6 and Super20
King feel. There was tech issues with it...as well as metal issues. IF, that sax woulda hit the streets. WOW. 'Could been great for Dave.

Dave was/is a great great person.A real artist.

#18 ·
Maybe, but if one is talking about doing business with Dave Guardala in the near future and he is turning up at a German music business convention, perhaps that someone should read the post from 2008 that is titled "Guardala Plea Bargain" here in the postings and make an informed decision about doing business with Mr. Guardala. Everyone has hid/her detractors and backers, especially in the business world. That said, I don't know of anyone else making or who had made mouthpieces who has Mr. Guardala's criminal background. That background is relevant here in a forum where people come for advice on business with retailers and makers of saxophone related equipment. My one personal contact with Mr. Guardala was genial. I went out to his Long Island (I believe it was there) business place with another tenor player and he was attentive and knowledgeable, and nice , even though I didn't buy a piece from him. That was the mid-80's. He had some problems regarding his business practices since then that anyone thinking of dealing with him now should look into.

#25 ·
Guardala is my choice for Tenor and Alto..although I admit, when I need to tame it down a bit in a small venue or a section I use my Lakey's. I don't think for sheer POWER mpc's get any better than his..I'd guess he's kickin' it somewhere..anyway, it's still the standard they all measure up to..hope he's OK.

#29 ·
it is funny that he is so well regarded by so many who knew him personally - and I trust Tim Price, of course, who is wise to the ways of the saxophone and jazz world; but I had one conversation with Guardala, on the telephone, probably in the 1980s, and he was one of the nastiest people I ever encountered. I mean, beyond just being pissy or dismissive; I got off the phone (and I had called him because I wanted to make an appointment to try mouthpieces) and was just shocked as it was one of the meanest encounters I have ever (to this day) had in my life. He was contemptuous, really almost vicious in his attitude toward me, as, apparently, someone he had never heard of and who was, thus, unworthy of his time.

#30 ·
I thought he was still in jail. (Not joking...I really thought he got 10-15 years or something).