Sax on the Web Forum banner

HR Berg off Ebay

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Guto 
#1 ·
I picked up a current production HR Berg with a Brian Powell reface for 200 bucks. It's a 110 and the work is so clean. I'm really impressed with his work and it plays very easy and with good intonation. Problem is the stock Berg lig is awful. It would be ok if the screws had flat heads instead of those cylindrical heads. I can't get the lig tight enough to hold the reed.

Any recommendations for a lig for this piece? Also not interested in a Rovner.

#5 ·
Nope. Not available anymore. I've been trying to find an alto one.

#12 ·
The M/O is a little too small for my Berg. I have to open it up all the way and then it doesn't quite go all the way on. I did play around with the stock lig last night. I put it on an old plastic no name tenor mpc. Then replaced the cylindrical screws with flat head screws from another lig. Got a pair of pliers and tightened it down. Then loosened it and slid it further down the mpc and retighten. Eventually it fit the tenor piece so when I put it on the Berg it fit good. Could even tighten it properly so for now I'm gonna use it.

#17 ·
It's all about the fun of searching for a needle in the haystack that would have a decent facing and play well as manufactured. As you know, some SS were hand finished at the factory and have a higher chance of being great players... Admittedly an expensive treasure hunt hobby :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.