P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Conn Tenor?

Distinguished SOTW Member

yes one is American and the other french and a few thou dollars more
    Dave

thanks
    Actually I dont know the details about vintage conn and mark 6.
    Many people say that both of them sound so good.
    However, mark 6 is more expensive than Conn.
    Don't know why??
    Last edited by lamgigi77; 06-30-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Distinguished SOTW Member OnyxSax's Avatar

The Mark VI is a generation newer in design than the 10M. The 10M was a design from the early 1930s, the Mark VI was designed in the early 50s, utilizing lessons learned from previous saxophone designes.

The Mark VI is a more ergonomic horn, the mechanicals work better, the intonation is better, it accepts almost any mouthpiece you can dream of, it's built like a battleship and can play well even with multiple pad leaks, tone wise it has a very tight, focused sound. There are many horns that are superior in one aspect or another over a Mark VI. No horn, though, can do everything as well as the Mark VI does. Between that and the name the horn has made for itself, the demand is always strong, while the supply is limited, since the last Mark VI was made 30 years ago. Simple economics dictates that when demand is strong and supply is limited, the price will go up.

So, with all of that going for the Mark VI, why would one even consider a 10M? The answer is the tone. A well-set up 10M has a sound like no other saxophone out there. The 10M does have its drawbacks, but the pursuit of that distinctive Conn sound is a trade off that many players are willing to accept. I don't know if 10Ms are any more plentiful than Mark VIs (my inclination is that there are definitely more 10Ms out there), but the demand is not as high, so the prices aren't going to be as high. However, the word is getting out on these horns and their prices are heading into the statosphere, too. A mint-condition 1930s era 10M can run you over $3,000. This was absolutely unheard of even as recently as three or four years ago.

The mid-50s 10Ms (without rolled tone holes) are not a bad alternative as they tend to be less in demand, but they'll still give you that distinctive Conn sound. I have a 1952 10M. It's a blast to play.
    Ask me about my Vintage Conns and Bueschers!

I picked up a 10M in london for £1100 (although it had been entirely overhauled and repadded so it seemed reasonable to me) - there's a chuberry going for £1600 at the same shop at the minute. The 10M's a great horn and i thought it ripped the selmers, yanis and yamahas that were selling for considerably more. The only thing is i'm not sure it is a 10m - its a serial 259xxx (which is circa '32 i think). It does have a ladyface on the bell but does that necessarily equate it with being 10m? I'm sure one of you conn buffs can fill me in. Either way i'm still gonna love playing it but a little knowledege about my instrument is all i'm after.

thanks guys (n gals)

259K is 1933 and is a conn transitional not a 10m but a late chu berry.
    Is it a split bell or same sided?
    The sam sided bell keyed chu's are worth more then the 10M and are superb horns
    Dave

thanks dave - its a split bell - i guess the one the shop is selling now is same sided - worth checking out do you think?

Chu's are superb horns and very mpc friendly. I bought my tenor from USA ebay and with postage etc to UK it was around $600 and the only work i done on it was a bit of corking here and there.
    Dave

sorry dave is that $600 including the horn and postage? That seems like a real bargain if it was.

Yes $600 including postage and i got a new wonder 2 138K for around $400 including postage but my best one was a 1940 aristocrat tenor in near mint condition for$440 with $100 postage but had to pay £70 customs duty. Still a real bargain
    Dave

flipping heck so that 1100 i paid for my 10m/late chu/whatever is looking steep

i did do a little research on the web before i forked out but the prices varied wildly so i assumed that it depended on the condition and this seemed like a good example

may be i should have held off a bit

cheers

You paid a fair price especially for a transitional model. My horns came from ebay USA and i chose them with a bit of skill and luck also i am a tech so i can do my own repairs as needed. The buescher aristocrat was advertised as a wurlitzer tenor with only one bad picture but i knew only a true buescher has a pearl aux F# key and all buescher stencils (wurlitzer included) just have a bar. It was in a wurlitzer 3 pack case.
    So luck and a bit of skill and sellers without knowledge all help but its still a gamble
    Dave

yeah i hear what you're saying dave. i'm really not a tech so i thought it was a fair deal to get one from a shop who's techs i trust (howarths). if you've got the knowledge the gamble can pay off, otherwise....well.

nonetheless i am baffled by the seemingly wide spread of prices for similar models of conn - right after i posted my last comment i had a look on ebay (uk) and saw two 50's 10ms - one with a starting price of £400 (and no bids) the other with one of £1250 and a buyitnow of 1450. now i know these figures can't entirely be trusted because the bidding hasn't finished (and ebay is like the wild west) but i've seen a large difference in prices before. is this because there are a large of number of horns of varying age and cond. out there or i am just looking in the wrong places.

nice one

Got my 239xxx art-deco for 500$ on ebay in germany.
    Things happen.....
    And for this topic: it plays great. Better than every Conn I ever had.
    Good luck for everyone....

It all depends on year, condition etc and more then 1 bidder.
    Dave

Default Hi Conn Collector

I own a C.G. Conn Elkhart Indiana Tenor 10m with the serial # 536074. From what I have learned, this Sax was made in approx 1955/1956. Do you agree??
    There is also a woman engraved on the bell area. It's in excellent condition & comes with the original case. Any idea of the value??

Kazeequeen1

Distinguished SOTW Member OnyxSax's Avatar

What kind of finish is the horn? I'd put my guess around the $1200 - $1500 range. I've been out of the market for a while though...
    Ask me about my Vintage Conns and Bueschers!

I doubt you would get $1200-1500 unless its a private sale. On ebay it would get around $750-$900.
    Dave

Default Conn 10M or others with silver keys??

What is thought of silver keys on Conn's?? I am a little prejudical about them since they are associated with student horns .. ok Nogales horns .. not good but the others?? Late model Conns?? Some are 10Ms or 16Ms

Frz
    http://ecommons.net/~frax/sax/ old website up for renewal
    http://fraser-sax.blogspot.ca/ NEWS from the Rescue Sax Workshop
    416 994 7110 --- leave a text or voice message I will call you back at my expense, no problem !

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

A friend of mine has a Conn Tenor with an M10 or M30 (I don't remember exactly), painted on the bell right underneath the Conn logo. But there is a series number near the thumb rest beginning with the words UT. What does UT stand for?

Thanks.

Yellowhornblower
    YCL-475, YSS-475

I'm getting a lot of positive comments about my 10M sound from Mark VI players. Sometimes even a blind squirel finds a nut.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast