P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Best MP for tranny Conn?

Default Best MP for tranny Conn?

Hi all,

I was hoping for a vote for the best mouthpiece for a tranitional era Conn tenor. I have a Conn stencil, "tranny" ,and am pretty much pleased with the Meyer 8M mouthpice that I recently bought for it. I play it with a Vandoren 2-1/2 reed. It (the Meyer) does lack a certain fatness, or complexity of sound. But aside from the lack of any especially remarkable tone it seems to do most everything else pretty well. It even gets a decent edge when pushed. But you do have to push it to hear it "bark".

So I am wondering, what is the universal favorite for this horn? My horn happens to be a 10M with "chu" keywork. I bet there is a better all-around MP for this horn but the Meyer seems to be a good start. Maybe a Vandoren V5?

All suggestions and constructive comments are very welcome. Thanks.

Randy

Distinguished SOTW Member

I use either a dukoff D7 or a metal berg 115/0 on my chu tenor. The good thing about chu's is that they are very mpc friendly
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy2
    So I am wondering, what is the universal favorite for this horn?
    I've been playing various Conn tenors for over a decade and I'm still wondering. There's no clear frontrunner, although a lot of us (me included) dig metal Links. I've also used a metal Berg (low baffle= /2 or /3) and a nickel-plated Dukoff D from the 60s in addition to various Morgans, a Lamberson SB and vintage rubber pieces.

The main thing is intonation. Some pieces - mostly modern, smaller chambered - make you pull sharp on the high notes, due to the different bore dimensions of Conns vs. today's horns. If you have the extra wide 10M bore, the whole horn can be sharp with these pieces. I don't find this a problem with the above pieces.

If it's fatness and complexity you're after, I'd check out some of the Morgan offerings. They're basically middle-of-the-road in style. Low-baffled, round-chambered. Easy blowing and put out some very lush sound. Even their classical C piece could be used in a smaller-group jazz context.

The Lamberson SB is a very special mpc. It's medium baffled and can really deliver a sizzling edge, but can also be velvety and delicate when you back off on it at softer dynamics. It's a jazz piece thru and thru, but a very versatile one. Lamberson also makes J and L pieces, darker playing, and modeled after the famous vintage Links and/or Meyers.

Distinguished SOTW Member OnyxSax's Avatar

I use a very early Rovner on mine. My particular Rovner was one of his original prototypes. However, I don't know if I would recommend going that route as it appears my Rovner may have been a one-off production.

Chus are definitely more mouthpiece-friendly than the later 10Ms. They will definitely like the same mouthpieces that work well on the 10Ms: Links, Bergs and Meyers. You may be able to find a more modern, radically chambered mouthpiece that will work well on your Chu (like my Rovner). The best advice would be to try out as many mouthpieces as you can and find the one that works best for you.
    Ask me about my Vintage Conns and Bueschers!

RPC .120R oh man is it good !!!!! after trying so many pieces for my '38 10M this totally locked in... Fat !

Any more suggestions for a more focused and edgy MP (for funk etc) for a chu? I have heard that these things really scream when hooked up with a mean mouthpiece.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Sounds like dukoff again!!!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave dix
    Sounds like dukoff again!!!
    Dave
    Dave, what kind of stuff do you play on your D7/Chu, is it too bright to do jazz with?