Sax on the Web Forum banner

Joel Fraham saw this and it made him feel like he needed to shed... just sayin

9K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  Ballad state of mind 
#1 ·
The meanest, baddest tenor playing I have seen in quite some time. The last time a recording knocked me out like this was Chris Potter's All The Things solo. Tucker Antell, ladies and gents.

#2 ·
Tucker's a badass alright. Saw him at the Ted Klum hang at the Boston sax Shop last year, I'm pretty sure he was playing on one of ted's HR pieces. Obviously he's a badass though, "it's the indian, not the arrow"

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing, great stuff!

#6 ·
In no way was I prepared for what I heard when I met Tucker as he was here trying horns. He purchased a monster 10m from me that Jason Dumarrs had done some really nice extra engraving too. I can't tell what he was using in the video. A great cat and obviously a tremendous player.

#13 ·
Haha Tucker's my teacher. I actually took that video.

Also, I think the drummer was very good at fitting into the style. If you've never heard the BT/ALC Big Band before, they don't really play straight ahead jazz. It's pretty much all funk.

And Mark, the people that were eating there enjoyed it a lot. The people sitting at the table next to me weren't there for the music, and when Tucker started playing this solo, they started to get really into it.

#16 ·
The tenor player is phenomenal. It's not an easy thing to play with that intensity and be able to not only keep the intensity up, but actually 'raise the bandstand'. For those of you that didn't like the drummer, I suspect that you didn't listen to the whole clip. He started out simply, and through the four minutes helped increase the intensity. While his beat was not completely steady during the bar, the 1 was always there.

#27 ·
It's very cool but I agree with an earlier post. It seems like he's overplaying the room. I can't imagine dropping in for a after work drink and being pummeled by his playing. Still very impressive. Of course, I really don't know the context of this performance and it was a phone type video.

#34 ·
I couldnt quite make it through the whole thing. More angst than I could handle but He does have amazing chops for sure.

To me it was kinda how many wAys can He say the same thing. I prefer a little variety I guess.

#36 ·
I just watched the whole clip, loved the whole thing. Not my usual thing, but I really enjoyed it and would happily hang out for an hour or two listening to him play, enjoying the music and not "studying him" or watching for "sax clinic" reasons.

As for the drummer, he had his diversions but always returned to the beat, go back and listen again and follow your own beat while he fits in his own fills for a few measures. And I don't think the sax player had any trouble at all keeping time during those "diversions"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.