P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: saxonette anyone?

Default saxonette anyone?

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum. I was wondering whether anyone knew anything about:

a) The Saxonette
    b) The Abbott thingumy of a similar design.

All I have been able to find is 1 site on the saxonette (http://hem.passagen.se/eriahl/saxonette.htm ), and there are some pictures of the Abbott on the saxpics website. I don't think the Abbott counts as a saxonette, as I think it's in Bb. This is no use to me, as I hate transposing, can't do it at all (I have perfect pitch). However, it is interesting anyway. The saxonette of course is in C. The only other example of a saxonette i have seen is on eBay a little while back, which was unfortunately too expensive for me at the time.

So, does anyone know anything else? Thanks in advance,

ukebert
    Last edited by ukebert; 05-20-2005 at 05:35 PM.

I think you're looking at a marketing device.

Saxophone = conical bore. There doesn't seem to be anything mentioned in the link that mentions that the "saxonette" has that.

The keywork "looks" saxophone-ish because it's the Albert fingering system -- most modern clarinets use a Boehm fingering (the sax uses a modified version -- Google 'em). The Albert fingering system was available on standard Bb soprano clarinets, too.

The curved shape is pretty, but probably has some intonation problems.

==========

The Abbott Sax-Clarinet, pictured on my website, is a clarinet modified to use some saxophone fingerings -- it's still got a lot of standard clarinet keywork.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-19-2005 at 11:16 PM.
    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my new blog and gallery! Latest article: 09/24/12.

I'm not really interested in the Saxonette as a sax replacement. If it did sound like a saxophone, it would be amazing, as well as illogical and impossible. However, I am interested in it as an instrument in it's own right. Do you know where the Abbott came from? Is it in Bb? The saxonette on eBay had extended Boehm, not even albert. It would be interesting to try one out, check the intonation. It's basically a tiny basset horn, if you use your imagination. I wonder how they make those curved bits, it would be fun to try and convert a clarinet to that.........

or not. A bit beyond me anyhow!

ukebert
    Last edited by ukebert; 05-20-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukebert
    I'm not really interested in the Saxonette as a sax replacement. If it did sound like a saxophone, it would be amazing, as well as illogical and impossible.
    Correct. Different bore shapes = different sound.

However, I am interested in it as an instrument in it's own right. Do you know where the Abbott came from?
    We came from France. (You might get more info at sneezy.org.)

Is it in Bb?
    The website says the Saxonette pictured there is a C instrument (Google search says that there were Bb ones). The sax-clarinet is probably an Eb instrument. Looks a lot like an alto clarinet to me.

The saxonette on eBay had extended Boehm, not even albert.
    Dunno. Didn't see the one on eBay.

It may very well be that if the "saxonette" is a C tenor instrument -- which it appears -- and that means it's big enough to need the "curves".

It's basically a tiny basset horn, if you use your imagination.
    "Basset horn" means essentially the same thing as "mezzo-soprano saxophone", i.e. nothing. A basset horn is a clarinet in F (or A) with a wider, "more cylrinrical" bore than your Eb alto.

I wonder how they make those curved bits, it would be fun to try and convert a clarinet to that.
    Its not all that difficult. You could make a bass clarinet, for instance, that was completely straight. That's a bit unwieldy. Generally speaking -- and in my experience -- the lowest clarinet that is made as a straight instrument is the basset horn in F -- or, if you prefer, D clarinets.

The more curved the clarinet, generally the worse the intonation. A good example's the "pocket bass" clarinet that's curved to about the same length as a regular Bb clarinet and had atrocious intonation.
    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my new blog and gallery! Latest article: 09/24/12.

I dredged up the URL of the thing on eBay.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7311057133

Aparently it isn't a tenor, but a soprano.

So how would you make the metal bits, I'm intrigued now. Welding, beating, spinning, soldering?

ukebert

Default another saxonette

There's another saxonette on eBay, albert, no case.

here

Actually, looking at it, it looks like a bit of 'mix and match' has gone on. The upper joint looks Boehm to me, and the lower definately albert. Admitadly I don't know much about the different systems, but I think I'm right. It doesn't help of course that the pics are not of brilliant quality. Also, he says that the upper joint is a different colour to the lower joint. hmm....

However, I know little about such things.

The seller says that "It takes a Bb mouthpiece. It plays in tune. Throat Bb is a mite stuffy." This makes it different from the other saxonette, in that that one didn't play in tune with a Bb mouthpiece.

Anyway, what do you all think?

ukebert

Default quinntheeskimo

quinntheeskimo, you purchased the saxonette on eBay in April. How did you find it? Did it play in tune?

Thanks,

ukebert

Musical Instrument Dealer and Connoisseur quinntheeskimo's Avatar

Its pretty cool, but I haven't gotten around to having it repadded yet. I bought it more as a curiousity, but it is on the list for work.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by ukebert
    quinntheeskimo, you purchased the saxonette on eBay in April. How did you find it? Did it play in tune?

Thanks,

ukebert

Default saxonette bell

I've found a saxonette bell, or at least, an upturned metal bell for a Bb clarinet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-PLATED-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quinthesquimo, when you've restored the saxonette I would love to see it.

Default Saxonette

I just saw this discussion and wanted to add a bit more info.

I have a Saxonette I picked up a year ago because I came across a cheap one and was interested in getting a C instrument so I could play with friends without having to think about transposing. After I cleaned it up and repadded it, it's a nice sounding intrument, and certainly distinctive looking. (pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlf/sets/1055018/).

I've been playing it with a normal Bb mouthpiece (a Vandoren B-45) and it's more or less in tune. As far as intonation goes, it certainly takes a bit more attention than a modern bohem, but it can be played in tune once you get used to it.

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Michael

Michael,

[I have a feeling I've already posted this to you on two other forums... :-)]

Have you tried using a C Clarinet mouthpiece? It may be that it will push some of the notes back in tune. I know Morgan makes one, avaliable from Junkdude.

You've done a really nice job on it, well done. I'm a bit envious actually. I assume you payed less for it than the Boehm one went for [£650 ish]

regards,

ukebert
    A long term sufferer of C-Itus