Sax on the Web Forum banner

Ever need to take a break for Mental Refocus?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Saxy in San Diego 
#1 ·
The last few years I've been hitting clarinet really hard and putting the saxophone on the back burner. Decided a couple months ago to rotate Oboe and that's improved tremendously. Then I though I should revisit flute as that really was my main double for many years. This week I was able to hear the Capitol Quarter (Saxophone Quartet) and those guys (and new female bari player) are really 'killin' it. I also was able to spend some time talking with the players and finally meet Joe Lulloff.

Hearing players at this level playing really intense quartet music makes me feel like I've lost my way and had I just spent all those years screwing around with equipment and various instruments I could have reached this level of performance. I tried practicing tonight but nothing felt right so maybe I need a break to re-group. Perhaps it's a late mid-life musical crisis. What am I trying to do? Why am I practicing? Why do I crave Junk Food? :)

Anyone been there.

#4 ·
I stopped the wedding thing a couple years ago due to physical issues. Play legit clarinet with the teachers wind ensemble in Syracuse and have the occasional sub-gig. Haven't been out regular since my back operation (L2-L5 Fusion). Maybe I just need to get off the bench.

#6 ·
You're playing legit music on clarinet, so don't be too hard on yourself. If you want good sax, you just have to surround yourself with more sax.
You know already you have to just push through the first few awkward practices with your sax until you remember what you need to do. Don't lament wasted time of the past!
Enjoy your next saxophone practice!

#7 ·
I had to accept that my level of playing 'is what it is'.
Time in the shed cleans up some things but isn't enough to keep me up to snuff.
If it weren't for my community band and occaisional pit opportunities I wouldn't have the incentive to continue improving.

#8 ·
Dear A Greene,

I have been there a few times and, for me, taking a total break from playing sax for a 2-3 weeks has worked wonders. During these sax playing breaks I listened to other live players as much as possible and felt totally renewed when I resumed playing. Will that work for you? You won't know until you try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.