Sax on the Web Forum banner

Felt pad fell off Middle C Key

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Gordon (NZ) 
#1 ·
Hi all, so in the midst of my practicing something weird happened, my Bottom 3 notes (F, F#, and E) all started cracking for some strange reason. I immediately stopped playing and tried to figure out the problem and I found the felt under my C key fell off. I'm pretty sure it's the problem because if I don't keep it under and take it off all of those notes sound really stuffy or crack and when I out it back just to be held there everything sounds normal. Is there a quick fix for this?? I really don't want to drive out to my repair guy just for this.

#4 ·
When some bumper like that falls off, just stick it back on. If the piece that falls off is torn or worn out, then just find something else around the house to substitute for it and stick that on instead. I've done that lots of times because on most old horns it doesn't matter what the thing looks like because it is not really seen anyway.

If all it does is act as a bumper, a piece of foam rubber from something as common as Dr. Scholl's bunion cushions is just as functional as a real felt. Cut anything like that to the right shape and glue it on. When a cork bumper on the foot of a palm key falls off just cut a small piece of thick mpc cushion and adhere it on the horn with its own self-stick glue. To get the right opening height of the key you may need to use a double layer. Works perfectly and nobody can see it, especially if it is the clear type. My Martin has a couple of those.

The main point is that I'm not going to run up and bug my tech for something that minor that is really a DIY fix.

#5 ·
When some bumper like that falls off, just stick it back on. If the piece that falls off is torn or worn out, then just find something else around the house to substitute for it and stick that on instead. I've done that lots of times because on most old horns it doesn't matter what the thing looks like because it is not really seen anyway.

If all it does is act as a bumper, a piece of foam rubber from something as common as Dr. Scholl's bunion cushions is just as functional as a real felt. Cut anything like that to the right shape and glue it on. When a cork bumper on the foot of a palm key falls off just cut a small piece of thick mpc cushion and adhere it on the horn with its own self-stick glue. To get the right opening height of the key you may need to use a double layer. Works perfectly and nobody can see it, especially if it is the clear type. My Martin has a couple of those.

The main point is that I'm not going to run up and bug my tech for something that minor that is really a DIY fix.
Thanks should I use neoprene glue or is there some sort of alternative also

#7 ·
Yes, if the felt is still good of course use it. But if it is torn or funky find something else. Hardware stores have all sorts of round felts for the bottom of chair legs and they are usually self stick on. Often the diameter is really close to the sax felt.

The glue I use is a contact cement that my tech uses. I don't know the brand name though.

#8 ·
Yes, if the felt is still good of course use it. But if it is torn or funky fond something else. Hardware stores have all sorts of round felts for the bottom of chair legs and they are usually self stick on. Often the diameter is really close to the sax felt.

The glue I use is a contact cement that my tech uses. I don't know the brand name though.
Yes, but for the felt below the C/A key (which actions the Bb bis key when you press this key) the thickness must be just so. Too thick and A dosn't close; too thin and Bb bis doesn't close.
Music Medic's contact cement seems to me to be a neoprene glue with more solvant (making it thinner than a standard neoprene glue).

#14 ·
Any glue that soaks into the felt is not ideal. And that includes low viscosity contact glues.

Before I use a sheet of felt I seal the entire sheet with a "thixotropic" contact glue (in my case Ados F3), which is more like margarine in texture. I can spread it thinly with a knife with insignificant soak-in.
After it has dried I can use a decent contact cement (in my case Evostik) without it soaking in.

BTW, for products with self-adhesive backing, there is a high likelihood that they will eventually "creep" off the key if the piece used is of only a few square mm surface area.

#15 ·
Any glue that soaks into the felt is not ideal. And that includes low viscosity contact glues.

Before I use a sheet of felt I seal the entire sheet with a "thixotropic" contact glue (in my case Ados F3), which is more like margarine in texture. I can spread it thinly with a knife with insignificant soak-in.
After it has dried I can use a decent contact cement (in my case Evostik) without it soaking in.

BTW, for products with self-adhesive backing, there is a high likelihood that they will eventually "creep" off the key if the piece used is of only a few square mm surface area.

Another reason for not using superglue is that if there is any overflow onto lacquer, goodbye to finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.