Sax on the Web Forum banner

Looking for Saxophone/Piano Worship Music

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  56Buick 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! My bad if I'm posting this in the wrong part of the forum.

Anyway, I play alto saxophone at my church (kind of traditional), and I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations as far as alto sax and piano are concerned. Preferably something that has sheet music and strikes a tasteful mix between straight-up traditional and something more "jazzy"? For a quick example, check out the following link:

http://www.lorenz.com/product.aspx?id=30_2239l (click on "This is My Father's World/He's Got the Whole World in His Hands")

Really anything that packs some emotional punch.

Thanks so much! :D

#2 ·
I have been walking that line for several years now, wanting to play good, solid, traditional music with an upbeat tempo that didn't destroy the message of the song. I have had to arrange most of what I have played and have it down pretty good now. The last one was probably my best so far - 'Wonderful Grace of Jesus' with 4 hand piano, trumpet, and tenor sax. Everybody loved it, from the old timers to the teens.

Are you good at arranging? The way I got started was by finding an interesting piano arrangement of the song I want to play, then play it several times and listen to what I am hearing in my mind that the sax, trumpet, trombone, cello, etc would be playing. Ask the Lord to guide you. It always amazes me what He gives me. I do one solo / duet / quartet / etc. a month and He just keeps the ideas coming! It's also very fulfilling to have basically 'created' a new song that hopefully uplifts the audience, stimulates their minds to worship, and gives God the glory! Give it a shot!

#3 ·
Last year, we did "Old time religion" an arrangement from the salvation army band...I did it on the Cmel but if you purchase the piano chart and lead sheets, it comes with c and Bb parts...you can certainly transpose to alto and it will still be the correct range.
Also, just yesterday, did my own arrangement of shout to the lord with what a friend we have in Jesus inserted into the chorus on tenor with piano...the crowd loved it...if you are interested in that one shoot me a pm. [would still need to be transposed from Bb to Eb, however].

#4 ·
I agree with Mikebox and Saxacussionist arranging music is the way to go. I just did an arrangement for Tenor sax; alto sax; and trombone of Were you There. I took the parts out of the standard hymnal and and transposed them. It was a quick arrangement for my church. I've done more elaborate ones but that was also how I got started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.