Sax on the Web Forum banner

Choosing between Berklee and New School. Help!

8K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  NeilC 
#1 ·
Hey Im Chris, Im a senior in high school, and I play the baritone saxophone. I applied to Berklee and New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music. I did really well in my Berklee audition and they gave me a full tuition scholarship and they nominated me for a presidential (i have to submit extra materials and then they will award only 5 in the United States. Wish me luck!). My New School audition SUCKED. I was just crazy nervous because at the time, I really wanted to go there. I just wasn't comfortable and I did not play well. I got in to New School with 15% scholarship and I told them I got a full to Berklee so they increased it to 35%. Still not a full tuition and possibly presidential! I can't decide where to go. Many people tell me to go both places. And honestly I don't have any preference in terms of boston vs new york because I don't know what will be better. New York is New York! But Berklee is huge so that also has lots of benefits in terms of connections and the competition should drive me to practice more. Alright, well this post is getting pretty long so if you have any additional questions, just ask :)

#3 ·
Go where it costs you the least because you will have to deal with paying back all the money once you finish school . berklee probably has a better reputation but that doesn't mean you will succeed the music business is tough so you need to figure that out . I decided to double major Iam glad I did :)

#4 ·
Berklee is huge so that also has lots of benefits in terms of connections and the competition should drive me to practice more.
I would give this a LOT of weight. Don't be complacent with thinking that the degree is the end point. Far from it. A degree is just the stepping off point.

Why is/was New School the one that you "really" wanted to attend?

#5 ·
I'm a university professor (not in the music field), and one thing I advise prospective students is that most of the experience you will have at university comes from you not the school. It's what you put into it. Great musicians have come out of many "lesser" music schools - or no music school at all. So regarding where you will have a better learning experience, it really does not matter as long as both provide you with adequate opportunity to grow. Now, if there are one or two particular people you really hope to study with at one of the schools, then that might sway you. Or if you have a strong geographical preference. But if I were me (and occasionally I am), I would take the Berklee scholarship, as money will be one less (huge) distraction, freeing you a bit more to focus on making music. Berklee is a great school, and Boston a great town (but living here, I am of course biased).

#6 ·
It's all about practice and focus - having to pay a tuition bill would really be a distraction. Take the Berklee money and get to work. Have ZERO debt after college will really open up your job openings allow you to take internships or low paying but great experience jobs without the pressure to pay of student loans.

#7 ·
Go to Berklee for free, have an opportunity to study with George Garzone, and get connected to the best young players in the world? Sounds like a no brainier to me.

You might feel hung up in the New School because thet didn't see what you can really do. You obviously play your *** off and it probably drives you crazy having them not know how burning you are, but everything happens for a reason. Roll with it and don't look back.:)

#8 ·
Berklee sounds like the best option from what you've shared, and I agree with dogster about a double major. I had a full scholarship to a jazz program in Florida (Univ. of N. Florida- Rich Matteson of N. Texas started it). I attended for one year but gave it up- I regret it very much.

I ended up pretty much dropping music (except kept playing in bands and studying on my own, just stopped formal study) and got a master's degree in clinical social work to pay the bills, and have worked in private practice, forensic, medical, etc . I wish I would have double majored and continued studying music and wish I really would have worked on my playing at that time. Yet, my "day gig" has meant stability which ended up being crucial for my life situation. I had student loans from 1991 I JUST paid off last year, so it would be wise for you to really think about that.

I think my work has actually enhanced my playing- even though I haven't spent 18 hours a day in a practice room- more like a few hours a week. My time over my adult life has largely been doing things like working in emergency rooms at 3 a.m.The goal of any art is to convey emotion, and I've been privy to lifetimes of it, so I've been thinking a lot about that lately- kind of philosophical I guess- questioning the road you took- and you're wondering which road you should take. It really can change the course of your life- it's good you're taking it so seriously.

Boston is awesome by the way.

#9 ·
You shouldn't take the money aspect out of the equation as it is one of many important aspects that needs to be considered. In my opinion, attending Berklee on full scholarship would be the better bet. That way, should you decide to go for a masters or, maybe even a different degree later in life, you won't have to worry about any previous student loans. The full scholarship is a great opportunity, why not take advantage of it.

As another poster mentioned regarding making connections at Berklee, do not underestimate the importance of this. Yes, it is important to practice and learn as much as possible. It is also very important to get out and meet people. Make friends with as many people as possible. Take the time to get to know other people. It is the people that you will be meeting and making friends with that may very well be some of the same people who help you achieve other goals later on in your life.

#10 ·
Go with Berklee.

IMO, there's a wider range of competencies of the teachers there, effective and ineffective, as contrasted with New School. I think just about every teacher at New School is a monster. I also think that the creative level is on a higher level at New School. But that doesn't mean that Berklee is any slouch.

If I were going to Berklee, what I'd be going for is access to some major league studio equipment. They really have some amazing facilities and equipment. You can get as good instrumental instruction at either school, it's just that Berklee is so big, you could be getting stuck in the same situation many find themselves when they enter state programs that are big - you wind up with the equivalent of graduate students than full-fledged faculty members.

Tuition is nothing to sneeze at. Go for the fully-funded education. That's a rarity and you should take full advantage of that. Additionally, should you decide to continue your education with a master's degree, you won't already have massive debt like an albatross around your neck. I was lucky in that I finished both my bachelor's and master's debt free, but my doctorate took ten solid years to pay off, and that was a pain in the butt.

I have had summer workshops with both Berklee and New School programs. My impression was that Berklee was a bit less organized and professional in the way it administered things. New School was hard-core professional in everything they did and in the way they did it.

#12 ·
Take the full scholarship (congratulations!) and make the most of it. Not having finances nagging at you is one less stress in place while you study. Less student loan debt upon graduation is a huge plus and will give you flexibility down the road. Don’t forget you can always get down to NYC during semester breaks (or weekends) to check out the scene there ( the scholarship may help free up some of your $ for this).
Good luck and all the best.
A

#13 ·
I googled this guy's name. You can view his audition videos on YouTube. My phone is too slow to see them.
It sounds to me like you wanted to be in New York. I would have advised you to audition in at least three new York schools.
Berklee is a great school for the upper level players. I would say go there and reapply for schools if you are very unhappy.
Maybe add manhatten and NEC to your list.

#14 ·
Dude, literally the exact same thing happened to me. My new school aud was bad, but I got accepted. My Berklee audition was amazing and I also got the full tuition and pres nomination. I went with Berklee and it's great not only financially, but the teachers, atmosphere, players, everything, is amazing. and new york is a megabus trip away! I know so many kids who still get involved in the ny scene a few times a month while still going to Berklee. Plus, why pay more? Honestly NY is so expensive to just live there but in addition to paying partially for school, that would be insane. Unless you have the means. But we have incredible teachers at Berklee as im sure you know and I say, go there. You can still go to the new school for grad!! :)

#15 ·
I would choose Berklee. Not just are they helping you financially but the teachers are amazing! Someone already mentioned George Garzone but you also have Bill Pierce, Shannon Leclair, Jeff Harrington, and more. All the guys onn the woodwind faculty are pretty much bonafide beast! plus Berklee has alot more opportunities for ensembles, bands (outside of school), classes and etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.