Sax on the Web Forum banner

Curved vs. Straight Soprano Saxophones and Cheap Deals

18K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  ErikJon 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm new here, and registered after reading a bunch of the forum posts and discussions here! Anyways, I have a few questions that could use some clarification!

I'm currently in High School Band, Jazz Band, and Marching Band. In all three of these, I play Alto Saxophone - When I'm indoors I play on a Yamaha Custom Z YAS-82Z Professional Alto Saxophone (Amazing sax, highly recommend it btw). When marching, I use a rented Yamaha student model that feels very similar to my professional one. I've also played a bit of Tenor and Bari.

For my schools musical, my pit orchestra only has one alto seat, and one soprano seat. I have second chair in the alto section, so I will not be able to play Alto Saxophone in pit. However, I can take the Soprano seat provided I can get a Soprano Saxophone!

I've been poking around online, and plan on purchasing a low-mid end model during the black friday sales.

Should I be looking at curved sopranos or straight sopranos? Is there any difference in fingerings or embouchure? If so, which will be an easier adjustment to make from playing on only Alto Saxophone for the past seven years?

And I may as well ask? Anyone have any cheap ($400) or less recomendations for me? So far this Mendini deal on Amazon has been the best.

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to SOTW. I don't believe there is any difference (except for the obvious shape) among curved, straight, tipped-bells (improperly called saxellos - a Saxello was made by King in the 1920's and has distinct features different than the tipped-bells we see these days) and all the other iterations of sopranos.

Buy the best you can afford - soprano is not a horn to try to do on the cheap. Have some players been successful with inexpensive sopranos? Sure, but I'm betting they knew what they were doing, could afford the mistake if one was made, OR lucked into it.

Some here have had success with the Bauhaus sopranos, but as I just stated, they pretty much knew what they were doing - not that you don't, but if you are new to sopranos, then . . .

Dave Kessler (a site sponsor) has decent new sopranos but you are looking at $1K +/-. As far as the Mendidn - I have no experience with them but I wouldn't buy one of those with your money. But that's just me. DAVE

#3 ·
Should I be looking at curved sopranos or straight sopranos? Is there any difference in fingerings or embouchure? If so, which will be an easier adjustment to make from playing on only Alto Saxophone for two years?
The fingerings and embouchure are the same. There are more straight sopranos to choose from, and more important, more good straight sops available in the market. Finding a budget-priced but playable straight sop probably would be easier.

On the other hand, a curved soprano probably would make for a marginally easier transition from alto, because your hand and arm positions would have to change less. This is particularly true if you get a very recent curved sop with extra curvature in the neck. But even older curved sops don't require as much arm extension as straight sops (necessary to get the mouthpiece to enter the mouth at the correct angle). This could make a difference in the pit, if you face tight confines. If you get a straight sop, get one with a curved neck; that will help with positioning.

#5 ·
This could make a difference in the pit, if you face tight confines.
Space isn't really an issue, my school doesn't even have a pit enclosure, we will be off to the side of the stage most likely

#7 ·
I suspect that at your age, you will experience many changes of opinion as you progress as a player. Whatever you decide, you will likely have a change of heart down the road. Select a curvy now and you will want a straight one later - and vice versa.

I have both and prefer the straight ones but the curvies do have their role in society.

What a person sees often influences what they hear. Whatever you choose, know that out front the audience will not hear any difference, especially if they can't see you.

Cramped playing conditions? Curved. Loud, electric environments? Curved. Traveling on commercial air? Curved. Other than that, I go straight sopranos all the time. DAVE

#8 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, I checked with my local music stores and none of them carry Sopranos on site so I will not be able to try one before ordering. So far I'm considering this Allora Straight Soprano, this straight Mendini Soprano, this straight Mendini Soprano, this extremely marked down straight straight Mendini Soprano (Not sure why, please share if you know), and finally, this curved Mendini Soprano

I do have concerns with purchasing Mendini, but there isn't much else in its price range, so if you know of anything better less than $400, please share!

Edit: I also intend to by a better mouthpiece regardless of which I choose, and some Vandoren 2.5/3 Reeds to go with it. Also, I want your opinions on which is the best!

#9 ·
... so if you know of anything better less than $400, please share!
At that price point, you would be buying absolute junk. Might not even play in tune with the rest of the pit; especially since you're not an experienced soprano player to begin with and only have two years of alto under your belt. Don't waste your money and don't let anyone here talk you into buying one for this single opportunity. Talk to your director and see if maybe someone knows somebody with a soprano you can try out and maybe borrow (if you are able to handle it and play it in tune).

#10 ·
Dave Kessler has an article on his blog talking about how much work playing a soprano sax in tune is. A cheap horn is not doing you any favors.
Don't let people bully you into getting horns for work! Just because it's smaller doesn't mean it'll be any cheaper than the bari they'll make you buy next time they switch up musicals.

#15 ·
Too right. Compared to its larger siblings, soprano is like blowing into a piece of cheese. Very small diameter pipe, into which you must focus your air stream. Issues! :bluewink:

#12 ·
Curved sopranos have a more mellow sound than straight ones. This is noticeable even on the Taiwan and China 'tipped-bell' sopranos. Its also very easy to prove - play a soprano with two necks - straight and curved. The curved neck will be noticeably more mellow. With a 'full-curved' soprano, the difference is much greater. I'd say get a straight soprano with the two necks, which is probably the most popular configuration going. I play a Taiwan 'tipped-bell' from about 15 years ago and I get a lot of compliments (from musicians, sound men, etc.) about the good intonation and fat sound. The Taiwan saxes have improved in many areas over the years. That's where I would draw the line - no mainland China saxes.

#14 ·
I agree with everyone, a sax at that price is not recommended. You can get good Soprano's starting at around the $600 dollar range, but you have to make sure they are made very well. I was in your shoes in January of this year and decided to go with, as some have stated, one of the Kessler brand Soprano's. I was extremely happy with my purchase, got it around February and it's definitely money well spent. If you want, you can listen to a recording of mine (it's the Kessler dark lacquer Soprano) about a day after I got it on my YouTube channel in my signature or my newest song I made using the same Sax here http://www.soundblend.com/store/release/509247

I hope you find what you're looking for. I can only vouch for Kessler Soprano's since it was my first Soprano and I don't plan to get another one unless this one gets damaged or stolen. Good luck! :)

#16 ·
Playing 7 years AND has a professional alto, I don't think we have anything useful to offer this advanced player.

Take a couple gigs and buy a Selmer. It s the only soprano a real pro will ever play. And get a mk vi btw ,it's the only sax worth paying more than $400 for.

Or you could see if your school has a soprano, and borrow it while you try to play it in tune.

#21 ·
I already checked, my school does not have a soprano saxophone, and neither do any of the other saxophones in the section.

#17 ·
Based on threads here & Amanda's testing AND sticking withbthe OP price limit I would recommend the Taishan and Venus. Bauhaus were less expensive a few years ago, then got popular as a good 'cheap' horn with good reviews and the price shot up.
Venus were popular a few years ago & the Taishan last year.
Would I say these are better than something more expesive? Of course not, but Amanda's thoughts of the Taishan was that it was acceptable. If the main purpose for this is playing in a HS pit band with the audience primarily parents & students, these would be good enough IMO.
Who knows, the sop may not be for you?
If you buy used & decide you'd like to play sop on a more advanced enviroment you can sell it ithout losing much (if any) and buy a better sop.
JMHO

#20 ·
I disagree with 1saxman's claim that curvies are more mellow than straight sopranos. First of all, it depends on many factors, the least of which is a horn's shape. Second of all, the player is probably the worst person to assess whether or not any instrument is harsh or mellow. Do a recording from out front - or listen to others out front (if they can play both shapes) and you will probably find no REAL differences between the two horns.

My assertions are based on having owned many examples of all soprano shapes (save for the recently discussed Lyon and Healey curved-bell), having recorded with both shapes (and necks), and having listened from the audience over the years to many sopranos.

I accept the curved vs. straight-neck comparison - I MUCH prefer straight necks, but that has little if anything to do with an overall design.

Of course this all subjective because there is no proof. DAVE

#23 ·
I disagree with 1saxman's claim that curvies are more mellow than straight sopranos.
Some years ago a buddy of mine brought over his straight Buescher True Tone soprano to compare with my curved one. At first the straight one didn't sound as full and vibrant as my curved; that is until I played the straight one pointing it towards a wall in front of me instead of towards the floor. Then it sounded exactly the same as mine.

#22 ·
10 years ago myself and an other Clarinet player switched to Sop for regular Asian wedding gigs that required a louder setup than Clarinet. He had a curvy and I a straight, with straight neck. The curvy sounded loud enough standing next to it but It was obvious that my straight had more projection. Of course that only proves that two Clarinet players with different sops sounded different playing different sops.

#24 ·
Grumps: I believe it. Consistent with what I've experienced.

But once again, trying to draw a conclusion about ALL curvies and ALL straights based on one or two situations is probably not a true test of the premise. There well may be differences among various curvies and straights, but the differences could just as well switch with two different horns with two different players in two different playing environments. Of course you know this already - I write it for those readers who may not have considered such things - as is often the case here on SOTW. And I'm NOT trying to "Gruber" the readership.

AND, FWIW, not too long ago I had two straight Buescher TT sopranos about three thousand numbers apart (meaning they were both 1928 models in silver). I've since sold both of them. The point is that they were both different animals and my conclusion is that one would need to test these theories against hundreds of horns to really prove that curvies are more mellow than straights. DAVE

#28 ·
I'm in Freehold, New Jersey, but I'm not going to be able to drive anywhere distant as I'm only 16 and don't exactly have a license :p. I'd definitely consider buying a used one if it could be shipped, and I'd pay for that too. Not sure how happy my folks are going to be if I don't buy from an "authorized seller" such as Amazon or Music and Arts, but I could probably work something out with them. And if anyone knows a store that rents them out in NJ, I'd love to hear about it.

#29 ·
I hope it's ok to write this in a sax forum, but this is the truth as I see it. It's only an instrument. Yes, it's fun to play a nice one, but it doesn't matter all that much. If my saxophone (I play a very nice curved soprano) will get stolen I would be very sad, but I would get another one. My career won't be over. If you only spend $400 you shouldn't think too much about it. Go to a store and pick up the one that you like most at the moment.

Who is your favorite soprano player?

#34 ·
If the op hasn't selected a sop yet, I would hands down recommend a Yamaha 475, used. Obviously it needs to be in good nick but they are consistent and build quality, tone, ease of play will help you [especially as a young relatively inexperienced player].
I got lucky with a cheapie Bb sop but situation is different. 40 years playing experience, didn't need it for musical orchestra, could afford to take a chance, can do some work on the sax myself if needed, and didn't need to answer to anyone if my risk ended up in a throwaway new instrument. Even with luck and a decent Chinese horn, it still cannot keep up with a nice 475; however, for most stuff, I play the vintage C-sop now anyhow.

#35 ·
It's always nice to have seasoned veteran players chime in with deeper wisdom from many years of experience, to quell the hype and dispell the myths. It takes maturity to listen to wise counsel. Thanks, Dave, Grumps, et al.

#40 ·
Wow. We are really getting some good stories from just a simple zombie thread. I'll have to resurrect them more often. $5,000 for a spare soprano? $6,000 for a Keilwerth that took one year to be shipped? What next? $7,000 for a Bundy with the keys put on backward that sounds like a tuba?

Anyway, thanks for the great feedback.

#41 ·
$6,000 for a Keilwerth that took one year to be shipped?
Well...to be honest, it took about 10 months for my JK soprano to be shipped. But I was on tour when it arrived at my dealer, so I couldn't pick it up for another 2 1/2 months. Plus it was a special order for the finish, so it took longer than normal.

#45 ·
Holy smokes, JCBigler. You've got plenty of patience. I salute you.

Yes, the prices seem to have sky-rocketed on saxophones in recent years. Turf3 got some good deals. Had I known that prices were going to go up, I would have kept my old horns as an investment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.