P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Need a good, full, well-rounded description of different saxes: experts?

Question Need a good, full, well-rounded description of different saxes: experts?

I am a beginner trying to get into playing the sax and have been searching threads tirelessly for info and advice on Altos and Tenors. I am trying to decide which I should start off on. I've heard so much conflicting info on what's easier, what's different, etc. So... What is the better type for a beginner? Why is it better? What is easier and why? What is more popular and in what type of situations is each type played? I just need some good all around information on which is better for a beginner to take up and why.... Can someone please give me some good advice? Thanks.

Motocrosser eh?

There is no right answer to this. Most people start on alto because they are generally easier to find used and don't require large lung capacity. Tenor would be next most popular, slightly larger horn but no reason that an average person couldn't learn on it (I am). Soprano is apparantly tough to learn (hard to get proper intonation) and isn't generally recommended as a first horn, but people have learned on it, let alone the fact that they are generally more expensive. Baritone would be the most expensive to buy of the common saxophones so isn't generally used as a first horn.

I made the choice to start with tenor because I preferred the sound of tenor over any of the other horns. That's where I would start is figuring out what you want to sound like then see if it's practical.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Learning tenor or alto makes litte difference unless your a small child...then the size of the tenor can be a bit of a challenge. Choose what you like... the sound that led to your desire to play. When you know what sound you want to someday make (tenor vs alto), come back with a budget in mind and there will be plenty of excellent advice to be had. Welcome to the wonderful world of sax. (looks like Cleger and I posted at the same time lol)

Default sources for sounds?

Sounds good, can anyone recommend two online sources... 1 good example of an alto sound (song, solo, jam) and a good example of the sound of a tenor? Thanks

Forum Contributor 2013

That wont do it, go to the library and get some cds of tenor and alto players. Should be plenty in the Jazz section, spend some time there. This decision requires more consideration than a sound bite. Especially if you are at all serious about this pursuit.

Tenor:

Dexter Gordon
    Sonny Rollins
    John Coltrane (most of the time tenor)
    Stan Getz
    Gene Amons
    Bob Berg
    Michael Brecker
    ...and a whole bunch more

Alto:
    Charlie Parker (of course)
    Paul Desmond (Brubecks band most the time)
    Cannonball Adderly

James Carter plays both as a lot do.

Alto players ...help me out...I cant think of others off hand (sorry)

You can also check the page on this site where players post samples.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451
    Alto players ...help me out...I cant think of others off hand
    Art Pepper
    Kenny Garrett
    Benny Carter
    Ornette Coleman
    Phil Woods
    David Sandborn
    Arno Bornkamp
    John Sampen
    Donald Sinta

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Alto = Johnny Hodges

Tenor = Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster

Soprano = Sidney Bechet, Bob Wilbur, Johnny Hodges

These guys play something even non-jazzers may appreciate (not that others can't/didn't, but I personally find most modern jazzers to be unlistenable; don't bag on me - it is my opinion). DAVE
    Dave

A nice online ressource to the different sounds:

Saxophone Sounds
    (It's in German, but should be no problem.)

Gretings
    Flower Power

My suggested listenings, and sorry if I repeat anyone as I know I will be in some cases Some are just too obvious..

Alto:
    Greg Osby
    Phil Woods
    Kenny Garrett
    Steve Coleman
    Art Pepper
    Charlier Parker

Tenor:
    Joe Lovano
    Michael Brecker
    Sonny Rollins
    Wayne Shorter