Sax on the Web Forum banner

Soft Reeds - I guess I'm getting older :)

5K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Tommyk 
#1 ·
So there was a day that I was playing Medium Hard reeds on wide open mouthpieces - "Grippin' and Rippin". But after my recent back surgery and a chronic neck issue probably related to the freakin' neck strap, my reeds get softer and softer. (Please no ****** jokes - unless their funny.) I play every day so it's not a practice thing, and I'm not interested in playing harder reeds but soon I'll be cutting reed shapes out of paper and using those. :)

I know this is a personal question - but anyone else going soft these days. :)

#6 ·
Yes, I moved to softer reeds quite a while ago. I used to play 4 on wide tipped alto, now play 2 or 2.25 happily.

As I always say, it's not easier to play soft reeds, it's actually more difficult as you need really good air support and embouchure to get the flexibility of tone and dynamics, especially high up.

So I have worked very hard to be able to play soft reeds, but IMO the work pays off.

#7 ·
I started out on softer reeds when I took up the saxophone, so I'm holding steady with 2.5's or 3's depending on the sax.
Clarinet.... I went to a mouthpiece with a slightly more open tip so reed strength might drop by .5 depending on the situation. They're still a 3-3.5 so not especially 'soft'.

#8 · (Edited)
I started alto sax using Rico Royal 2's and a narrow tip mouthpiece. Now my alto reeds are RJS 2M, but I'm using a much more open tip.

But I digress, I'm trying to focus on the tenor...it's all that matters. I'm using RJS 3S's right now....thinking about going to 3M's on the Lamberson. I'm happy enough using 3S on the Ben Allen though.

It's all about matching reeds with the mouthpiece.

#9 ·
I prefer Alexander Superial and Vandoren ZZ on soprano. I start with a #2, then adjust it down a bit depending on the individual reed. I'm guessing that by the time I'm happy with a #2, it is probably equal to 1.75 or so. Joe Giuardullo once sent me a Marca 1 1/2 and it played good for me but I haven't seen that brand since.

On alto and clarinet, basically the same, when I use cane reeds. But on those horns I've also used Fibracell Premieres at 1 1/2, but it depends on the mouthpiece. DAVE

#10 ·
The older I get, the smarter I play. Totally agree with Pete. No need to blow a gasket with hard reeds to get a good sound.

#19 ·
I shifted from La Voz medium on very open mouthpieces (10* or bigger) to Plasticovers 2 last year. Still having some difficulties with intonation, so I'm thinking to go up a bit again (but not harder then a 3 reed). I hardly have practise time and don't play a lot, that's another cause for getting things under controle.

#21 ·
I shifted from La Voz medium on very open mouthpieces (10* or bigger) to Plasticovers 2 last year. Still having some difficulties with intonation, so I'm thinking to go up a bit again (but not harder then a 3 reed).
Can you describe exactly? I'm using the same but more in the "9" range, and haven't noticed any problem, but now you have me worried. I don't practice as much as I should either, to be sure, but I think my natural tendencies might be relatively relaxed since I started with larger saxophones.

#22 ·
That's too easy WSR, IMO it depends strongly on reed, mouthpiece and player combination :).

I sound louder on a big tip/soft reed combination then on a small tip/hard reed combination. When using the same mpc it's about finding the best reed strength that still performs well for you on that mpc. A too hard reed will sound stuffy and not loud at all, a too soft reed will close down to easily and give too much buzz. It's all about finding the perfect match of reed and mouthpiece that works for you, not only about a soft or hard reed.

I once made a comparison clip playing five metal Otto Link EB's (tips 8, 8*, 10, 10* and 12) and one Florida Link 10* (solo's are in that sequence) using the same La Voz medium reed. You can hear in that clip that the reed sounds a bit stuffy on the EB 10* and 12, but those mpc's can scream with a slightly softer reed. It's all about the combination reed/mpc/player!

- 'Just Friends' (five EB's - one Florida no USA - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12461842

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.