Sax on the Web Forum banner

Having problems with my first Legere reed

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Robert Gray 
#1 ·
Greetings and thank you for accommodating beginners!

Posted edited for brevity:

Reading threads here regarding Legere reeds, I find that they're supposed to be thicker/harder than similarly labeled other reeds, that one should move down somewhat from what one is used to. I tried a Legere Studio Cut 2.5 after playing Fibracell 2's and the Legere doesn't last...at first it lasted an hour, now only half that. The Legere requires more air pressure and seems softer, not thicker, and it locks up like old worn-out reeds. I'm using an Otto Link STM 7*.

Am I fooling myself?
Regards,
RG

#2 ·
Reading threads here regarding Legere reeds, I find that they're supposed to be thicker/harder than similarly labeled other reeds, that one should move down somewhat from what one is used to.
That's not correct. There is no single rule for Legere reeds. There are three different kinds -- Classic (regular), Studio Cut, and Signature -- and they all have different strength tendencies. Moreover, even within a single line, reeds for different horns vary. That is, a Legere Signature Alto 2.5 is not the same hardness as a Legere Signature Soprano 2.5.

At this point, all you've really learned is that the Legere Studio Cut 2.5 for the horn you happen to be playing is too soft for you. Your best bet is to review the Legere strength chart and use it as a rough guide, then apply trial and error. Legere allows you to exchange a reed for one of a different strength (http://www.legere.com/exchange-policy-–-united-states-only), which should help you.

#3 ·
Thank you LostConn! I think I'll take them up on the swap offer, perhaps for a 3.5. The Legere strength chart I saw in this link didn't have Studio Cuts in particular, just plain "Legere Reeds" and "Signature Series." My week-old 2.5 is even softer than an old but seldom-played Fibracell 1.5 I've got. I think I'll try a a 3.5.

Thanks again!
-RG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.