Sax on the Web Forum banner

Zephyr Tenor 264xxx vs Selmer Mk6- Conn 10m - The Martin.

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Jazziswaswillbe 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

I've a mark VI 189xxx, a The Martin 202xxx and a Conn 10M 300xxx..all beautiful saxes that play really amazing. Few days ago i've played a King zephyr tenor 264xxx III series..it has match neck , round keys, double socket. it's a military model, so no engraved on the bell, with the written "U.S"
It really shocked me!!! OMG!!! it's incredible!!!

The only sax of my three that can competes it's the mark VI 189xxx! This King it's incredible because it really plays in modern way, it's like a mark Vi or keulwerth sx 90r..it has tremendous power but it's not too spread as Conn, it' big but it's loud, bright sound with really modern sound and projection!!
It plays fantastic as my mk6 in Pop, Funk, R&b but not only. It's scream sax!
Really, i 've never played nothing as this beast! I don't know if it's a strange thing, so i've bought it and i've sold my martin 202xxx!!

The Martin 202xxx it's modern sound, (more near to zephyr as intention) but it plays more gently and with less projection and power in generally especially on the lower notes.

The Conn in really far and another thing from King zephyr, another sound style and "vision"..it's old conception sound.

This King can substitute in all things my mK6 189xxx, really ..and in the upper register it plays even more open and nervous!!
I've even played the same day, another King zephyr ( no military) and it plays not good as this zephyr "military" i've bought.

I don't know if the military version it's better than the "normal" and engraved zephyr, have you some experience on this fact?

Everyway are there people that have King Zephyr tenor saxes that play so modern, screaming, loud??

Thanks so much!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I picked up a Z tenor in 1963 and thought it was an OK horn (I was 16 and paid $15 for it with new pads) but fell into the Mark VI mystique and got a new VI in 1965. I used the Selmer in college for a year and while back home on vacation I took out the Z and thought,,,,,,hmmm, not bad so I took it back to college. After comparing, I sold the Mark VI and kept the Z for a few years until I quit playing (for a while). Never overlook a King or Martin tenor.

#7 ·
I have to say that this zephyr it's really better than some super 20 i've tried! The super 20 full pearls for example, i remember it was easy and fast , quick attack and response but in general the sound it was less modern and with less projection and it was even thinner..this zephyr it's on another planet..this is the curious thing..it's an extraordinary zephyr, i don't know the reason but this sax plays like a mix of a keilwerth sx 90 r and a selmer mark VI six digit on the bright side.

I've noticed that all instrument with solid silver part ( especially neck) have less "colours" ..i don 't know how say, but all king super 20 altos or tenors i've played had something that it was no totally balanced, i mean had killing upper notes(like this zephyr) but the lower register was really more thin and less power..I've noticed this element but it's only my experience..

#9 ·
I bought a Military Zephyr tenor s/n 265xxx from Quinn the Eskimo 5 years ago for $865. Until then, I was playing a fabulous SML Gold Medal I, but when I tried the Z first time, I was sold, and the SML was sold as well, later on. I understand that the Military Zephyrs had the same bore as the Special and the Super 20. I have also read in Saxpics that for non-military Zephyrs, the bore is identical to the Super 20 from s/n 275xxx until s/n 305xxx. Anyhow, I completely agree with the OP. Besides the wonderful sound, the action is incredibly smooth and fast.

#10 ·
I have all the tenors listed in the OP's title. I prefer the King to the Conn. I sometimes find the Conn too spread. I think the King is a better design. I haven't done much head to head with the Martin. I think all of them can beat the VI in tone in some aspects. Yet the ergos of the VI smoke the others. The one horn I have not got to try is a Super 20. I dont believe that it would sound different than a Zephyr. Maybe a Silver Sonic would. I do realize there are some ergo improvements in the S20 over the Zephyr.

Also I have sold several Zephyrs. I keep two in my collection. The necks have all been interchangeable and I believe there is no difference in a military version. I have not checked the bore with the S20.

#12 ·
I have owned two Zephyrs - 1945 and '49. Don't remember serial numbers. My friend Tim McCall plays an early '50's Zephyr that sounds as good as any tenor I've heard or played. Just so much better than mine and I liked my two a lot. My tech said the necks were improved early '50's. Do you know if that Is the difference?

#11 ·
Maybe the US military got the best sounding Zephyrs of the bunch tried.

Interesting also that your 264xxx tenor is a lower serial # than those touted as the best Zephyrs, approx 275xxx-350xxx (same body as S20)
... from what I have read on the, don't-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet.
... guess you gotta blow 'em.

Enjoy your Zephyr, Paul!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.