P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smoking & playing sax

Default Smoking & playing sax

How many of you are smoker? Do you think it really harmful on our skill (but many Master player are heavy smoker...)?

I'm a smoker myself.
    Besides the fact that I might get cancer someday, I haven't noticed it affecting my playing.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2008 Hurling Frootmig's Avatar

I would think that it would lower your breath capacity at some point.

What about the pads? What about the PADS???

I've heard that it contributes to pads wearing out quicker.

I would think that the bigger issue is death but that's my two cents.

If I purchased a vintage sax from a smoker I would send it off to my tech for a bath before spending serious time with it in the shed. Again a personal preference.

The only thing that should smoke is your sax.......lol

I smoked pretty heavily up until about two years ago...I definitely noticed a decrease in lung capacity after a point, which contributed to my quitting. I never heard anything about wearing my pads out quicker though...maybe I should take my horn down to the shop again...
    "Peter, this is the worst possible time you could have ever called me! Go away!"

Distinguished SOTW Technician/Forum Sponsor

I used to Smoke and it did affect my playing considerably. In fact, I found that to play Bass and even to some degree Bari effectively, I needed to be in shape to make the phrases I wanted to. I had to quite smoking and start exercising. It's easier to play when you don't smoke, the smoking is just another thing holding the player back.

I used to smoke all the time and I never noticed it effecting my playing. However after I stopped smoking I noticed that I have a lot of backpressure in my mouthpiece that wasn't there before. I suppose it's due to the added breath support I'm capable of now. I'm currently looking for a new mouthpiece that might alleviate some of that pressure.

I´m a smoker (but not proud to be one ).I haven´t noticed any serious negative effects to my playing but the fact that it MIGHT is a good reason to stop smoking.

Two years after I started smoking my lung capacity was cut almost in half. I lost half of my lung capacity. I was unable - and am still today - to put as much air through the horn as I want to.

And I stink.
    Selmer MK VI Tenor 198XXX
    Otto Link 7* HR and/or Metal with Rico #3 reeds
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CamTheCat

I believe that Paul Desmond was a "Master player" and he was a heavy smoker. In his later years he had difficulty with his breath control. Very sad. He died of lung cancer while in his early fifties.

I believe that he was dying during the 25th reunion tour and was constantly running out of breath. It's a mostly avoidable death.

I have no personal gripe against smokers. In fact, their habit and its detrimental effects on the human body keep me in business. However, lets not lose sight of the simple facts: smokers lung functions deteriorate substantially faster than nonsmokers, on average. We all lose puff after about age 23, but smoking is the best way to lose if faster. And 50% of smokers will die of a smoking related disease. There is a good reason that insurance companies load your insurance premiums!. The only good news is that whenever you stop you are likely to see some benefit.

Anything that works against your breathing and your health is bad for sax playing. If that is enough of a reason to make you quit smoking, then that's great.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I've played the horns over 50 years now and have smoked 40 of those years. I have no smoking related issues with blowing the horns. I believe that smoking should be mandatory and introduced at an early age the philosophy being that something's gonna kill you sooner or later so you may as well enjoy yourself. Personal observation proves to me that the propaganda generated by the anti-smoking folks is not true. Far more people smoke than do not. Tobacco is a huge generator of revenue for most governments and it would be unpatriotic to quit and the thought that my contributions to society,through taxes on tobacco, is a truely unselfish sacrifice gladly made for the betterment of my fellow man. Smoke often and heavily!

Those have got to be some of the most ludicrous statements I believe I've ever read...

He can't be serious.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Dude's in denial - hey Thomas, smoke all you want - your choice - but you can't argue with science

Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke. Bootman's Avatar

You guys forget the innevitable statement about death that Thomas made, we will all die one day. This is a given fact. Most players I know smoke. I wish I could quit but it seems to go hand in hand with an addictive personality.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast