Sax on the Web Forum banner

Breath support and coffee

6K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  Jazz Is All 
#1 ·
I had an experience I'd like to share.

I like a good cup of coffee, but I try not to drink too much of it for several reasons. But now and then there are periods during which I drink more coffee than usual. (still not much compared to the standard of many people.)

Normally I have a pretty good breath control when it comes to blowing steady long notes, but when I drink more coffee this abillity severly suffers. I just can't seem to breathe nice and low from the abdomen, but the breath gets somewhat shaky and comes much more from the chest.
Maybe it's a strange experience to share here, and it can very well be that I am somewhat overly sensitive to the effects of cafeine, but I thought I'd share it anyway :)

#5 ·
I'd probably have to drink 3 or 4 double espressos, which I wouldn't do, to get to the point where I'd experience anything that might effect my playing (probably have the shakes). I've never noticed any effect on my breathing, though. I have 2 strong cups of coffee a day, one in the morning & one in the afternoon, like clockwork.

#7 ·
I average 2 pots of STRONG coffee every day.
No problems with taking deep breaths, the shakies, or getting to sleep. I metabolize caffein very quickly.
BTW... Coffee is a broncodialator so in reality you should be able to breath better after consuming a cup or few.

#14 ·
Yep...you got that!! I love my morning espresso au lait that I have a second one right after it. I can live without it, but it's one of the few pleasures I have since I can't drink alcohol and thus beer and wine have been lost to me as pleasures. I love the taste of good coffee and the caffein makes me feel good.

#18 ·
It seems like many people on here are caffeine junkies :)

I roast my own coffee beans and I don't even drink coffee every day, sometimes I go a week or two without it. Under normal circumstances, caffeine is a stimulant that opens airways, increases blood flow, acts as a diuretic, and improves focus in many.

Some of the side effects are shakiness/ jitters, anxiety, (ironically) lack of focus, dehydration, and increased perspiration among many others. On the flip side, If you add in irritability, constipation, and depression: these are also the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal. Addiction is fun stuff :)

Here's a thought: I have a bit of a caffeine buzz right now, and while I seem to be having no problem keeping a steady stream of supported air going; I find that the jittery feeling makes my embouchure and jaw feel slightly less coordinated. Knowing what I know about muscles and exercise physiology (a lot), I would be more inclined to think you might be mistaking weakened breath support (assuming yours is usually a non-issue) for a slight decrease in the fine motor skills it takes to maintain your embouchure and oral cavity...Your diaphragm, chest wall, and abdominal muscles are far to large to be bothered by caffeine unless you're very malnourished.

I guess that's the long-winded...roasted yesterday, french-pressed ten minutes ago, fair trade organic El Salvadorian Majuhal, first cup in a week...way of saying that yes, caffeine could absolutely cause you to have an experience like this. Eat something. It will raise your blood sugar, and give your body something else to work with.

#24 ·
I agree, it could have something to do with acidity. Try an Indonesian coffee, these are low in acidity. Something like Sumatra or Java. Single origin stuff too, not that junk that sits on the shelf for weeks and months, find someone who will roast it fresh for you. This will solve all your breathing problems and will be a better cup of coffee too!

#21 ·
In the mountain biking world, its advised not to drink coffee at least 2 hrs before a hard ride, coz it'll cause your heart to beat faster than normal specially under duress, and on a long hard climb its all about pacing, and pacing is good cadence in rhythm with your breathing, and usually your breathing will be out of whack when your heart beats like crazy.
Maybe thats whats happening to you, your hearts palpitate a little faster and short circuits the chest and abdomen connection, causing your chest to catch up with a few gasp.

edited to add:
Im a coffee junkie too, but controlled breathing helps whenever Im gasping for dear life on my bike rides. Time your breathing, maybe play a beat in your head for rhythm, then every 4-5 cycle, let out a big exhale.

#22 ·
Normally I have a pretty good breath control when it comes to blowing steady long notes, but when I drink more coffee this abillity severly suffers. I just can't seem to breathe nice and low from the abdomen, but the breath gets somewhat shaky and comes much more from the chest.
Maybe it's a strange experience to share here, and it can very well be that I am somewhat overly sensitive to the effects of cafeine, but I thought I'd share it anyway :)
It sounds like gastric (stomach) distention with possible reflux, from the more than the usual amount of coffee you took, which in turn may be restricting the abdominal / diaphragmatic breathing.

#23 ·
How long has it been since you learned to breathe from the abdomen? It sounds to me like you might just be getting distracted and are recalling old habits.

#26 ·
I (really) love coffee, but I had to stop drinking it, as it was giving me heartburn.

I switched to green tea about eight years ago and that seems to work better for me. It has about half the caffeine content of coffee, plus it contains an amino acid called theanine, which is a mood elevator, so that's a nice bonus. :mrgreen:

#27 · (Edited)
I love drinking my morning coffee right before practicing clarinet, which I find much less fun to practice than sax, as I'm quite sensitive to caffeine and tend to get a bit euphoric post-consumption. I can't say I've noticed it affecting my breathing or playing in general, aside from making me less judgmental and generally enthusiastic about it, LOL. I'll have to pay more attention to it.

Caffeine: providing the focus that is oh so essential to long tones. :)

#28 ·
I've never noticed a problem with caffeine: in fact, as some others have said, I sometimes like to drink some coffee or tea before practicing if I'm feeling a little lethargic.

But I have experienced something like what the OP describes when using my prescription allergy medication. I have an inhaler that I need to use when allergies are particularly bad: it works, as far as stopping the sneezing and coughing, but it tends to make me jittery. When playing the sax after using the inhaler, it does sometimes seem harder to control the airflow.

#31 ·
About two hours before playing, I don't eat or drink anything that might end up living forever in my sax.

But on the topic of coffee, I do a BIG STRONG Turkish coffee when I have something important on. I've noticed that colours are turned up to extra vivid. I stare at the sky and trees thinking how awesome everything looks.

#32 ·
As we all know, one person doesn't make a study. I just threw the idea out here to see if people recognize something in it.
It might be so that there are reasons why I drink more coffee from time to time (less sleep, more pressure at work), which might be reasons in themselves for having a less steady breath.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.